Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seh80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
Chicago, IL USA
Today, my new core 2 duo iMac came to replace my G4 Mini.

Last night, I used SuperDuper to put the contents of the Mini on my NewerTech Mini Stack. This worked perfectly.

Now I tried to boot from the Mini Stack, but it wont allow it. I already returned the Mini to it's factory defaults so I can give it as new to the new owner.

I know I can drag files from the mounted Mini Stack, but I would really like to use SuperDuper to put everything on the iMac as it was on the Mini. Is this impossible? Is this a matter of PPC stuff not playing well with Intel?

I DID search before posting, but I couldn't find anything. Thanks for any help!!

paradillon

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2004
Migration Assistant?

Don't know if you have tried the migration assistant in the utilities folder or not, maybe you have rule that out for some reason. It is apples solution. :)

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
did you connect the ministack using firewire? IIRC the imac wont boot from an external using usb

seh80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
Chicago, IL USA
I'm not a fan of the migration assistant, it was very buggy and left me with more problems than it was worth. I am connected via firewire. Thank you both for your replies.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
hmmm, fishing for stuff that might be the issue; the system software that's on the ministack, did you put it there from the imac or the mini? it would need to be from the imac so it has the intel stuff

seh80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
Chicago, IL USA
Well that makes sense! I'm unsure of what to do now though. Can I somehow get just the OS off of the external and leave everything else alone? Or could I add the intel version of os x to the hd (without wiping it out first), boot off of it, and get my files like that? Or since they were saved in the ppc save, will I just not be able to do the total SuperDuper putting back of my stuff? I'm sorry for all of the stupid questions, this is just totally new ground for me.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
uhh i was conused by your last post... but

If on your ministack you have a PPC version of OSX than im not sure. If you boot your intel mac w/ its internal HD, than connect the mini stack, and than "udpate" the OS w/ the Intel Version of OS X to the ministack, it might work... might. And your files should be just fine.

This is in theory. Ive never tried so... its new ground for me to.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
I couldn't tell if you had tried it this time or in the past but I would just use Migration Assistant.

I had no problems going from my iBook to my MBP.

Also had no problems using SuperDuper! to my external HD and using Migration Assistant back to my internal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.