Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Is the new iPad the same physically as an air 1? Will a case or screen protector for an iPad Air 1 fit the new iPads? I'm hoping they will so I can purchase one soon instead of waiting for the manufacturers to come out with new stuff.

Last edited:

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I have the same question...I hope so as I've got an Air 1 with Smart Cover and aftermarket rear case that I plan to trade in at Best Buy for $150 towards the new one!

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I have the same question...I hope so as I've got an Air 1 with Smart Cover and aftermarket rear case that I plan to trade in at Best Buy for $150 towards the new one!

Heck last night I sold my iPad 4th gen 16gb for $190 on eBay. It's hard to believe what people will pay for used stuff. Granted it was in perfect condition.

Reactions: blackjackmark

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Heck last night I sold my iPad 4th gen 16gb for $190 on eBay. It's hard to believe what people will pay for used stuff. Granted it was in perfect condition.

Wow. You did good if you made that profit. Selling in excellent condition is a huge advantage for re-sale. I have always made more when selling my products in mint condition.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No...read above. $160 after fees and shipping.

Perhaps Swappa next time? I feel they are comparable to generalized profit. eBay fee's are not cheap, then you have Pay Pal fee's to consider as well.

Also, just my opinion, eBay is loaded with fraud with buyers trying to defraud the seller. To many uncertainties and the buyer has six months to file a claim against you, which usually has Pay Pal siding with the buyer, and your out the product and The money.

dyehead

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
Not sure the actual question for this thread was answered and I'm looking to buy the regular 9.7" Ipad today - would like to get a solid case for it.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Perhaps Swappa next time? I feel they are comparable to generalized profit. eBay fee's are not cheap, then you have Pay Pal fee's to consider as well.

Also, just my opinion, eBay is loaded with fraud with buyers trying to defraud the seller. To many uncertainties and the buyer has six months to file a claim against you, which usually has Pay Pal siding with the buyer, and your out the product and The money.

Anything I've tried to sell on swappa just sits there. I wanted to get $150 for it so I put it on eBay with a buy it now of $190. Had it sold in a few hours.

jstein6

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2017
Is the new iPad the same physically as an air 1? Will a case or screen protector for an iPad Air 1 fit the new iPads? I'm hoping they will so I can purchase one soon instead of waiting for the manufacturers to come out with new stuff.

Also looking for this answer. Would love to buy an Air 1 Smart Case for the new iPad

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Not sure the actual question for this thread was answered and I'm looking to buy the regular 9.7" Ipad today - would like to get a solid case for it.

Also looking for this answer. Would love to buy an Air 1 Smart Case for the new iPad

The only different from the iPad Air 1 is the lack of a silent switch next to the volume buttons. That shouldn't affect a case though.

I believe they even placed the microphones in the same location as the iPad Air.

jstein6

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2017
The only different from the iPad Air 1 is the lack of a silent switch next to the volume buttons. That shouldn't affect a case though.

I believe they even placed the microphones in the same location as the iPad Air.

Just compared side by side pics of the Air 1 and the new iPad. In the most basic sense the new iPad will fit in the Air 1 case, but the volume buttons on the new iPad have been moved up to where the mute switch was on the Air 1, so it won't line up properly with the case; the top volume button looks to be where the hole in the case is for the mute switch.

Reactions: profets

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Just compared side by side pics of the Air 1 and the new iPad. In the most basic sense the new iPad will fit in the Air 1 case, but the volume buttons on the new iPad have been moved up to where the mute switch was on the Air 1, so it won't line up properly with the case; the top volume button looks to be where the hole in the case is for the mute switch.

Damn, you're right. Just looked at the old worn out iPad Air case I had. Forgotten that the volume buttons were covered and that there's a cut out for the mute switch. I was thinking the whole area was a cut out.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012

I wonder if the tempered glass screen protectors are the same?

NOTLguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2017
Targus has a case called the VersaType 4 in 1 which is said to work for iPad Air, Air 2, and iPad Pro. The cutouts cover all 3 styles and there is an included foam pad to take up the spare room as the iPad Air 2 and Pro are .24 inches thick while the iPad Air is .29" thick. This may work with the new iPad released this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.