Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Game developer thatgamecompany appeared on stage at the Apple Event yesterday with a title that will be launching exclusively on the iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV soon, called Sky. The game is described as a "social adventure" where players navigate a world in the clouds alongside their friends, and marks thatgamecompany's first game in five years, since 2012's Journey.

a11-bionic-iphone-x.jpg

Journey was a game that automatically matched players with random other people online throughout the adventure, but it was impossible to join up with a specific friend. In its press release for the game, along with a new interview with president and creative director Jenova Chen, thatgamecompany explained that many fans wrote them after Journey and asked for "a game where they could play together" with friends and family members.

The idea of a wider audience playing the game on smartphones, not just video game consoles, led the developer to launch Sky mobile first and exclusively on Apple devices. This will make it easier to play the game with others, and thatgamecompany said it is "a game specially created to be played, and shared, among loved ones and family." During the keynote, the company confirmed that up to eight players from anywhere in the world can play together at a time.

We wanted as many people to love games, and so we were encouraged to explore this idea at thatgamecompany. Which brings our games, for the first time, to mobile - a platform that many have access to, the world over.

It's hard to explain the game, but a good place would be to say that Sky is a game specially created to be played, and shared, among loved ones and family. If you can imagine the delight of visiting a theme park where lasting memories are made, we envision Sky will sometimes feel like that.
In a six-minute interview with Geoff Keighley, thatgamecompany president and creative director Jenova Chen -- who was on stage during Apple's keynote -- said that it's "difficult" to summarize the entire game, but many of its mechanics surround "giving" to and helping out other players. Sky is set in a "whimsical" world above the clouds, where a great civilization once resided but is currently in ruins. Chen mentioned that the idea behind this world and the game as a whole was to build a theme park of sorts, where players can return daily and spend minutes or hours discovering new lands alone or with friends.

He also hinted at frequent updates and changes coming to the world, stating that it is "constantly evolving" and when players return there might be new places and sections of the world that open up that weren't there before. Because of the consistent additions and new discoveries happening in the game, Chen compared Sky to a television series that players can return to and experience new chapters in the story and game environment.

A specific release date and price point for Sky have still not been revealed by thatgamecompany, but Chen mentioned that it should arrive on tvOS and iOS "this winter." The company encourages those interested to stay up-to-date on development through a newsletter sign-up than can be found on the game's webpage.

Article Link: New Interview Reveals More Details About Upcoming tvOS/iOS Social Adventure Game 'Sky'

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
That was a very pleasant looking game to watch. I hope it's more engaging than he made it seem with the "you can do everything with one finger" line.

However that's kind of the lameness behind Apple TV. They seriously need a controller, or better remote.
[doublepost=1505310620][/doublepost]
All I can see on any of these demos and examples is that bloody notch!

Yeah worst design ever.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I wonder how the A10X Fusion, and even the new A11Bionic, compares to the Nintendo Switch processor...

We already know as the Nintendo Switch uses a standard NVIDIA Tegra X1;

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-A10X-Fusion-SoC-Processor-Benchmarks-and-Specs.227440.0.html
https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Tegra-X1-Maxwell-GPU.137006.0.html

As you can see the Apple A10X demolishes the Tegra X1 in terms of CPU performance in single-threaded and is also better in multi-threaded scenarios. On GPU the A10X is slightly behind the Tegra X1.

The Apple A11 has some impressive improvements over the A10(X) so single-threaded should be even better and multi-threaded is much better. The Tegra X1 isn't in the same league, not at all.

On GPU we don't really know. The "X" versions of the SoC's tend to have greater GPU so we don't know whether the regular non-X A11 will outperform the A10X on GPU performance. A11 is Apple's very first using their own in-house GPU, previous generations have used custom ones from PowerVR.
[doublepost=1505311242][/doublepost]
'Journey' Rip-off

It's from the same company..

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don’t play iOS games because I don’t like my fingers obscuring the display. So that notch man. I think I’ll wait for the iPhone XS where they’ll use mirrors or some magic to hide the notch. That’s just too distracting, man, and I can you even imagine trying to watch a video on that with its curved corners too? Very silly design.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I’ll be waiting for this to come to Steam. I don’t like playing games like this with a touchscreen.

I don’t play iOS games because I don’t like my fingers obscuring the display. So that notch man. I think I’ll wait for the iPhone XS where they’ll use mirrors or some magic to hide the notch. That’s just too distracting, man, and I can you even imagine trying to watch a video on that with its curved corners too? Very silly design.

OT, but according to Jason Snell on the latest Upgrade, videos go up to the notch. They don’t obscure content unless you “zoom in.” I was worried too after watching the marketing video.

Reactions: 0098386

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I wonder how the A10X Fusion, and even the new A11Bionic, compares to the Nintendo Switch processor...

The Tegra X1 is quite weak. I'd imagine even an A9 or A9X is faster, forget about the A11.

I think Apple should release a proper controller for the Apple TV and push console gaming. They could even make the iPad Pro a Nintendo Switch competitor. It's got the horsepower.

By default, videos are played at a native 16:9 ratio with black bars.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
A game for snowflakes. Yawn......
The term ‘snowflake’ did not originate from where you think. It represents the ashes from WWII concentration camps that were mistaken as snowflakes. Please don’t use that word.

And, there’s nothing wrong with peaceful games, especially from a company with a reputation for exceptional vision.
[doublepost=1505312828][/doublepost]
I'm intrigued enough by the game to want to try it out. Can't tell much from the demo, but the experience seems to mimimc some of my best dreams. Hope the reality matches the hype - but so far it looks impressive.
Agreed. I signed up for their newsletter so I could get an update when it’s released. Looks amazing!

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I'm really excited for this, Journey was one of the best gaming experiences I ever had. I hope it doesn't stay Apple exclusive forever and eventually makes its way to more traditional consoles

RobQuads

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2010
I wonder how long before Apple get a take-down request from Sky in the UK? Another computer game has already had to not use the name "Sky" due to a block but Sky TV

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
However that's kind of the lameness behind Apple TV. They seriously need a controller, or better remote.

Controllers were supported at launch with the ATV4, and the requirement for TVOS games to be playable with the ATV remote was dropped in June of 2016. Non-issue...

Reactions: Vanilla35

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Controllers were supported at launch with the ATV4, and the requirement for TVOS games to be playable with the ATV remote was dropped in June of 2016. Non-issue...

You can’t buy a good one, though. If Apple is serious about AppleTV gaming then it should make one itself.

I'm really excited for this, Journey was one of the best gaming experiences I ever had. I hope it doesn't stay Apple exclusive forever and eventually makes its way to more traditional consoles

It’s just timed exclusivity: https://pcgamesn.com/sky/thatgamecompany-sky-pc

If you can't properly explain your game, it doesn't bode well for its success.

The less you knew about Journey going in, the better. I think this will be similar.

Reactions: Hastings101

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
I think Apple should release a proper controller for the Apple TV and push console gaming. They could even make the iPad Pro a Nintendo Switch competitor. It's got the horsepower.

If gaming controllers provided Apple with an opportunity to leverage a specific technology they had developed vs. competitors, then I would agree. But I don't think they really do right now. They don't need a W1 or W2 chip to extend range because they're always used in such close proximity to either an ATV or an iOS device. I use a SteelSeries controller with both, and it's been great. Hard to see how it could be improved upon that much right now. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think Apple is all that interested in doing a product just for the industrial design part of it. There needs to be a technology platform angle too.
[doublepost=1505314345][/doublepost]
You can’t buy a good one, though.

Wow, that's way off. SteelSeries Nimbus has been around for quite awhile and is usually the top pick for iOS/ATV. Anyone who liked the Xbox 360 controller is going to be happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-...id=1505314130&sr=8-1&keywords=steelseries+ios

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
A game for snowflakes. Yawn......

Combat games are not everyone's cup of tea, you know. Personally I have not played a console game in years and I only step foot in GameStop when my kids want to go (they hate it when I go in because I like to ask for fictional games, Pan Flute Hero and Sweeney Todd for the Wii are favorites).

I prefer games of pure exploration. Endless Ocean was a personal favorite, though Aquaria was also very enjoyable.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I think this game looked a bit meh...

I had high hopes for the apple tv and gaming but they just didn't deliver imo. I was an advocate for smartphone gaming when many people shunned it, so really wanted Apple to take it to the next level with the apple tv and take on the home console market.

Anyway for someone who hadn't owned a gaming console for nearly 20 years since selling my ps2 i went out and bought a Nintendo switch at launch and we love it. So with all the power the A10X chip has- if great games aren't being made for AT4/5, it doesn't really matter how powerful it is over the Switch tegra chip.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Endless Ocean was a personal favorite

Bingo. Those types of "de-stress" games are a good choice for ATV and appeal to a lot of different people. I think Apple is on to something with thatgamecompany being a focus. Good choice for a timed exclusive. I'm sure they want the action games as well, but Journey was a title that seemed to crossover with a broad variety of gamers.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
If gaming controllers provided Apple with an opportunity to leverage a specific technology they had developed vs. competitors, then I would agree. But I don't think they really do right now. They don't need a W1 or W2 chip to extend range because they're always used in such close proximity to either an ATV or an iOS device. I use a SteelSeries controller with both, and it's been great. Hard to see how it could be improved upon that much right now. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think Apple is all that interested in doing a product just for the industrial design part of it. There needs to be a technology platform angle too.
[doublepost=1505314345][/doublepost]

Wow, that's way off. SteelSeries Nimbus has been around for quite awhile and is usually the top pick for iOS/ATV. Anyone who liked the Xbox 360 controller is going to be happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-...id=1505314130&sr=8-1&keywords=steelseries+ios

People aren't buying the controllers though. Apple needs to remove their Siri remote requirement restriction on games and include their own controller or the Steel Series.

Reactions: Cougarcat

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
For the first time in a while, I actually liked Apple's choice of game demonstrations this year. This game does look immersive, I would definitely give it a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.