Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I'm confused, there are claims that Ventura boots fine on a cMP 5,1, while the world fails on [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START]. Did anyone tried to install Ventura on a 5,1? As mentioned into an issue comment, several OC features will need to be reworked for Ventura.

Edit: Reference link to Ventura on Unsupported Macs, in macOS forums

Last edited:

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I suggest that someone modify the name of this thread. There are other Westmere processors that may be just as relevant as the X5690. I have an X5675.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
@PeterHolbrook I have not tried OSX 13 on cMP myself. There is one person @ITzTravelInTime who claimed on the GitHub and this is what he is saying on insanelymac forums maybe he can shed more light on his test and success rate:
Posted 10 hours ago
I managed to get the installer booting on my mac pro 5,1 (which is a socket 1366 system) without using open core, so it seems that this new os works with older cpus. The problem you got is caused by the fact that to boot macOs normally you actually need that avoidrutimedefrag option enabled, but something is different in the booter for the new os so that it doesn't like it when avoidruntimedefrag is enabled and so it stops the system before starting the actual os boot. To solve this we have to wait for the open core team to figure it out and then update our software.
We know that with avoidruntimedefrag and latest Lilu it boots on hacks, but the real issue for the cMP is the AVX-2.
Not officially supported in macOS Ventura, but currently not or only partly capable of running it
  • Machines without AVX2 support will no longer boot
    • If you're unsure whether or not your Mac supports AVX2, type in this command into Terminal sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.leaf7_features | grep AVX2. Getting AVX2 printed out it means your system has a (decent) chance to run Ventura in future.
  • Devices with Ivy Bridge CPUs and older, basically all Macs older than Late 2013 do not support AVX2 natively.
  • Support of these systems would require an opcode emulator to work around it, a complex piece of software.
  • GPU drivers from before Kaby Lake (Intel) or Polaris (AMD) are removed
  • Even if you can boot, you might not have GPU acceleration
Developers will investigate readding support. No guarantees
So even if it boots, there is no guarantee it will work flawlesly on cMP and as @Syncretic said Monterey might very well be the last OS for the cMP.

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Lost in translation? See the differences:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 5.50.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 5.50.26 AM.png
    717.2 KB · Views: 921
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 5.46.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 5.46.28 AM.png
    729.2 KB · Views: 802
  • Haha
Reactions: prefuse07

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
So a summary of Ventura Developer Preview 1 and MacPro5,1:

• Ventura.DP1 boots and kinda works with a MacPro5,1, but you can't do the full install on a MacPro5,1, you have to use a Mac with Haswell or newer CPU to complete the InstallAssistant, it freezes at the last reboot, just before the InstallAssistant opens.
  • You'll need to spoof a MacPro7,1.
  • You'll need to install the dyld cache from a M1 Ventura install to overcome the need of AVX2 CPU support - M1 Rosetta don't support AVX and that's why you can bypass the need of AVX2 for the kernel. This don't mean in any way that apps that require AVX/AVX2 will ever work.
  • Apple removed drivers for all AMD GPUs older than Polaris family / only AMD Polaris and newer AMD cards have acceleration.
  • Only BCM94360/BCM94362 AirPort Extremes are still supported/work,
  • Apple removed Intel82574L.kext, so, no Ethernet.
  • USB1.1 support was also removed. USB maps were also removed for the now unsupported Macs.
  • The install process is highly convoluted right now.
I'll continue to update this post as things evolve.

Last edited:

ITzTravelInTime

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2020
Italia
So a summary of Ventura Developer Preview 1 and MacPro5,1:

• Ventura.DP1 boots and kinda works with a MacPro5,1, but you can't do the full install on a MacPro5,1, you have to use a Mac with Haswell or newer CPU to complete the InstallAssistant, it freezes at the last reboot, just before the InstallAssistant opens.
  • You'll need to spoof a MacPro7,1.
  • You'll need to install the dyld.cache from a M1 Ventura install to overcome the need of AVX2 CPU support - M1 Rosetta don't support AVX and that's why you can bypass the need of AVX2 for the kernel. This don't mean in any way that apps that require AVX/AVX2 will ever work.
  • Apple removed drivers for all AMD GPUs older than Polaris family / only AMD Polaris and newer AMD cards have acceleration.
  • Only BCM94360/BCM94362 AirPort Extremes are still supported/work.
  • The install process is highly convoluted right now.
I'll continue to update this post as things evolve.

Agree with you, works really bad for now and you need to do a lot of things to get it working.

BTW i did that claim on github and it was just because i was able to boot into the installer without using open core, i just plugged the usb installer drive in and selected it in the boot selection menu.

But it had a lot of problems attempting an install, so yeah it's pretty much what @tsialex says.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
BTW i did that claim on github and it was just because i was able to boot into the installer without using open core, i just plugged the usb installer drive in and selected it in the boot selection menu.

But it had a lot of problems attempting an install, so yeah it's pretty much what @tsialex says.
So basically, you were unable to run the installer, yet you had no issues contradicting people there and had no problem with stating this:

i can deny it, it just booted fine on my 2010 mac pro

It's good that you have fessed up, but you really need to be a bit more careful in future

Reactions: freqrider

ITzTravelInTime

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2020
Italia
It's good that you have fessed up, but you really need to be a bit more careful in future
What i meant is that i can use the installer just fine (this means that the os itself should run without the need for avx2 itself), but the problem is completing the install. So that's why i concluded that the os doesn't really require avx2 but i said i had problems getting the install to complete.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
It is incorrect to say you can use an installer just fine when the process fails to complete.
Anyway. Let's leave it there and hope there is further progress made.

Reactions: freqrider

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2021
Not much to say, but Ventura does boot on the cMPs (5,1/4,1 & potentially the 3,1) with a bit of help. I've provided the instructions needed to get to the Ventura desktop on the OpenCore on Mac Pro thread. I'll clean up the instructions and create a post here in a moment
full

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2021
Booting macOS Ventura Developer Beta 1 on the 2010 Mac Pro
Resources required:
macOS 13 InstallAssistant (Installer): http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...3xjgyznf6415vin9xv7a6ws5/InstallAssistant.pkg
M1 build of os.dmg disk image loaded onto a USB drive: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=12vCE0MAzcRqN7zJu5EbbzsZeroeI_Gsm
Modified OCLP EFI linked in the OpenCore on Mac Pro post (or at least the APFS Patch under Kernel -> Patch)

Option 1:
1. You'll want to get macOS Ventura installed on a Haswell+ machine. Once you reach the desktop, reboot to the recovery environment.
2. From the recovery, you can open up a terminal window and mount the fresh install's preboot volume (diskutil list, diskutil mount disk#s#)
3. Once you get the preboot mounted, you'll want to navigate to /Volumes/Preboot/Long-UUID(check this using ls)/cryptex1/current/
4. Run an ls command here, and you should see the os.dmg file
5. Now run a cp command and replace the Preboot's os.dmg with the M1 os.dmg (should be on your USB drive)
6. Shut down your Haswell+ Mac and swap the Ventura drive into your cMP. Ventura should now boot!

Option 2:
1. You'll want to get Ventura "installed" onto your CMP. macOS will eventually stall at a point during the verbose portion of the first "installed" boot.
2. Once macOS stalls, reboot and ensure that macOS is still stalled.
3. Then you can reboot again into the recovery environment
4. From the recovery, you can open up a terminal window and mount the fresh install's preboot volume (diskutil list, diskutil mount disk#s#)
5. Once you get the preboot mounted, you'll want to navigate to /Volumes/Preboot/Long-UUID(check this using ls)/cryptex1/current/
6. Run an ls command here, and you should see the os.dmg file
7. Now run a cp command and replace the Preboot's os.dmg with the M1 os.dmg (should be on your USB drive)
8. Once that's done, reboot your machine and Ventura should boot to either a loading bar at ~60% with a cursor or a grey screen with a beachball.
9. Now you'll need to remove the Ventura drive from your cMP and install it/boot from it in another mac that is Ivy Bridge+.
This is done because the Ventura setup assistant does not play well with Non-AVX1 machines
Once you get through the Ventura Setup assistant, remove the drive and reinstall it in your cMP
10. If all things go to plan, you should boot into the Ventura desktop!

ghost82

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2019
@Jazzzny sorry, do we need also os.dmg.root_hash and os.dmg.trustcache files to be replaced?Could you kindly share them if you have them?
Thank you

9. Now you'll need to remove the Ventura drive from your cMP and install it/boot from it in another mac that is Ivy Bridge+

I think I may have misunderstood it, so my previous question about why not using a sandy bridge, but now I think that with "IvyBridge+" you exclude Ivy Bridge, right?

Last edited:

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2021
@Jazzzny sorry, do we need also os.dmg.root_hash and os.dmg.trustcache files to be replaced?Could you kindly share them if you have them?
Thank you

I think I may have misunderstood it, so my previous question about why not using a sandy bridge, but now I think that with "IvyBridge+" you exclude Ivy Bridge, right?
The hash files are not required, and Ivy Bridge+ does include Ivy Bridge. I believe Sandy Bridge has some issues with the Setup Assistant.

Reactions: Bmju and ghost82

ghost82

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2019
I believe Sandy Bridge has some issues with the Setup Assistant
Yes, I confirm this, after replacing the cache files in sandy bridge it successfully reboots but then it doesn't proceed further (I think at the moment of when the language selector should appear); and thank you for your reply, still I don't get why ivy works and sandy not, then it's not only related to avx2...

Vocelia

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2022
Do you have any idea on how I can skip setup assistant ? I dont have a machine to finish it and I have a black screen just when I should reach it (Sandy Bridge)

zzzippp

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Do you have any idea on how I can skip setup assistant ? I dont have a machine to finish it and I have a black screen just when I should reach it (Sandy Bridge)

I was able to do this in Parallels Desktop version 17. I don't own it; I just downloaded it to use the 14-day fully working trial app. Since I used a newer Mac, I did not have to swap out the os.dmg on the Preboot volume until after I got Ventura installed in a Parallels virtual machine and went through the Setup Assistant.

I am not sure of the exact method, but in essence you should be able to set up a Parallels Virtual Machine that uses the physical drive that you've installed Ventura to as its boot drive. I remember seeing support documents online explaining how to do this. Then get through the Setup Assistant while booted as a virtual machine. NOTE: Your results may differ from mine, there are no guarantees it will work!

Reactions: andyapple123

Vocelia

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2022
Yea, it finally wasnt the Setup that had problems, but the graphics drivers (I have an AMD RX550) as they now use AVX2, and dont work on Sandy Bridge

• Sad
Reactions: zzzippp

5T33Z0

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2022
Booting macOS Ventura Developer Beta 1 on the 2010 Mac Pro
Resources required:
macOS 13 InstallAssistant (Installer): http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...3xjgyznf6415vin9xv7a6ws5/InstallAssistant.pkg
M1 build of os.dmg disk image loaded onto a USB drive: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=12vCE0MAzcRqN7zJu5EbbzsZeroeI_Gsm
Modified OCLP EFI linked in the OpenCore on Mac Pro post (or at least the APFS Patch under Kernel -> Patch)

Option 1:
1. You'll want to get macOS Ventura installed on a Haswell+ machine. Once you reach the desktop, reboot to the recovery environment.
2. From the recovery, you can open up a terminal window and mount the fresh install's preboot volume (diskutil list, diskutil mount disk#s#)
3. Once you get the preboot mounted, you'll want to navigate to /Volumes/Preboot/Long-UUID(check this using ls)/cryptex1/current/
4. Run an ls command here, and you should see the os.dmg file
5. Now run a cp command and replace the Preboot's os.dmg with the M1 os.dmg (should be on your USB drive)
6. Shut down your Haswell+ Mac and swap the Ventura drive into your cMP. Ventura should now boot!

Option 2:
1. You'll want to get Ventura "installed" onto your CMP. macOS will eventually stall at a point during the verbose portion of the first "installed" boot.
2. Once macOS stalls, reboot and ensure that macOS is still stalled.
3. Then you can reboot again into the recovery environment
4. From the recovery, you can open up a terminal window and mount the fresh install's preboot volume (diskutil list, diskutil mount disk#s#)
5. Once you get the preboot mounted, you'll want to navigate to /Volumes/Preboot/Long-UUID(check this using ls)/cryptex1/current/
6. Run an ls command here, and you should see the os.dmg file
7. Now run a cp command and replace the Preboot's os.dmg with the M1 os.dmg (should be on your USB drive)
8. Once that's done, reboot your machine and Ventura should boot to either a loading bar at ~60% with a cursor or a grey screen with a beachball.
9. Now you'll need to remove the Ventura drive from your cMP and install it/boot from it in another mac that is Ivy Bridge+.
This is done because the Ventura setup assistant does not play well with Non-AVX1 machines
Once you get through the Ventura Setup assistant, remove the drive and reinstall it in your cMP
10. If all things go to plan, you should boot into the Ventura desktop!
@Jazzzny
Great Guide. Thanks a lot! I managed to install Ventura on my Ivy Bridge Notebook with it using Option 1. Do you have any insights about the status of Intel HD 4000?

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I managed to install Ventura on my Ivy Bridge Notebook with it using Option 1. Do you have any insights about the status of Intel HD 4000?
Can you please don't hijack the thread? This is a discussion specific to Mac Pro 5,1. If you want to discuss your unsupported Mac, please visit the link posted into opening post.

Reactions: PeterHolbrook
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.