Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
I'm testing a Samsung B2430H monitor with my MBA at the moment, and while the screen seems okay if the brightness is below about 98% there is an audible whine which is very distracting and annoying. This monitor has good Amazon reviews, but a few people mention the whine.

I've heard good things about Dell Ultrasharp monitors - maybe I should send this back and try one? Like a U2412M?

I'm not looking for the top-end displays, just one that will do as a desktop monitor and that doesn't make a noise!

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I have a Dell UltraSharp 2209WA connected to my Mini, and I love it. I have never noticed any whining sound, but then again, I have some hearing loss and tinnitus. The UltraSharps are more expensive than many other monitors, but they are well worth it. I wasn't really sold on the benefits of an IPS monitor until I got mine. The difference was really driven home when I got a cheap Acer as a second monitor. The Acer works fine, but the color reproduction and off-angle viewing don't hold a candle to the older Dell. The warranty on the UltraSharps is really good as well: 3 year advance shipment replacement for even one dead/stuck pixel.

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
i just purchased a 2011 mac mini and hooked it up to my Dell Ultrasharp U2410. So far no noise.

ricardoflamingo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
"i just purchased a 2011 mac mini and hooked it up to my Dell Ultrasharp U2410. So far no noise."
How do you like it so far? I'm thinking of getting one, need some feedback. Thanks

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
"i just purchased a 2011 mac mini and hooked it up to my Dell Ultrasharp U2410. So far no noise."
How do you like it so far? I'm thinking of getting one, need some feedback. Thanks

so far its awesome. I am however find myself constantly trying different calibration settings. I think its "my eyes" looking for that apple pop "glare". But other than that everything i run/try/play, works fine.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Old Dell 2407FPW and now a new U2412M from Dell, and neither had a wine to them. The Dell U2412M cost me $299.00 at the Dell business site on sale and some have gotten them for a little less.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
so far its awesome. I am however find myself constantly trying different calibration settings. I think its "my eyes" looking for that apple pop "glare". But other than that everything i run/try/play, works fine.

If it has a decent sRGB setting (they vary, some are good, some aren't) I'd just leave it there. Tweaking the "calibration" via colorsync isn't that great of an idea.

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
If it has a decent sRGB setting (they vary, some are good, some aren't) I'd just leave it there. Tweaking the "calibration" via colorsync isn't that great of an idea.

Thanks for the info. I just tried using the HDMI to DVi dongle that come with the mac mini instead of using a direct HDMI to HDMI and is getting better results...go figure. Also, when using the HDMI to HDMI the 1920x1200 showed better than 1080p.

I now have it currently installed with the HDMI to DVI dongle and set to 1920x1200 and set to sRGB and is getting way better results now.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks for the info. I just tried using the HDMI to DVi dongle that come with the mac mini instead of using a direct HDMI to HDMI and is getting better results...go figure. Also, when using the HDMI to HDMI the 1920x1200 showed better than 1080p.

I now have it currently installed with the HDMI to DVI dongle and set to 1920x1200 and set to sRGB and is getting way better results now.

I'm glad that setting worked out :). Manufacturer sRGB modes are hit and miss. When they're well implemented, they can be quite good.

dlim

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2012
A lot of users have reported issues with using straight HDMI to HDMI connections on the 2011 Minis.

I had a mini but I returned it (liked using my MBA better), but while I had it a few things I noticed with the external monitor connections:

Minidisplayport/HDMI adapter -> HDMI cable = clear picture
HDMI to DVI connection (HDMI IN to mini, DVI connection to monitor) = clear picture
HDMI to HDMI = blurry/choppy/fuzzy/wth picture

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.