Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Updated to 12.1, no dice. Is it an "exclusive" feature for the newer iPhones only?

draa

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
Maybe swiping up from lockscreen to access control center -> flashlight is a workaround you can live with? That’s the way I handle it on my 7+ with 12.1

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
That's exactly what I was afraid to hear.

This just drives consumers like myself further away from Apple ecosystem.

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

If that is the deciding factor for you, I think you were already one foot out the door. Sure I can get the flashlight with one click on my Xs, but it was only an upslide (to get to CC) and a click on my 7+. Ergonomically, very little difference.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
The camera button is so useless. We all know we can swipe to the side for YEARS now and have access to the camera. But a single flashlight toggle would look dumb. Instead they could do one button, with at least 5 or 6 options/apps when you press it

Reactions: Belvoire

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
The camera button is so useless. We all know we can swipe to the side for YEARS now and have access to the camera. But a single flashlight toggle would look dumb. Instead they could do one button, with at least 5 or 6 options/apps when you press it
You can add it to the Control Centre though...

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

It's exclusive the the X phone because it's not as easy to access the control center to toggle the flashlight. It makes perfect sense that older phones retain the same way it's been done for 5+ years.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
After getting my xs I avoid the control center. I REALLY have to stretch my thumb to reach the right notch for the cc
That's essentially why those lockscreen shortcuts are there.
[doublepost=1542124751][/doublepost]
It's exclusive the the X phone because it's not as easy to access the control center to toggle the flashlight. It makes perfect sense that older phones retain the same way it's been done for 5+ years.
The only downside with that is that just to get the flashlight one needs to enable access to all of Control Center from the lockscreen, which allows access for much more, including being able to put the phone in airplane mode, for example.

Reactions: Peter K.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
That's essentially why those lockscreen shortcuts are there.
[doublepost=1542124751][/doublepost]
The only downside with that is that just to get the flashlight one needs to enable access to all of Control Center from the lockscreen, which allows access for much more, including being able to put the phone in airplane mode, for example.
Yeah but I need the flashlight waaayy more often than I am on the lockscreen. But I would love a new gesture like 3d touch on homebar area or the old 3d touch multitasking gesture to bring up cc.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah but I need the flashlight waaayy more often than I am on the lockscreen. But I would love a new gesture like 3d touch on homebar area or the old 3d touch multitasking gesture to bring up cc.
There's also reachability that can help when it comes to easier access to control center.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2010
Didn't you know you can say "Hey Siri flashlight" and it will turn it on?!?!

Also works good when you can't find your phone in a dark room and boom, the light comes on!!!

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
I didn't know. I turn off Siri right from the get go.

That lady has zero comprehension skill.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014

Also works good when you can't find your phone in a dark room and boom, the light comes on!!!

Hey that's new, last I checked (don't remember when) Siri wouldn't do it.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

And “flashlight off” will turn it off as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.