Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The follow-up to the popular stargazing app The Night Sky has launched today, introducing a number of new features. As with the original app, Night Sky 2 allows users to view the sky above them on an iPad or an iPhone to identify nearby celestial bodies.

The revamped app offers a redesigned sky view that includes both higher quality imagery and original artwork constellations, along with a browse and search feature that was absent from the previous version. It also includes detailed information on both the sky and the weather.

nightsky21.jpg
With search, users can type in the name of any satellite, star, planet, or constellation to view it within the app. Constellations have been improved and instead of showing just a general outline, full but non-intrusive artwork depicting the constellation is displayed.

Sky Info, accessible from the app's many buttons, provides a look at moon phases, sun rise and sun set times, daylight duration, and sun elevation. A similar mode, Stargazing Weather, offers information on cloud cover, temperature, wind speeds, and visibility, with an overall view indicating whether or not the local sky is visible.

nightsky22.jpg
Night Sky 2 includes an optional community mode, which requires a monthly membership fee priced between $2.99 for a month and $20.99 for two years. The community is designed to allow users to share stargazing sites around the world with one another. The app also features smoother sky tracking, detailed information on celestial bodies, and sharing tools.

Night Sky 2 is a universal app that can be purchased from the App Store for $0.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Night Sky 2 Launches with High Quality Imagery, Original Artwork, and Community Feature

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Looks very interesting! I've been looking for an app like this but never got around to searching the store for one. May be a good time to dust off the telescope too. :)

ThatsMrsGeek2U

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
worst thing about this app is that it is 99¢

its a perfect example of a app that is way better than that, deserves more and sets a bad precedent.

really is a nice app

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
Anyone know how this is better/different from StarWalk?

Have had that for a while now, it has had all these 'revamped' features all along, but I've never made a side by side comparison.

Just wondering if I'm missing out on something with this one.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Star Walk is an order of magnitude better. Smoother scrolling by far, better graphics by far, better UI, nicer icon, the original app (released the previous year), etc. Night Sky feels like a bad ripoff of Star Walk. Seriously.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Star Walk is an order of magnitude better. Smoother scrolling by far, better graphics by far, better UI, nicer icon, the original app (released the previous year), etc. Night Sky feels like a bad ripoff of Star Walk. Seriously.

Even this new version?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Anyone know how this is better/different from StarWalk? Have had that for a while now, it has had all these 'revamped' features all along, but I've never made a side by side comparison. Just wondering if I'm missing out on something with this one.

Hadn't heard of StarWalk before today's release of Night Sky II. When it comes to thinking up new applications for smart phones and tablets, the sky seems to be no longer the limit. No pun intended.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
I use StarMap. Seems a lot better than this to be honest . Mainly Love the locate feature which directs you to the star/planet with arrows/compass.

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012

Thanks for confirming that!

tfigs

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012

I personally think Star Walk is overrated. I don't like how the you can't fade the Milky Way at all. And the sky is not realistic looking. The two I use are SkySafari Plus and Sky Guide. For 99 cents I think I will give Night Sky a try as well.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I personally think Star Walk is overrated. I don't like how the you can't fade the Milky Way at all. And the sky is not realistic looking. The two I use are SkySafari Plus and Sky Guide. For 99 cents I think I will give Night Sky a try as well.

I think it's awesome. And compared to Night Sky it's a significant improvement, and it gets addition props for being the original app of this genre. Besides, the app keeps receiving great updates over the past 3 years, the dev is a gentleman too; as seen by his update descriptions. And its sky graphics is are more realistic than the ones you see above in the article.

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
i first used this app (the original version) on my one x, i was pretty amazed and impressed by the idea, i'll surely check this out

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
i always wanted to see and study stars, but i never got time for that, so maybe i can enjoy the sky view with this app atleast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.