Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simmias

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Like so many others, I was struggling to decide between the 11” and 13” M4 iPad Pro. I was upgrading my 12.9” M1 iPad Pro and ordered both new sizes to test after reading all the discussion threads.

A lot of people seem to be going with the 11” and making the case that it offers the best balance of function and portability. I respect the 11” lifestyle and was tempted myself by the compact size and light weight. But in the end, I realized that I couldn’t resist the pull of the 13”.

Both are great products, and those who have a clear affinity for the 11” will be very happy with their choice. That said, I think that those who are on the fence should take the plunge on the 13” and that the trade offs are well worth it for most people.

Here’s why I think the 13” is still the king of iPads and the best choice for most people:

• Thinner & lighter form factor - When Apple removed the bezels from the 12.9” in 2018, it become a much better general purpose device. The 2024 model takes another leap in this direction, making the 13” easier to hold in your hands. With the new 13”, you gain a much bigger screen compared to the 11” without adding much weight. Even those who only use the iPad as a handheld tablet for media consumption now arguably have a better experience with the 13”
  • More immersive screen & speakers - for watching shows or movies in bed, the 13” is simply more immersive and just as easy to rest on your chest or a pillow for long periods. The speakers are noticeably louder and clearer than the 11”. The 11” just seemed small after getting used to the 12.9” for the last 5 or so years.
  • Full-size keyboard - I’m typing this on the 13” Magic Keyboard and it feels fantastic. I found the 11” Magic Keyboard very usable but not as comfortable for long form writing.
  • More portable than you think - neither iPad Pro fits into your pocket. Both fit easily into most backpacks, messenger bags or slings. With the Magic Keyboard case, I can easily carry my iPad Pro around the neighborhood one-handed just like a professional leather folio. The matte black exterior is less obtrusive than carrying shiny aluminum MacBook and makes it feasible to carry without a bag.
  • Better Pro Max companion - with the iPhone 15 Pro Max, which is also lighter than the previous generation, I can now use my phone comfortably to read books, do email and get light work done. As phones get larger and take on more tablet use cases, it makes sense for tablets to get larger and take on more laptop use cases. Whether or not you also have a laptop or desktop, the 13” iPad makes more sense in a world of larger phones.
  • Sticker shock is temporary - yes, the extra $300 for the larger iPad and the extra $50 for the larger Magic does sting, but the life of your iPad will far outlast the hole in your wallet. It’s worth it to get the one that will give you the best and most immersive experience.
  • 13” FOMO will haunt your dreams - deep down, you know you want the 13”. You tell yourself that the 11” keyboard is good enough; that the “More Space” mode makes up for lack of screen estate; that you don’t mind squinting a bit when multi-tasking; that the speakers sound ok for the size; that Apple won’t announce more pro features at WWDC that take advantage of the 13” screen. But when you’re laying in bed at night, you’ll picture the glorious 13” OLED canvas and know in your heart that you deserve the top of the line iPad Pro.
I’m happy with my choice to stick with the larger size and think it’s a good move for anyone who is on the fence. The new 13” reduces the downsides of the larger size while keeping all the upsides. Anyone else happy with their choice to stick with or move to the 13”?

Last edited:

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Could be right, I didn't notice much diff from my M1 11" to M4 11" in the week I had it.
Except the worse speakers lol
Bit brighter/colour. Same weight with folio case.

Reactions: HailstormX

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
Coming from a 2018 12.9” here are my thoughts.
At first I felt Apple charging an extra $400 CAD for the 2” larger size with all the same specs seemed excessive to me. So I bought the 11” initially and figured if I didn’t like it, I’d switch it for the 13. That didn’t happen. Instead I fell in love with the smaller form factor. 11 is easier to schlep and pull out in cramped spaces. Better scrolling through forums and webpages holding with one hand vertically (man I love doing that). It’s just so nice to handle and use. My 12.9” was more heavy / awkward and as a result I reached for it less often. The new 13” is thinner / lighter and I’m sure I would use it more but the form factor of the 11 just suits my use case so much better. I find myself bringing it around the house more and packing it when I leave. Real work gets done on my 16” MacBook Pro connected up to a large monitor. If I was going to only have one machine (and could get by with just an iPad) I would definitely pick the 13 though. It does have a much better on screen keyboard than the 11. I hate the missing number row on this thing. Having said that I can’t do the work I do on iPad and should I want to type, the Magic Keyboard has absolutely nothing on my Keychron Q1 Max with lubed Banana switches and GMK keycaps 🤤
Screen size is still immersive in close quarters and this one gets bright enough to use outside which is amazing.
Volume and sound quality on this thing is also more than adequate. If I want to be picky, I could always connect my AirPods Pro, Bose QC35 for flights, or portable DAC/amp with a nice set of cans for much better audio fidelity. Same as I would with the 13”. So yea, over all I’m smitten with the 11”. Except the on screen keyboard which is trash. There’s so much unused space they could stick in that number row up top. Maybe in the next OS update but I won’t hold my breath. o_O

Last edited:

vapourtrails

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2016
I tried both and swapped the 11” For a 13” and I still also have a first generation 11”. At first the 13” did feel a bit much after 5 years with the old model but you quickly get used to it. The main reason I wanted the larger model is because the iPad will allow me to edit some upcoming video projects and i think it will be better for editing photos.

Reactions: ericwn and PaperMag

TheWraith

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2024
In the before times (M2), there was a .50 pound difference between the 12.9 and 11. Now the difference is only .22 pounds. So the 13 vs 11 argument isn't as strong for the 11 anymore.
Except that for many, an iPad that is over 1 pound isn’t viable. There’s a real sweet spot there.

It’s nice the 13 inch is lighter now, but it’s still just not portable.

dfcacc

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2015
I had a 11“ for the past few years and went with the 13” this time because I use it mostly as a laptop. Both sizes are great and can get the same stuff done. Which one is better for you depends on how you use it and your preference for bigger screen vs portability. For laptop like use, the 13”. For tablet use the 11”.

I use both mostly as a laptop type device. The 11” works really well and has such a nice portable feel that I love to carry around. With the 13 I do notice and appreciate the larger screen.

Reactions: teralpar and thmsnt

Aka757

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
After having used both, I feel fairly confident that the 11” is the device for me. I feel that the 13” is better if it’s more of your main machine, or you want to do multi-tasking, or if it will live on the Magic Keyboard. For me, the 11” was just much more pleasant to use as a tablet, and honestly after a while you get used to the 11” and the reduced screen real estate doesn’t feel like a huge compromise for regular tablet use. Depends very much on use case though.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
neither iPad Pro fits into your pocket. Both fit easily into most backpacks, messenger bags or slings.
I have a sling for my DSLR that fits the 11" and the camera with 2 lenses. Just barey, but it does. It's barely any bigger than the iPad itself. Of course I could fit the 13" in a bigger bag or backpack with the magic keyboard, but if I did that I could just take the 13" MBA instead. The difference in weight and size is small and the battery lasts more than twice as long.

In terms of needing a lightweight device on the go the 13" iPad makes no sense to me especially when you add the size, weight and cost of the magic keyboard.

Stev150

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
I had the 12.9 m1 iPad at that time I would have gotten the 11 if it had the mini led, now both sizes have the same screen technology I’ve upgraded to the 11. So much better for me personally and because of the different screen ratio watching films utube etc isn’t much difference as u would think,

Reactions: ivantheipodder

Tevosn

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2020
I remember getting a 12.9” in 2019, sold it pretty fast. I didn’t like the weight, but I also did not like the screen size.

andy89

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
I had the 2018 11” and upgraded to the 13” for the OLED screen. Initially I thought I’d made a mistake, but I got over it. Now I think it was the right choice. Give it a chance.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Like so many others, I was struggling to decide between the 11” and 13” M4 iPad Pro. I was upgrading my 12.9” M1 iPad Pro and ordered both new sizes to test after reading all the discussion threads.

You didn’t say if you’re using it as your main computer….

Thats a pretty big point to consider.

13” is surely better for using as a laptop or at a desk.

But does it really best the portability of the 11” in your hand?!

13” would feel to big for me to carry around. It’s like walking around with the screen off my M2 MBA.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012

A lot of people seem to be going with the 11” and making the case that it offers the best balance of function and portability. I respect the 11” lifestyle and was tempted myself by the compact size and light weight. But in the end, I realized that I couldn’t resist the pull of the 13”.

Both are great products, and those who have a clear affinity for the 11” will be very happy with their choice. That said, I think that those who are on the fence should take the plunge on the 13” and that the trade offs are well worth it for most people.

Here’s why I think the 13” is still the king of iPads and the best choice for most people:

• Thinner & lighter form factor - When Apple removed the bezels from the 12.9” in 2018, it become a much better general purpose device. The 2024 model takes another leap in this direction, making the 13” easier to hold in your hands. With the new 13”, you gain a much bigger screen compared to the 11” without adding much weight. Even those who only use the iPad as a handheld tablet for media consumption now arguably have a better experience with the 13”
  • More immersive screen & speakers - for watching shows or movies in bed, the 13” is simply more immersive and just as easy to rest on your chest or a pillow for long periods. The speakers are noticeably louder and clearer than the 11”. The 11” just seemed small after getting used to the 12.9” for the last 5 or so years.
  • Full-size keyboard - I’m typing this on the 13” Magic Keyboard and it feels fantastic. I found the 11” Magic Keyboard very usable but not as comfortable for long form writing.
  • More portable than you think - neither iPad Pro fits into your pocket. Both fit easily into most backpacks, messenger bags or slings. With the Magic Keyboard case, I can easily carry my iPad Pro around the neighborhood one-handed just like a professional leather folio. The matte black exterior is less obtrusive than carrying shiny aluminum MacBook and makes it feasible to carry without a bag.
  • Better Pro Max companion - with the iPhone 15 Pro Max, which is also lighter than the previous generation, I can now use my phone comfortably to read books, do email and get light work done. As phones get larger and take on more tablet use cases, it makes sense for tablets to get larger and take on more laptop use cases. Whether or not you also have a laptop or desktop, the 13” iPad makes more sense in a world of larger phones.
  • Sticker shock is temporary - yes, the extra $300 for the larger iPad and the extra $50 for the larger Magic does sting, but the life of your iPad will far outlast the hole in your wallet. It’s worth it to get the one that will give you the best and most immersive experience.
  • 13” FOMO will haunt your dreams - deep down, you know you want the 13”. You tell yourself that the 11” keyboard is good enough; that the “More Space” mode makes up for lack of screen estate; that you don’t mind squinting a bit when multi-tasking; that the speakers sound ok for the size; that Apple won’t announce more pro features at WWDC that take advantage of the 13” screen. But when you’re laying in bed at night, you’ll picture the glorious 13” OLED canvas and know in your heart that you deserve the top of the line iPad Pro.
I’m happy with my choice to stick with the larger size and think it’s a good move for anyone who is on the fence. The new 13” reduces the downsides of the larger size while keeping all the upsides. Anyone else happy with their choice to stick with or move to the 13”?
I don’t get “13” FOMO will haunt your dreams”, lol. I think it’s personal choice. Not everyone wish to have 13” size. You don’t have to look down other people’s choice to justify your purchase.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
As someone who had the 13” last time and went back to the 11”, I strongly disagree with this post lol. I mean, it’s great that you love the 13”, but I would not recommend it as the default choice.

• Thinner & lighter form factor - It's great that the 13" is thinner and lighter, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still massive when you're holding it. You cannot type on just the tablet without putting it down on something. It's awkward to hold it with one hand to tap on something with the other hand.
  • More immersive screen & speakers - True, but the 11" is actually pretty immersive when you're using it as a tablet. If you're using your tablet mostly on a desk or a good distance away from you, then yeah, the 13" will be significantly more immersive.
  • Full-size keyboard - I didn't buy a Magic Keyboard for my iPad this time, so I don't care about this. On my last iPad, I had a Magic Keyboard, and it made my iPad way too redundant with my MacBook.
  • More portable than you think - Disagree. The 13" was less portable than I thought it'd be last time I had it, especially when paired with the Magic Keyboard and Pencil. I know the weight and thickness has been reduced now though. But having the 13" just made me appreciate how much more portable the 11" form factor is.
  • Better Pro Max companion - I'd argue that you're just using your Pro Max how an iPad would traditionally be used, and now you probably like the 13" better because it's more of a laptop replacement for you. I have a Pro Max, but I'd still much rather watch videos on my iPad Pro 11 than my Pro Max. I also have split screen and slide over on my iPad which I don't on my Pro Max.
  • Sticker shock is temporary - If you're talking to someone who's on the fence about which size to get, an extra $300-$350 (a 30% uncharge on the base model) is a lot of money for ~95% of the same functionality. And they still might hate the size when they try it. If someone really loves the 13", then obviously the price is worth it to them, but again, I just can't get on board with making the 13" the default decision.
  • 13” FOMO will haunt your dreams - You're making a lot of assumptions about someone without really knowing their situation. If you knew you'd have FOMO and avoided that, great! But not everyone plans to do a ton of multitasking, is worried about the 11" being cramped, or feels FOMO at all just because they're undecided. Also, the 13" may be bigger and more expensive (implying better) than the 11", but when I had one, it made me hate everything I loved about the iPad. And I thought I'd love it.

My advice to anyone on the fence: If you plan to use the iPad mostly in your hands, with an Apple Pencil, or as just a tablet, get the 11". If you plan to use it mostly with a keyboard, as a laptop replacement, or on a desk or your lap, get the 13". If you're STILL undecided, go to an Apple/electronic store and try for yourself, or buy from a place with a good return policy and make sure to use it if you're not happy with your decision.

This is a very personal use case decision, so I am just not a fan of someone making blanket statements of what size everyone should go with if they can't decide. There's a reason the 11" vs 12.9" poll here has thousands of vote and is still split at 50/50.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.