Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jevel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
What is this, and even more important; why do I have it? :confused:

-KJ (new to Mac...)

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
The task bar is the thing at the top of the screen, you don't need the eject option up there you can get rid of it by:
Hold the command key (Apple), click on the icon drag it out, release the button, release the command(Apple) key.

zellin

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
He means the menu bar. And that isn't a "close superdrive", it's an "eject" insert a disc and you will see its true meaning.

jevel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Menu bar or whatever it´s called. It´s the bar at the top with different icons in the right corner.

I´ve got an eject icon, that´s right, but if I leave the SuperDrive empty and click it, I get a drop down menu labelled "Close SuperDrive (F12)".

My question was; why has it suddenly appeared? I haven´t changed anything here?

-KJ

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
It's a built in .menu file. Someone may have double-clicked the file, or enabled an option somewhere.

jevel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
And now for the final question; How do I get rid of it? I don´t need it, and I don´t like my menubar cluttered.

-KJ

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
As in my post above:

"You can get rid of it by:
Hold the command key (Apple), click on the icon drag it out, release the mouse button, release the command(Apple) key."

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I believe a taskbar is what is at the lower right hand corner of Windows' start menu/application bar or whatever that would be called. And yes, just command drag the icon off of the menu bar.

jevel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by Wes
As in my post above:

"You can get rid of it by:
Hold the command key (Apple), click on the icon drag it out, release the mouse button, release the command(Apple) key."

Didn´t see that first post, saw this one, and it worked like charm! Thanks, W!

-KJ

jevel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
And as this is solved, a new problem... I made a tarball with all my documents (.tar archive) on my old laptop, and moved it via an external drive onto this PB. As I was trying to move it now, I got the "Something is using this file, are you sure you want to move it? This may cause problems with the application using the file."

I checked and rechecked, and nothing other than Finder was running. I restarted the computer, and still the same error. I thought what the heck, and pressed "Yes" to forcemove it, and Wham! The file is no longer in the old directory, and not in the new directory. I´ve checked the recycle bin, and no go.

What happened, and where is my work?

-KJ :confused:

zellin

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Wow, I can tell you are a recent switcher. From the "taskbar" to the "recycle bin".
Was your old laptop a Mac? I haven't seen any message like that on X (maybe it was in 9, but I haven't used 9 in FOREVER!!!)
Did you check what was visible or did you check all processes?

jevel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Yup. A recent switcher. I´m on Panther as stated above, and I have the Norwegian version, so I try to translate "on the fly". As long as you get what I´m referring to, it´s OK.

My old laptop was an IBM, also as stated above. :)

I did a ps -aux and a top to see if I could find any hanging apps, but no go.

Anyone have an idea?

-KJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.