Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'm surprised nobody has seen this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/nfl-finds-that-saints-violated-bounty-rule/related/

-------------------

The league announced Friday afternoon that the Saints violated the “bounty rule” in 2009, 2010, and 2011. Specifically, the NFL has concluded that between 22 and 27 defensive players along with at least one assistant coach maintained a “bounty” program. It was funded primarily by players, with $50,000 or more available during the 2009 playoffs.

“The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for ‘performance,’ but also for injuring opposing players,” Commissioner Goodell said in a league-issued release. “The bounty rule promotes two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity.

The N.O. Saints are in a heap of trouble.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
good thread. I think this is going to seriously blow up and Goodell is going to spank the Saints hard. I'm sure other teams do it...I wouldn't be surprised.

But I sure bet Brett Favre's ankle is screaming, "DO YA THINK!?!" in reference to the blatant late hit he took in the minny - NO NFC champ game a few years ago. Love him or hate him (Favre), that was a late hit and a blatant attempt to injure. I've always felt that and now this story only confirms it imho.

I'm not a fan of either team btw so my opinion isn't biased.

But this story isn't over yet.

Wow!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Reminds me of the famous bounty bowl between Dallas and Philadelphia when they were under Buddy Ryan. This is going to be really interesting and I can't wait to see how the league handles this.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Will be interesting to see how this plays into the Drew Brees contract negotiations. Even though he's on the offensive side of the ball and probably had no involvement in this, the team is likely to lose draft picks and have players suspended (if still with the team). What that does to New Orleans ability to draft well and surround Brees with a team capable of winning the Super Bowl in the coming years will be something that weighs heavy on his and the teams decision.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
this could easily become the biggest issue of the 2012 season and we're not even to the draft yet. The saint are probably got two lose each of their top three pics of two drafts, greg williams will be suspended at least a few games and fined, and multiple players will be fined/suspended. This is going to be a big deal and make spy gate look like almost nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.