Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
no change in hardware needed

I'm not sure what the ipad needs hardware wise to differentiate itself from the other idevices...

I would like to see Inkwell ported to the ipad. Real handwriting recognition for note taking. I don't like the first crop of note taking apps which are really just drawing crappy letters with your finger on lined paper. Where is InkWell?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I can do pretty much everything with an iPhone that I could do with an iPad, but turn it around and you can´t do pretty much anything with an iPad that I can do with the iPhone. (Besides maybe playing some childish games with a bigger screen :rolleyes:).

... how about viewing a full-page PDF without needing to zoom in to discern the text? The iPad is a much better reader than the iPhone.

What? I think you got a screw a little loose in your head. :D Laptop is whole different animal than iPhone/iPad. Laptop isn´t waste of money and you cannot compare it to the iPad.

Kind of like you can't really compare an iPad to an iPhone. Think about it.

Okay, what can't the iPad do that the iPhone can?

Take a picture?

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
... how about viewing a full-page PDF without needing to zoom in to discern the text? The iPad is a much better reader than the iPhone.

I´m impressed! iPhone can still do it though. iPad still needs something that iPhone CAN´T do.

and why not use laptop/desktop to read PDF files? I do, it´s very convenient. Much more convenient than with an iPad.

Kind of like you can't really compare an iPad to an iPhone. Think about it.

Yes I can, both have the same OS. The other device has just way better hardware specs and features (iPhone).

Take a picture?

Yes, and much much more.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
...besides the bigger screen of course, but that´s not enough for the money. It needs to have something special, something that the iPhone doesn´t have. Preferably hardware related.

Now it just lacks lots of the features and specs that the iPhone does have. Plus iPhone has one major advantage, portability. So the iPad is basically waste of money, not even the "luxury item" that some people calls it.

Hopefully the next one will be better. So what could be that special feature, ideas?

Bacon? If it's a waste of money, perhaps you should not buy one.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What does everyone think the chances of a capacity bump are??

Possible, but I think it depends on what is the most popular SKU. If it turns out the 16GB is the most popular current model, then Apple would have no reason to bump storage.

I would love to see more freedom, like a standalone product. Maybe modify the iOS more for the iPad, full internet (yes with flash), maybe 1080p video and 18mpix camera, maybe "square" like form factor so you can set it on the table standing to shoot video, maybe something no one hasn´t thought of yet... I´m sure they could do something special with the size of the thing to separate it from the iPhone.

Exactly as I said, you want Apple to create your mythical ideal device and not an iPad.

You don't want an iPad, you probably won't want an iPad 2 either.

This thread is exhausted.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Bacon? If it's a waste of money, perhaps you should not buy one.

Perhaps you should read the thread. I am not buying it. Maybe I´ll buy the next one if Apple will add some special features in it, that the iPhone doesn´t have.

It´s actually quite funny. The bigger device has less features and specs than the smaller device.

It´s like if you compare 21,5" iMac to an 27" iMac, but take out the iSight camera, the better resolution, put a less features and less powerful specs on the 27" (less USB, firewire ports...). And there´s your iPad compared to an iPhone! :p :apple: :D

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Wow, what a killer feature! I´m blown away! Alert the media! :D

Any hardware feature ideas for the next iPad? That you cannot put in the iPhone?

You statement is really hard to justify because you are just asking apple to add something only on iPad. But, the fact is iPad is cheaper than iPhone.

Iphone may start at 199 dollars, but without a carrier subsidy, it costs around 600-700 dollars.

ipad was designed to take an advantage of bigger screen. That's pretty much only exclusive feature.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Perhaps you should read the thread. I am not buying it. Maybe I´ll buy the next one if Apple will add some special features in it, that the iPhone doesn´t have.

It´s actually quite funny. The bigger device has less features and specs than the smaller device.

It´s like if you compare 21,5" iMac to an 27" iMac, but take out the iSight camera, the better resolution, put a less features and less powerful specs on the 27" (less USB, firewire ports...). And there´s your iPad compared to an iPhone! :p :apple: :D

shhhhh. Can you hear that?

I think its the sound of 3 Billy Goat's approaching your bridge.

:rolleyes:

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010

Sir, you are really really bad at examples. Do you even realize that there are at least 400-500 dollars costs difference in between those two models? You example doesn't apply here. Obviously, you are not even considering the manufacturing costs.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I´m impressed! iPhone can still do it though. iPad still needs something that iPhone CAN´T do.

he just told you - look at a PDF full screen without having to zoom and move around. That's something the iPhone CAN'T do. Look - perhaps you just need to realize the iPad just might not be for you. To be honest - I was one of the biggest naysayers on here after the keynote. Then I bought one and have loved it since (and yes, I own an iPhone, iMac and MacBook Pro). My gut reaction was that the device wouldn't replace anything and I saw no viable use in my life that my other devices couldn't handle. But guess what. I was wrong. Because shortly after I bought it - I went on my honeymoon. And having the larger real estate made watching movies with my wife on the plane a lot more enjoyable than when we watched them on my little PSP or iPhone. We were in the process of closing on an apartment - and were looking at PDFs and lots of emails going back and forth. Rather than handing off the iPhone, moving around the screen, etc - it was MUCH nicer to both be able to view the docs on the iPad. And when I don't use my kindle - having the real estate for eReading (while I do use my iPhone on commutes) - is a LOT nicer on the iPad. Typing emails of any length - much nicer on the iPad

Point is - can you do these things on an iPhone. Yes. Ok. You can. But the iPad makes it a LOT less painstaking. So you know what - keep your iPhone or iPod Touch if that makes you happy. It's a case where real estate makes every difference in the world. Period. It's unarguable.

Just because it's bigger doesn't mean it has to have more features. It's not the same device. Your analogy is crap. You are comparing two different products when you compare the iPad to the iPhone. My computer can't make a call on the 3G network. Does that mean it's less powerful?

Your logic is flawed. And clearly if you can't justify the purchase to yourself or if you want more from a device than it can provide - it's just not for you...

david77

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
This gave me an idea. Maybe Apple could free iPad from the syncing and make it actually a standalone product. This would be a killer feature. But I don´t know if they can make this happen, if the use same iOS. And probably they don´t even want to give up that control.

I agree. If you could activate the iPad independently from iTunes and have it be a standalone device, that would be the killer feature. Unfortunately, as you have said, it will be a while before Apple gives up that control. They know it will canabalize(sic) laptop sales. The unfortunate thing about the iPad is there no obvious must need form/function that it fulfills, which is why it creates so much debate as to whether to buy one or not.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
iPad should have everything that the iPhone has (maybe not the phone), like iPod Touch has now... and more! Who cares if it would cost more, ´cause then it actually would have something worth the money.

Now it´s just a very crippled device.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
...having the larger real estate made watching movies with my wife on the plane a lot more enjoyable than when we watched them on my little PSP or iPhone.

Oh... my... God!!! Seriously? :eek:

I would never watch a movie from 10" screen, NEVER! That´s just stupid IMHO, YMMV of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Point is - can you do these things on an iPhone. Yes. Ok. You can. But the iPad makes it a LOT less painstaking.

Yes and my desktop/laptop makes it even LOT less painstaking than doing these things with an iPad.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY

I didn't read the entire thread because it, unlike the iPad, is a complete waste of time. Apple is selling millions of iPads to millions of happy customers. You are neither happy nor a customer. I'm sick of people complaining about a product they don't even own.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Oh yeah. The iPad is a huge waste of money.

That's why it's Apple's biggest hit out of the gate ever.

Oh wait, it's the biggest hit ever out of the gate in the history of the electronics industry.

Next.

Agreed.

The other day, Best Buy's CEO was saying iPad had cannibalized 50% of notebook sales. He later corrected himself to add that he meant netbook sales and that he didn't have any real data to back up his claim.

As an owner of all three, an Acer Aspire One (Ubuntu 9.04) netbook that hasn't been switched on since April 3, 2010, a Macbook (OS X 10.6.4) and an iPad I find that I use the iPad more than often than the Macbook and while my iPad has not replaced the Macbook entirely, it has replaced the netbook.

I have even taken the iPad to work on occasion for times I don't want to deal with the freezes and quirks of my work-issued Dell Latitude E6400 running XP SP 3 (yuck).

The only thing I might have done differently was get the 3G model so I would have GPS.

Anybody claiming the iPad is a waste of money is pretty much out of touch with reality.

david77

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Anybody claiming the iPad is a waste of money is pretty much out of touch with reality.

I have an iPad and I think he is asking a legitimate question. You can easily justify spending the money on an iPhone or a laptop. An iPad, however is a different story. It IS a crippled device. Maybe 4.2 will change that though.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Oh... my... God!!! Seriously? :eek:

I would never watch a movie from 10" screen, NEVER! That´s just stupid IMHO, YMMV of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Pathetic. Seriously? Yes. Clearly you don't travel. Is watching a movie or TV on a 10" screen optimal? No. But it sure beats carrying around a laptop or trying to watch on a screen less than 4".

I've seen the David Lynch video - you're not original.

You just look like an ass in this thread. Especially when it's directly pointed out to you over and over that you're comparing two completely different devices. And the best you can come up with is to say that watching a movie on a 10" screen is stupid? I gave you several examples on why screen size makes all the difference.

But I expect nothing less form someone with your maturity level and whining.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
I didn't read the entire thread because it, unlike the iPad, is a complete waste of time. Apple is selling millions of iPads to millions of happy customers. You are neither happy nor a customer. I'm sick of people complaining about a product they don't even own.

I don´t own any Britney Spears products either and still these worthless things sell millions and make people "happy", but are they truly happy? Or is it just materialistic behaviour and need to fill their empty lives? Yes, just like with iPad.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I don't think one thing counts as many things missing from the iPad though. How about what's in the iPad? Bigger screen, larger capacity, faster processor. But I know that logic has gone completely over this Bob.

The argument that the iPad is missing features has just as much merit as the argument that the iPad has plenty of features. People just need to accept that what works for them doesn't work for others. It's a pretty revolutionary concept... not.

RobBookPro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I disagree. iPhone + Laptop/iMac can do everything better than iPad, so why would you need an iPad for a "third wheel"?

It needs to have something special that the iPhone doesn´t have (bigger screen isn´t that special feature), otherwise it´s just a very stripped down version of the iPhone and you´re just making excuses for it.

Things the iPad does better then iPhone and laptops.

Web surfing. Much more enjoyable. iPhone too small. Laptop more cumberson. iPad hands on and in my lap.

Watching video. Air video is the most awesome thing ever. I have two terabytes of video available on the iPad where ever I am. iPhone too small. Laptop too hot in bed, start fire and kills your sperm. Ipad awesome for watching video almost anywhere.

Office use on the go. If you are actually having to do work while on the go then the iPad beats a laptop and iPhone hands down. Example, having to collect and input data into a spreadsheet while in the car (I do this). Laptop is to difficult to manage in a car. It either has to sit on the passenger seat and you twist your body or you have to push your seat back to put it on your lap, and then pack it away so that if it falls it doesn't snap the screen off. iPhone too small. iPad allows you to hold it in your hands and type and then just either throw it next to you or leave it on your lap.

Email on the go... Same as office use on the go. Laptops are too much work due to their form factor. That is why so few people actually use them as portable devices. Most people use them as desktop devices which they move around. iPhone, or any phone sucks for typing because you are just thumbing it out. I am typing this on the ipad with all fingers like a normal keyboard.

Guess what, none of these needed a camera, front or back, or a gyroscope to work. They didn't even need more ram. Retina is irrelevant since we already have more pixels then the ip4.

Bigger, is actually better.

All of this boils down to the fact that you cannot afford an iPad, so you are trying to justify your not having it.

If you like the iPhone, the you will like the iPad more. That is unless all you do with the iPhone is take photos and play just released games with 6axis rotation. If that is the case, I suggest you sell your iPhone and by an SLR and PS3 since they absolutely kill the iPhone at those.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Pathetic. Seriously? Yes. Clearly you don't travel. Is watching a movie or TV on a 10" screen optimal? No. But it sure beats carrying around a laptop or trying to watch on a screen less than 4".

I've seen the David Lynch video - you're not original.

You just look like an ass in this thread. Especially when it's directly pointed out to you over and over that you're comparing two completely different devices. And the best you can come up with is to say that watching a movie on a 10" screen is stupid? I gave you several examples on why screen size makes all the difference.

But I expect nothing less form someone with your maturity level and whining.

I do travel a lot, but I´m not gonna destroy a movie by watching it with 10" screen. Have some respect for art man!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.