Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
I didn’t really hear anyone say this - or I missed it - and didn’t even realise this would be the case, but my very first impression after just unboxing both iPad 11” and new MKB is….

The Magic Keyboard feels heavier than the actual iPad.

I’ve never had the keyboard before so did not know or realise this before buying.

I dunno, kind of an initial disappointment that after all of the research and time on forums, it surprised me that the keyboard is heavier than the iPad! Which completely takes away the USP of iPad lightness.

….anyway, so far the iPad does look and feel super cool and sexy. All good there.

• Haha
Reactions: Cirillo Gherardo

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Yes, it's heavy, but consider whether it's actually necessary for you. I bought an (even heavier) Magic Keyboard for my 2022 11" iPad Pro and have found that I don't really need it. About half of the time, I use the iPad on its own, w/o keyboard. For the other half of the time, if I use a regular folio case, I can just carry one of those ultra-thin and very light membrane keyboards from Logitech. That for me is actually a better setup because I never need to swap cases and it's very flexible in implementation. YMMV, so it's just a thought.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
If it's on the desk you have the keyboard to allow more productivity. When you want to browse, just take it off.

Pretty much this. I have the MKB and a Folio case for my 12.9 for different use cases - or at home I'll just leave the case off entirely. Yes, there's cost compared to a MacBook Air, but also great flexibility.

Reactions: ZombiePete

Cirillo Gherardo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2024
I didn’t really hear anyone say this - or I missed it - and didn’t even realise this would be the case, but my very first impression after just unboxing both iPad 11” and new MKB is….

The Magic Keyboard feels heavier than the actual iPad.

I’ve never had the keyboard before so did not know or realise this before buying.

I dunno, kind of an initial disappointment that after all of the research and time on forums, it surprised me that the keyboard is heavier than the iPad! Which completely takes away the USP of iPad lightness.

….anyway, so far the iPad does look and feel super cool and sexy. All good there.
If you're using a keyboard, it should be on a desk where the weight doesn't matter. And with it stuck on by magnet, you just pull it off to use it as a tablet. When its in your hand you should be benefiting from the weight of the iPad.

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Love the keyboard. It has immensely enhanced my enjoyment of the iPad Pro 11” 512 M4. Upgraded from 11” 2018 with Magic Keyboard. This one is streets ahead. Initially I was like…. ah, it’s the same experience. Half an hour in and I saw and felt all the advantages. Delighted with my purchase.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
IMG_1076.jpeg

I took this photo yesterday just to see how far back the centre of mass of the setup was. Bear in mind this is the new iPad Air, which probably has the highest ratio of keyboard/tablet mass of all iPads that are Magic Keyboard compatible. It's not so much top-heavy as back-heavy. I feel they could have cut a bit of dead weight from the body of the keyboard and then put a couple of small blocks of lead underneath the palm rests to make it more balanced.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
The keyboard and trackpad itself are wonderful, don’t get me wrong.

What I was a bit sad about was the weight of it all together when it does come to taking it out or moving around.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I returned my 11 with the Magic Keyboard and kept the 13” with Smart Folio case. Far more useful for me. using the 11 with the kb was a cute little computer but I prefer bigger screens and 13 with the folio case is actually lighter.

Reactions: jazz1

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
I have the early apple folding keyboard and never detach it. I mainly use my ipad for watching Youtube and Netflix, and sometimes drawing. For serious computing, it's the Studio.

Reactions: lyunmac

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
The keyboard and trackpad itself are wonderful, don’t get me wrong.

What I was a bit sad about was the weight of it all together when it does come to taking it out or moving around.
It’s definitely better than the Mini LED versions. The total weight of the tablet + the keyboard mean.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Yeah ditch the keyboard, iPad is a iPad, if you need to type non stop get a MacBook.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
View attachment 2381964
I took this photo yesterday just to see how far back the centre of mass of the setup was. Bear in mind this is the new iPad Air, which probably has the highest ratio of keyboard/tablet mass of all iPads that are Magic Keyboard compatible. It's not so much top-heavy as back-heavy. I feel they could have cut a bit of dead weight from the body of the keyboard and then put a couple of small blocks of lead underneath the palm rests to make it more balanced.
Good pic. Worth a thousand words.

• Love
Reactions: nj-morris

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Consider the Logitech keyboard. It’s a bit lighter and the keyboard is detachable from the back covering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.