Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSafe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Hi
I owned iPhone 8 and decided to upgrade to the X (256 gb, black)
I notice that the performance is worse- sluggish animation, safari sluggish etc.
Why is that? Are we going to see improvement on iOS 12?
To be honest, I’m disappointed.
Thinking about buying 8 again

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Hi
I notice that the performance is worse- sluggish animation, safari sluggish etc.
Then take it back. It’s clearly not typical of the iPhone X in terms of performance and something is wrong.

Reactions: anitak1982

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Did you set your iPhone X up as new, or did you restore your old data onto it? Restores/importing from backups always bog down a phones performance. If you want the best performance, always set-up 'as new'.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

MacSafe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Did you set your iPhone X up as new, or did you restore your old data onto it? Restores/importing from backups always bog down a phones performance. If you want the best performance, always set-up 'as new'.

I did restore my old data.
If I will set it as new phone, I will lose all of my data..I rather keep my photos and contacts...

Reactions: apolloa

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Bad news: iOS 12 won't bring much performance improvements to either iPhone X or iPhone 8 series. (just my bold assumptions based on my experience on an A9 device) /s

Seriously, something is not right. We will see how iOS 12 brings to those supported devices.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hi

As someone else noted, setting your iPhone up as a ‘new device’ can impact performance, and the iPhone depending how much information you have, enters an ‘initializing phase’ and that could also have a possible effect on the performance during this time, which can take while to complete.

But there is certainly something not right, because the performance of the iPhone X is the fastest of any iPhone on the market, especially given that shares the same A11 Bionic processor as the iPhone 8.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I hate when people suggest this. That defeats the purpose of a backup if u constantly set up as new.

What Steve121178 is saying is more specific to performance, and it certainly can be true. It doesn’t mean that every iPhone is affected the same way, its just a preference if someone chooses to restore or set up as new. Restoring from backup can pose its own issues, where setting up as new helps eliminate that.

Last edited:

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I hate when people suggest this. That defeats the purpose of a backup if u constantly set up as new.

It's very simple. Choose performance (as new) or a sluggish bloated mess (restored). Backup works as intended, but it's not just restoring your config, it's bringing across all the bloat & rubbish too that some people may have had dating back to the iPhone 5s or even older.

I always set-up my iOS devices & Macs as new & performance on each device has always been optimal. When I have experimented with importing backup data onto my nice clean iOS/macOS image, performance dips.

Reactions: mmomega

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
I made sure all my pictures and contacts were on the cloud and set my iphone x up as new when I got it in November. I didn't lose any pictures or contacts.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Restores/importing from backups always bog down a phones performance.
I'm not sure how true that is…

My first iPhone was a 3GS. I restored my backup to an iPhone 5 when I got mine on launch day. In 2015 that backup was restored to an iPhone 6+. Nine months later that same backup was restored to an iPhone 6s+.

It's the same profile I've had since the 3GS and I have never had any issues. And I will throw one thing more in there. That same profile has supported a jailbreak with all it's tweak preferences on each iPhone it was restored to.

The mantra has always been to restore as new when you move between jailbreaks. I've never heard it as something to follow simply moving between stock phones.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Bad news: iOS 12 won't bring much performance improvements to either iPhone X or iPhone 8 series.

So far, there hasn't been any big improvement in Geekbench scores, that's true. The scores will come and go a little bit as the versions change, but they're basically the same as iOS 11.

However...there are things that don't show up in Geekbench scores. Most of us believe that iOS 12 appears to be quite snappy, somehow, in the way that it moves between screens and applications, but somehow this isn't translating into Geekbench scores.

Of course, that's what every Android manufacturer has been saying for the past five years. :)

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Hi
My X is lightening fast. Something's wrong with yours.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
It's very simple. Choose performance (as new) or a sluggish bloated mess (restored). Backup works as intended, but it's not just restoring your config, it's bringing across all the bloat & rubbish too that some people may have had dating back to the iPhone 5s or even older.

I always set-up my iOS devices & Macs as new & performance on each device has always been optimal. When I have experimented with importing backup data onto my nice clean iOS/macOS image, performance dips.
What bloat and rubbish specifically is actually coming with the backup?

I’ve always wondered this. I’ve always restored with each new iPhone I’ve had and have had no problems with performance or storage.

Reactions: chabig

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is that something that Is covered by Apple care?

Apple would have to diagnose your phone and run diagnostics to determine if there Is an issue internally. They’re not going just to issue you a brand new phone not knowing specifically what type of troubleshooting methods they can walk you through as far as restoring from iTunes, etc To see if the problem can be resolved.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I’m on the iOS 12 beta and the iPhone X that I have is running so much better. I actually enjoy using the phone now. Everything is faster and smoother. The X felt like a beta device because of iOS 11.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hi

Keep your backup safe so you can restore it again later, then set the iPhone up as a brand new device and test it, this way you can prove if it’s something in your backup or not.
But the X does have a higher resolution screen and as it uses the same processor as the X, it’s Frames per second performance ‘could’ be a little slower potentially.
Perhaps explain a bit more how it’s slow?

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014

This is such a silly idea and is only for the geekiest of geeks. To literally lose everything they have and start new every time, when one of the main reasons for getting an Apple product is to transfer this stuff seamlessly.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I did restore my old data.
If I will set it as new phone, I will lose all of my data..I rather keep my photos and contacts...

It's a highly annoying process, but every time I have gone to the genius bar with an issue involving an iOS device that's the first thing the genius tells me to do. It's to the point where I just do that automatically before an appointment so they can't just dismiss me immediately. If it turns out to be hardware and I get a replacement I then restore from the old backup to the new device.

Anyway, your contacts,photos and notes should be preserved even when setting up as new if you're using iCloud. Even websites you sign into will still have keychain password data.

The sucky part is downloading, organizing and signing into all your apps. As other posters have stated, I find it best to start over as new when I buy a new iPhone so that legacy bugginess is less of a factor. When I have a shiny new toy I'm less annoyed with taking the time to set it up.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Am I missing something? Why would there be a difference - all other things being equal - between the 8 and X in terms of performance as they have the same processor and if I'm not mistaken RAM?

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.