Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Sometimes the Mac App Store surprises me with a new game.... that shows great potential and somewhat anticipated, and yet the publisher never bothered to tell any Mac gamers that they already released it for OSX.

Omertà, City of Gangsters I just stumbled on it at the Mac App Store. It wasn't even previewed in the What's New section. I think I just accidentally spotted it because I was browsing through the listing of all RPG and Strategy games in Mac App Store. How the heck do they expect Mac gamers to buy their game if they spend zero effort promoting the Mac version? Even their official website (Kalypso) makes no mention that a Mac version exists.

Windows version has been out for several months of course. Anyone played the Windows version, can you recommend it? I know it's a 1920s-era Al Capone (Scarface) mobster theme of game. I'd like to know a bit more about gameplay before I buy.

omerta_buildings_04.jpg

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Seems like Kalypso haven't yet bothered to add the Mac version to their Steam page. Clearly, they don't do this for the money.:)

There is a nice review on youtube, if you're interested.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
That's interesting. I trust it's a native port and not a Cider wrapper ?

Regardless, thanks for the heads-up. I wasn't aware of this.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Seems like Kalypso haven't yet bothered to add the Mac version to their Steam page. Clearly, they don't do this for the money.:)

There is a nice review on youtube, if you're interested.

It is Steamplay now. :D

----------

Unfortunately it got pretty mediocre reviews.

I think enhancements to the game and DLC have addressed some of the things that were criticized since the game launched.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Unfortunately it got pretty mediocre reviews.

I read those reviews, and I concluded (from those reviews) that the game itself is not bad... only that it needed a couple of big updates to correct some things (that could easily be corrected by an update). These were based on PC reviews/criticisms back in January.

And it seems that the Mac version just 'recently released' in Apple Mac App Store is already at version 1.05

So I guess the answer would be... did Kalypso's patches address the gamer concerns?

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
And costs only twice as much! Now I know why they're so quiet about it.:D

That is only a temporary state of affairs. The game will be dirt cheap on sale there. It's just a matter of time. If it doesn't get a daily or weekend before fall, then the fall or winter sale should make it nice and cheap.

Of course, whether any of that matters depends on if someone is in a rush to play it or not. I'm not personally, so I wish listed it on Steam and will buy it when the price is good.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
it's a pretty slow game. bought it on gog when it went on sale. the missions are basically click and wait. the only actual action in game play is when there are fight missions. most of the game is waiting for your characters to finish their missions. if it was 10 dollars it would be worth it. but beyond that it is a very slow and super watered down sim city with a minor action fight sequence. which i don't mind too much. there is a lot of waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.