Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
24 April 2017.

With about two weeks before Nvidia's expected announcement of Volta GPUs at the GPUtech Conference starting 8 May in San Jose, here's a thread to collect rumours and comments on Nvidia's next generation GPU architecture.

Have at it, all the usual suspects.

gtc-2015-logo[1].png

gpu2.jpg

Meet the Green Team.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
ha, the ad i get fed when reading your post:

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.49.02 PM.png

i buy a lot of tools so i get a lot of ads like this..
i'm mainly a blue or yellow type but i have a few of these green ones too ;)

(i , or a mod, will delete this O.T post in a little bit.. found it funny_ish though)

Reactions: Mudodonbond

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
for what?
and do you also do the installation/IT work? or just the buying?
CUDA

All of the above. We're a small, rogue research group in a big company. We don't let IT know what we're doing.
[doublepost=1493163118][/doublepost]
Will Volta GPUs come with their own diesel electricity generators?
Hydrogen fuel cells - only by-products are dihydrogen monoxide and Science.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Big wish the green team provide Mac web driver for Volta sooner than they gave us for Pascal.o_O
If y'all send clear (official) feedback to Apple that full CUDA support for standard PCIe graphics cards on the mMP is essential - then this will happen.

Otherwise, it's hard for Nvidia to make the case that a few sales to fanatic cMP users are worth the effort of developing Nvidia drivers for Apple OSX.

It would also help to make a case for VR on Nvidia - although I'm ignorant on that topic. (Have systems with quad Titan X cards, and not a single monitor connected.)

Reactions: NY Guitarist

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
I thought the rumors for this were maybe just some sort of pascal based tablet or set top box. It seems a bit early for Volta.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
- Automatic driver updates without login
- FreeSync support
- OpenCL optimization

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I wonder if we will get consumer cards this year or just something that goes into servers like GP100 was last year. Regardless its great to see Nvidia being so aggressive.
Considering the timing and the availability of GDDR6 and HBM2, several pundits have predicted that GV100 will roll out first as a cost-no-object HPC offering, and GV10x chips for the workstation and consumer markets will follow by the end of the year.

So, a repeat of the Pascal rollout is quite possible.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Just couldn't let us enjoy Pascal eh? :D
Pascal's old... ;)

Seriously, though, Nvidia's chip transitions have been slow affairs. (Pascal was announced last May, but I just ordered twenty Pascal cards to upgrade Maxwell systems - because it's just within the last few weeks that any reseller dropped the "one per customer" or "two per customer" rule on them.)

Enjoy Pascal for at least the rest of this year, unless you want to drop $5K to $10K on single GV100 chips in Q3.

Reactions: itdk92

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Aiden made me curious about whether his new cards were for workstations or servers.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Aiden made me curious whether his new cards were for workstations or servers.
All servers. Not a single monitor will be connected to any card.

And twenty cards means that I'm upgrading five servers.

4xTitans.jpg

These are Titan X (Pascal) cards in a server that I'm not upgrading. Note the 24 DIMM slots.

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.