Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nintendo today officially announced Fire Emblem Heroes, its next planned mobile game launching on iOS and Android devices in the near future. Positioned as a tactical roleplaying game in the Fire Emblem universe, Fire Emblem Heroes will allow players to level up popular characters from the series and engage in strategic battles.

According to Nintendo, the game features a new, original storyline focusing on two warring kingdoms coming together in a bitter clash. Players take on the role of summoners, calling various historic Fire Emblem characters into epic fights.

fireemblem-800x483.jpg

Each battle map is an 8x6 square designed to fit on a smartphone's screen, where players will engage in tactical fights with multiple allies and enemies on the battlefield.

Simple controls are included, such as dragging an ally onto an enemy to attack, and a battle victory is achieved when every enemy on a given map is defeated. Nintendo says that despite the simple controls, Fire Emblem fans will find the battle intensity they've come to expect from the series.

Nintendo plans to make Fire Emblem Heroes free-to-play, with optional in-app purchases.

Fire Emblem Heroes will be available on the Google Play store starting on February 2. Nintendo did not announce a specific release date for iOS devices, saying only that the game will be "available soon."

Back in 2015, Nintendo promised to release five smartphone games by March of 2017. The company originally said its Fire Emblem game, along with a new game in the Animal Crossing series, would be released in the fall of 2016, but Nintendo did not make that deadline. While we now have concrete information on the planned Fire Emblem game, there is still no word on when we might see the promised Animal Crossing game for iOS.

Update: Nintendo has now confirmed that Fire Emblem Heroes will be available on iOS devices starting on February 2.

Article Link: Nintendo Debuts New 'Fire Emblem Heroes' Smartphone Game [Update: Coming February 2]

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If this is a real Fire Emblem game, then I'm really willing to pay for it.

It's ironic that Nintendo made a game that should have been free to play and charged $10 after a demo for it, but then they made a real game that should only have a free demo and made it all free to play.

Also ironic is that Nintendo is putting Fire Emblem: Warriors, which despite the title isn't a Fire Emblem game, on the Switch, while iOS at least appears to maybe be getting a real Fire Emblem game.

Edit: Oh... wait... I just realized that grid size is tiny... all of the characters seem to only be able to move one space at a time? This seems like a disappointingly simplified version of Fire Emblem...

Reactions: Iconoclysm

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

It's ironic that Nintendo made a game that should have been free to play and charged $10 after a demo for it, but then they made a real game that should only have a free demo and made it all free to play.

Also ironic is that Nintendo is putting Fire Emblem: Warriors, which despite the title isn't a Fire Emblem game, on the Switch, while iOS at least appears to maybe be getting a real Fire Emblem game.

Edit: Oh... wait... I just realized that grid size is tiny... all of the characters seem to only be able to move one space at a time? This seems like a disappointingly simplified version of Fire Emblem...

It does seem simplified, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to have simplified fun with it lol. I think a real Fire Emblem will hit the Switch soon but the Warriors games aren't even developed by Nintendo, so I don't consider it to be very ironic. Just unfortunate.

MacTouch786

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008

There's also going to be a real Fire Emblem game coming to Switch in 2018 that's not Fire Emblem: Warriors.

Juiceboy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
The big blow is Android first. Hopefully It's not too long to wait for iOS. Android has to wait until March for Mario Run

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Can't wait to play with my waifu Lyn and my boy Chrom again after so many years! This game looks super fun and full of fan-service :)

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
On one hand, they're trying to design something that makes the most sense on a phone-sized touchscreen that you use fingers to interact with, instead of physical buttons or a precise stylus. On the other hand, they seem to be designing their iOS games to intentionally make you want an actual Nintendo console to play "the real games" on.

It could all be indirectly helping build hype for the Switch, too, which happens to emphasize the portability gimmick as a main selling point and is a lot less expensive than an iPhone.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

With all due respect, when you do your job for no compensation you can tell app developers that their work has a zero dollar value. Until then, it's absurd to say that ANY app should be free unless the people who created it are coding for charity.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
Does anyone else hate rehashing characters from previous versions? These hero mashups I keep seeing just feel like a money grab to cash in on IP, and it's gross. Can't they make a new cast of characters in a single cohesive story?

And yes, I realize it is no small feat to create a world of personalities, but that's what a game is. If you're in the business then do the work, right?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Could be good. I only come into the series every so often, first played the GBA one and then skipped them all up to Awakening... which was an absolute triumph! Get it!

It's Nintendo so I imagine they'll mess up pricing or something - but the game itself will remain awesome. Maybe they'll learn from previous mistakes!

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Whatever flack Mario Run gets, it's actually a pretty good game. Great level design and gameplay mechanics for a mobile game. I faith Fire Emblem will be just as good.

Reactions: mark-vdw and Yaemon

muddygun

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2016
I feel like no one plays video games on this forum. Infinity Blade is no where close to Mike Tyson Punch out Juiceboy. And the Mario game is worth $10. There are tons of people who are going to complain, but thats cause they don't understand video games usually cost $50+ dollars. And sure, the mobile space is cheaper, but $10 is a great value considering your getting something on par from the Super Nintendo era. They let you test free levels because Apple has a weird process of letting people try an app and then buy it if they like it. This was a way to do that. Fire Emblem will be a huge success for people who like video games. I would have rather they made it $10 instead of free, but every game has it's own way of making money.

Juiceboy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
I feel like no one plays video games on this forum. Infinity Blade is no where close to Mike Tyson Punch out Juiceboy. And the Mario game is worth $10. There are tons of people who are going to complain, but thats cause they don't understand video games usually cost $50+ dollars. And sure, the mobile space is cheaper, but $10 is a great value considering your getting something on par from the Super Nintendo era. They let you test free levels because Apple has a weird process of letting people try an app and then buy it if they like it. This was a way to do that. Fire Emblem will be a huge success for people who like video games. I would have rather they made it $10 instead of free, but every game has it's own way of making money.

I'm probably the only one that has finished punchout and the vastly superior Super Punch Out!!
you probably don't realise but infinity blade is the same gameplay as punchout. Dodge left right and down. Attack left and right and counter. Punchoutt has way more memorable characters though that's for sure. And i couldn't agree with you more. people on here complain they can't family share with Mario. It's called letting the kids share an iPad with your account. To share console video games, you just hand them the disc or the controller. $10 for Mario run is an absolute steal. Gameplay is perfected for Mobile too and people still complain. Gameplay has amazing replay value. It's not pay to win, it's not cluttered with ads, the only downside is you can't play on the plane. But's it's not even an issue when the gameplay is designed around 2 minute bursts. And collecting all those coins is true mario. I have no doubt this FE will be great though, but i am slightly concerned about the FTP approach, but i'll wait until i get to play to judge.

BryanJ

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2008
I don't mind supporting a game with in app purchases so long as my money can last. Some games I started pumping $50 dollars a week into and that's when it becomes too much.

I'll never play a game when the Devs are that damn greedy.

Juiceboy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
I don't mind supporting a game with in app purchases so long as my money can last. Some games I started pumping $50 dollars a week into and that's when it becomes too much.

I'll never play a game when the Devs are that damn greedy.
People put $50 a week into a game?? Yet they will compain about $10 for a full mario title? Crazy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.