Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
you never know

This is very possible! I think that we all have to realize that LCD's may just be too expensive to put into an iMac AND bump the stats. If this holds true, then we will probably see:

500-700mhz
128-256 Ram
CDRW in lowest model, combo drive in two highest.
New style?

If Apple keeps them the same, I'm hoping for a Trinitron or Diamdtron flat display, USB 2.0, and PC-133 Ram. These could sell well if SJ has something else up his sleeve like he usually does. Who knows?

Pete

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
There is no way that Apple will Have an LCD in the new iMac... just too expensive to do it. Some people have sugested a high-end iMac with an LCD and a low-end iMac with a CRT. but I dont see that happening. If Apple introduced a LCD all-in-one. It would be a new line. But we all know what happened the last time there was a between the G4 and the iMac... it got killed. R.I.P Cube!

S

SpiffyGuyC

If Apple can sell an iBook for $1200, it could certainly make an LCD desktop with iMac's current screen size available for $1300.

G

Just a form factor change?

Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC
If Apple can sell an iBook for $1200, it could certainly make an LCD desktop with iMac's current screen size available for $1300.

True, but this begs the question that killed the cube...
Why would anyone buy an iMac like this when the iBook is similarly priced, less bulky on your desk, has battery backup built in (in case of power outage), and can be taken anywhere.

Anything's possible, but selling an iBook decked out in a non-portable form factor for the same price just won't sell.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Laptops are (almost) always less powerful than comparable desktops. Recent iMacs are faster, have a larger screen, better video chip (I think more video RAM as well), etc.

There are compromises that go into laptop creation.

And not everyone needs their machine to be portable.

blakespot

J

JohnSmith

Forgive me, but didn't Apple make an announcement indicating they were doing away with all CRTs in favor of LCDs? LCD based iMacs can't be too far off. Apple has testing to do first though, they need to make sure that screen doesn't stop working until at least a month or two after your warranty ends :)

M

MattB

I agree with John Smith's comment. Apple no longer makes CRTs, so LCD iMacs must be close!

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
close yes...but not this generation. Aside from iMac and G4 updates, I believe that there will be something else big happening at MYNY. I don't know what, but I can feel it. Any ideas?

Pete

M

MattB

Originally posted by ptrauber
close yes...but not this generation. Aside from iMac and G4 updates, I believe that there will be something else big happening at MYNY. I don't know what, but I can feel it. Any ideas?

Pete

I was thinking maybe a new Cube! I've heard rumors that the Cube is not dead and that it will be coming back in a smaller form-factor.

E

erazorhead

sigh

YES apple isn't selling CRT monitors for powermacs anymore. YES they're pushing the LCDs pretty hard. but you say that means LCD iMacs at MWNY? no. it doesn't follow. just because they've gone all LCD for powermacs doesn't mean they HAVE to go LCD for the iMac.

not to say they WON'T, just that it's highly unlikely at this point. for several reasons.
number one, cost. you can't put an LCD in an iMac without either raising the price or killing other features. bad move. number two, reliability. power users have done their homework and realize that LCDs are not perfect, and when you buy one you're almost certainly going to have dead pixels. but the simple iMac customer won't realize that. unless apple has secured some now-unknown source of 99% flawless LCDs, they're going to have a hell of an influx of angry iMac customers calling about "messed up" screens. iMac customers would rather have something that worked good and didn't give them problems (CRTs) than something a little sharper (LCDs).

i suppose it won't be too long before CRT montiors have altogether gone the way of the 5 1/2" floppy, but not at MWNY 2001.

my 2c

moroder

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2001
No LCD iMac..yet

I have to add my two cents. It's extremely unlikely that we'll see a LCD iMac on Wednesday. The reasons are simple.

1. LCD's are still to expensive for an iMac model. Apple would take a huge profit cut on each machine.

2. The new G4 enclosure will be introduced for sure. You don't release a new G4 and iMac at the same event and then have no big announcements for the rest of the year! They are saving the iMac for the next Apple event. It's more PR and strategy related than if the units are ready or not. And it wouldn't hurt the iMac when those LCD prices to come down more in the next 3 months either. It's probably sill in the design stages anyways.

Any thoughts?

-B

M

Mariner77

Such a shame!!!

Apple should be offering iMac with a 15 inch LCD plus a G4 at 733 MHz for about $1200. A month ago I was actually optimistic this might happen at MWNY. <sigh> Looks like that won't happen for at least another year.

T

the dude

my predictions for macworld

Heres what I think will happen:

to hell with the rumors. LCD iMac, same tft panel as the 15" has, means they only have to buy one tft panel for both lines. they will raise the price some to compensate. No more 899 imac. Starting at 1099 now.
They will have cannabalized the cube, stuffed a G3 in it, made everything else the same. The new imac will be a
G3 cube with a integrated 15" LCD. I work for a company that makes LCD monitors. We can get those same panels for 375 to 400 bucks our cost. I cant say what company, so dont ask.

The G4 will have a new box more like the Ti book in a metal config and will top out at 933 Mhz. to try to compensate for the lack of 1 ghz cpu they will have bumped up every major sub system in the box, and raised the price as well. The G4 will start at around 1799. If you want a cheap mac no more G4 for you. The Imac will be the deal up to 1499.

Mac os X will Not come in a 10.1 flavor. but they will announce full DVD operation in 10.0.5.

9.2 will come out without fanfare.

so....lets see how right I am, shall we?????? wait 2 days and find out!!!!!

T

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I dont think the pice will UP

I cant see the prices of any of the lines to go up. The economy in the USA is not going to embrace that well. Chip and RAM prices are falling while Mhz and Ghx are climing. PC's are getting faster and cheeper. Apple can't fall behind on Speed or Price. They are expensive as is. I am willing to pay for Mac's But not too much more. If a Win Box is a Grimlin then a Mac is a BMW. But I cant swing a Farrari!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.