Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxgohan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2011
btw this is for a 2011 i5 13" mbp

should i upgrade the ram to 8 gb as well while i'm at it?

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
btw this is for a 2011 i5 13" mbp

should i upgrade the ram to 8 gb as well while i'm at it?

These would be the two biggest upgrades you can make for your system. Go for it but as for the SSD know that you won't be able to do firmware upgrades unless you have a Windows PC with AHCI support nearby

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
These would be the two biggest upgrades you can make for your system. Go for it but as for the SSD know that you won't be able to do firmware upgrades unless you have a Windows PC with AHCI support nearby

I used parted magic and the linux updater to update a vertex 2, that was on a PC though. I thought you should be able to use the linux option on a MBP. Be annoying to have to remove it each time just to update on a PC.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I used parted magic and the linux updater to update a vertex 2, that was on a PC though. I thought you should be able to use the linux option on a MBP. Be annoying to have to remove it each time just to update on a PC.

It didn't work for me and the fact that few distros (i haven't found any besides the latest Ubuntu betas) support the 2011 MBP hardware. Even then i kept getting the unsupported drive error.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
It didn't work for me and the fact that few distros (i haven't found any besides the latest Ubuntu betas) support the 2011 MBP hardware. Even then i kept getting the unsupported drive error.

Cool thanks for the heads up. I have not choosen a SSD for my MBP yet so will take that into consideration

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.