Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has partnered with the National Hockey League to provide coaches with iPad Pros for use behind the bench during the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs, which began on Wednesday, as reported by The Associated Press.

babcock-800x450.jpg
Toronto Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock (Image: Sportsnet)

All sixteen NHL teams that qualified for the playoffs have up to three iPad Pros available to them to review plays. The real-time video footage will help players make shift-by-shift adjustments during games, while coaches can better decide when to challenge offside or goaltender interference calls, aka a Coach's Challenge.
"By the time the player gets off his shift, that content is available within a minute, I guess, from the time it actually took place," NHL executive vice-president and chief technology officer Peter DelGiacco said. "Today generally speaking a lot of that would be done between periods and there's a limited amount of time. ... This kind of gives the coaches and the players real-time access so that they can make adjustments."
The arenas of all sixteen NHL teams that qualified for the playoffs have also been outfitted with Macs for video coaches as part of the collaboration with Apple.

The NHL's plans to outfit arenas with iPads and other Apple products were revealed by Canadian sports network TSN in December.

Article Link: NHL Coaches Provided With iPad Pros During 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think this is interesting. Not just in the sense they get an iPad to use, but they're able to review the play-by-play on the iPad as soon as the replay is available under one minute, which I think the Pro is certainly efficient enough in handling these tasks.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Last edited:

Mouse man

Suspended
Mar 9, 2017
AZ
How are those Surfaces working for the NFL? I didn't even see one being used during the super bowl

Are you serious? They are used every game. They show them constantly and they have for several years.

The reason you didn't see them see them during the SB is because Belicheck hates tablets and refuses to use them lol

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
have faith. Matthews in 4.
Hockey is the one are where the legendary Canadian politeness falls apart. With hockey they become just as blustery and arrogant as any US citizen, so I always root against Canadian teams.

Except this series. I hope the Leafs kick the Capitals behinds.

Reactions: ktecac

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
The Blue Jackets had better call in an Apple Genius to teach them how to use these tablets because obviously they didn't help them last night!!

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Let's just hope they don't accidentally drop the Apple Pencil on the ice.

They'll have to waste a timeout just to find it!

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
The Blue Jackets had better call in an Apple Genius to teach them how to use these tablets because obviously they didn't help them last night!!

The CBJ's haven't been finding the back of the next for a while now, and a tablet won't do anything to help that :)

Reactions: RudySnow

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I think this has a ton of potential but is poorly executed. Introducing during playoffs?? Why not regular season, so they have a chance to practice using them?

What?? You mean people need to *learn* to use an iPad? If 5 year olds can use an iPad, I'm pretty sure the coaches can figure them out.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Personally, I'd like to see a Canadian team take the cup this year. With 4 teams in the playoffs, there might actually be a chance.

Reactions: satchmo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.