Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
In case you haven't heard, at today's Apple Event, Steve Jobs made a few new product announcements. First, Apple released a new iBook based on a G3 500Mhz processor, the lowend model retailing for $1,299. (Check the Apple Store for other config info and prices.) The 4.9lb, 1.35"-thick laptop sports a 12.1" LCD screen with a resolution of 1024x768 and is made of polycarbonate plastic, but it looks very much like the Ti PowerBook, in the photos at least.
After this new hardware announcement, Jobs announced that the OS X v10.0.2 update and iTunes v1.1.1 would be available as of 12pm PDT today. According to user reports that I've been reading over the last hour or so, it seems that the v10.0.2 update brings some noticable improvements:

- Faster window drag & resize in the Finder
- Much faster Finder loading
- Less apparent VM paging with certain, common operations
- Improved Monitors control panel
- An actual RagePro driver
- A Radeon driver

...while the new iTunes brings audio CD-burning and full screen (and fast) visuals to OS X. Great stuff, it would seem. Please offer your experiences in our discussion thread.
Links to some relevant TIL's (posted today):

iBook and iBook (FireWire): Sound Capabilities
Mac OS X 10.0.2 Update Information and Software
About iTunes for Mac OS X
Memory Configurations: Portable, PowerBook, iBook
iTunes 1.1.1 for Mac OS X: USB CD-RW Drives Should Be Set to 2x
iTunes for Mac OS X: Set Sleep to Never When Burning Audio CDs

[Edited by Macrumors on 05-02-2001 at 05:12 PM]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Performance...

Personally, I don't notice any increase in speed with this update as far as window resizing (on either my Rage 128 or Rage Pro) or Finder load speed. Still...an upgrade is a good thing.

iTunes 1.1.1 still says "cannot find CD burner or software" when I hit 'Burn' and have turned on my Que! USB CD-RW drive... Odd. I know this drive is specifically supported under the latest OS 9 iTunes...

bp

ink

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2001
Re: I'm getting an iBook.

Originally posted by From Win to Mac
Who's getting an iBook ?
[P]
Me! [P]
This will be the first Mac I bought since I bought a Mac Classic 10 years ago; I also have a Power Computing PowerBase 180 (PPC 603 @180mhz with 128mb RAM), but I have been using my 400mhz Celeron and 700mhz Athlon with Linux for the last few years. I actually bought an iBook SE last week from Sears and I returned it yesterday when the new iBooks came out; I preordered the iBook/DVD -- I wonder when they will ship...

macboy

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
Burning with OS X

Maybe try going to Que's web site and downloading a driver for MAC OS X. Try that maybe it will work.

MacBoy

macboy

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2001
iBooks

I love the new iBooks just by looking at them. TO bad it is not a G4! Who cares. I am going to buy one after I test drive it when they are shipped to the stores. I can't wait to try it out! I also will buy more Ram(total of 256) and OS X.

MacBoy

berglua

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2001
10.0.2 update = Sound!

The biggie for me (and many other dual processor owners) is that sound output is now like the Energizer Bunny - It keeps going and going and going...

The unfortunate thing appears to be that while the update fixed the sound problems on the dual processor G4s, it seems to have messed up the sound on many beige G3s. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.