Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
Can someone who has MiniLED iPad compare it to OLED iPad once you get one in hands and say honestly is there enough difference? Maybe post few pics if not too much trouble.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Pics won’t really get it across if you view them on an LCD. From using Samsung OLED tablets, I can tell you that there is a significant difference. Mini LED doesn’t really differ much from regular LCD, apart from HDR highlights and blooming.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
While I don’t have a lot of hands on experience with the Mini-LED iPad, I will say the blooming was distracting in some instances when I demoed the M1 iPad Pro, and it was what made me stick with my 2018 to hold out for OLED. A lot of people didn’t notice or mind the blooming.

When comparing my high end Mini-LED and OLED TVs, the difference depends on the content. MOST content looks very similar, and in a brightly lit room it can be hard to pick out the raised blacks or blooming of the Mini-LED. But scenes and even UI elements that have a lot of detail in dark areas or stark contrast between light and dark look significantly better on the OLED, especially if the room is dark.

I would imagine the situation is similar on iPad. I’m sure there will soon be a bunch of articles comparing the M1/M2 MiniLED and the OLED screens.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I think in normal daylight conditions (with medium brightness) you won't notice much difference. In very bright conditions you will as the new panel can go to 1000 nits in SDR wheres the M1 I have standard went to 600

HDR (or XDR as apple calls) it is the same - 1.000 to 1600 max

In dark conditions watching movies like Star Wars or shows like Foundation with lots of dark black backgrounds you will probably see some deeper blacks and shouldn't see any blooming.
Mini LED was for definitely a step up from LCD for me.

I'll be especially interested to see how apps such as Notes react in Dark mode and in dark conditions. There was always a grey square haze around white text / UI elements on the mini LED which seemed more than just blooming.

I should get mine Wednesday so if you like I'll come back to this thread and post some findings, but I'm sure many others will as well :)

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I think in normal daylight conditions (with medium brightness) you won't notice much difference. In very bright conditions you will as the new panel can go to 1000 nits in SDR wheres the M1 I have standard went to 600

HDR (or XDR as apple calls) it is the same - 1.000 to 1600 max

In dark conditions watching movies like Star Wars or shows like Foundation with lots of dark black backgrounds you will probably see some deeper blacks and shouldn't see any blooming.
Mini LED was for definitely a step up from LCD for me.

I'll be especially interested to see how apps such as Notes react in Dark mode and in dark conditions. There was always a grey square haze around white text / UI elements on the mini LED which seemed more than just blooming.

I should get mine Wednesday so if you like I'll come back to this thread and post some findings, but I'm sure many others will as well :)

Please do come back - I'm very curious as to subjective views of the new display.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Forget the brightness, it’s all about the response time. OLED+ProMotion is going to be smooth as butter while the horrible ghosting with the current miniLED is a hot mess.
OLED still has significant motion blur, as any sample-and-hold display without BFI (black frame insertion) or backlight scanning.

Reactions: motulist

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
OLED still has significant motion blur, as any sample-and-hold display without BFI (black frame insertion) or backlight scanning.
Possibly depending on the quality of the OLED but usually you combat this with higher refresh rates or bfi as you stated. All things equal, Apple’s standard for OLED will undoubtedly be far superior to their miniLED. For example, an iPhone Pro display is miles better than an iPad Pro or MBP miniLED.

Last edited:

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Can someone who has MiniLED iPad compare it to OLED iPad once you get one in hands and say honestly is there enough difference? Maybe post few pics if not too much trouble.
you can buy a 65" oled tv now for the cost of these iPads lol

Reactions: Isamilis

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Everyone’s comparing apples and oranges here. Apples TANDEM OLED is a brand new process that no current TV or Samsung tablet has.

The only realistic and usable comparison would be to view a miniLED and OLED iPad side-by-side.

It’s only a few more days until the 15th when we’ll actually be able to do this.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Everyone’s comparing apples and oranges here. Apples TANDEM OLED is a brand new process that no current TV or Samsung tablet has.
Tandem OLED as such isn’t completely new, it has been used in cars since 2019. I wouldn't expect it to look different from regular OLED except for brightness. Some hands-on reviewers also stated that to them it looked like the Samsung tablets they were familiar with.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I regret buying a FALD TV (not Mini-LED but the same idea) for my secondary TV, after owning OLED as my primary TV. In a low light environment, the difference between FALD and OLED is instantly obvious. In a bright room though, the difference is much less noticeable.

And blooming just sucks. I hate it.

Reactions: th1nk and PaperMag

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
The question is why the switch? I could be cost all the way, or it could be several reasons.

Last edited:

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Tandem OLED as such isn’t completely new, it has been used in cars since 2019. I wouldn't expect it to look different from regular OLED except for brightness. Some hands-on reviewers also stated that to them it looked like the Samsung tablets they were familiar with.
Even if tandem OLED is not completely brand new, I still maintain the miniLED and OLED iPads need to be seen side-by-side for an accurate comparison. Judging based on a “memory“ of a Samsung tablet is not reliable as we all know how tricky memory can be.

Reactions: sparksd

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Yes - I'd be able to pass this test easily

Mini-LED Blooming is really obvious to anyone with OLED experience

Well, it depends on the content, really. I have two OLED TVs and had a Mini LED iPad, and I can tell you the iPad was quite close. The most noticeable blooming was present when a video had black bars and there is a halo effect around the picture, but in most content it really looks quite good.

I think I could easily pass a blind test, looking at different content on the two screens side by side, however, for regular use I think a lot of people will find the differences smaller than they might think. The Mini LEDs on iPads also have perfect blacks and also hit 1000/1600nit brightness. I do believe the Tandem OLED will have a punchier HDR presentation, and I am excited about it - but I was really happy with iPad Mini LED screens. You really have to go looking for blooming in 90% content (yes, there are moments where it's obvious, but it's rare).

Still, excited to check out the new iPad Pros - I do believe their screens will be superb.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
The blooming on the mini led iPad Pro was really bad. But it’s not at all bad on the m3 Macbook Pro with the same mini led interestingly

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I wouldn't test based on bloom, I'd test based on pixel response (ghosting/smearing with scrolling). That I'd be able to detect immediately.

Reactions: Sheepish-Lord

patriotsfan82

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Getting rid of the blooming and trading 40-45ms response times for what should be <5ms are two items that don't need a side by side comparison to evaluate.

For anyone familiar with these types of displays and their shortcomings, a direct comparison isn't required to know that the OLED display should resolve the two primary shortcomings of the MiniLED screen - blurry response times and blooming/poor black levels.

If you've never noticed the blooming and have no idea what people mean when they complain about the screen being blurry when moving - I'm not sure even a side by side comparison will reveal the issues to you.

patriotsfan82

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Well, it depends on the content, really. I have two OLED TVs and had a Mini LED iPad, and I can tell you the iPad was quite close. The most noticeable blooming was present when a video had black bars and there is a halo effect around the picture, but in most content it really looks quite good.

I think I could easily pass a blind test, looking at different content on the two screens side by side, however, for regular use I think a lot of people will find the differences smaller than they might think. The Mini LEDs on iPads also have perfect blacks and also hit 1000/1600nit brightness. I do believe the Tandem OLED will have a punchier HDR presentation, and I am excited about it - but I was really happy with iPad Mini LED screens. You really have to go looking for blooming in 90% content (yes, there are moments where it's obvious, but it's rare).

Still, excited to check out the new iPad Pros - I do believe their screens will be superb.
Blooming in most "bright" content is harder to detect - but give me content with dark scenes (e.g. where real blacks would matter) in my preferred watching environment (a dark room) and the blooming will be noticeable pretty much all the time.

The MiniLED trick works best in a lit room with high-brightness content (so the contrast between an "on" area and an "off" area is at max). In a dark room with lower screen brightness, the contrast differential between on/off is really insufficient (at least for me).

Then again, I also find most current LG OLED vertical banding to be obnoxiously visible during most dark content when others don't.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
mini-led blooming compared to oled blue pixels fading after 1 year of daily usage

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
mini-led blooming compared to oled blue pixels fading after 1 year of daily usage
TV OLED is not the same thing as tandem OLED. The whole point of tandem / dual-stack OLED in the first place is to reduce pixel power utilization and heat generation, which would dramatically increase longevity (which is claimed to be by a factor of four compared to the usual single-stack OLED).

I wish tandem OLED would come to TV, that is if it could be priced reasonably.

The untrained eye wont notice a difference. Oled isn't worth is unless its 4k
It's obvious even many an untrained eye... if in a completely dark environment. In a well-lit environment, not so much.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
again, you cannot avoid blue pixel fading, no matter how many stacks you have...its not generating by heat or brightness, this is not something that they can avoid like burn-in with software or hardware.
TV ipads monitors must come with microLed, TV already have some, but only on the bigger scale since shriniking microLed pixels is the hardest
When you use an 1 year used oled tech, dual single stack along size with a same device tech fresh panel...we always see the difference, and we need proper image for our 3d modelling projects
Micro-led is the future for the next decades and not this miss and match tech with walkarounds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.