Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Last night it was brought to my attention that my son's PowerBook was freezing while connected to power. It also had difficulty charging.

I suspect the DC-In board. Looks like the board from my old TiBook 400 will replace this.

However, I took this as an opportunity to update my son (so to speak).

He's now got a 1.5Ghz 15" AlBook on the way. It's got a slight screen issue, but we'll see if that's a pressure thing or the screen.

If it's the screen I'll take care of that later. But for now, he gets it with a power supply and two batteries.

Looks to be in decent condition. This will be our first 15" Albook in the house. I guess that means the circle is complete as I have the 17" and my wife has the 12".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262421749073?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

^^^MODS!!!! NOT MY AUCTION!!!!

s-l500.jpg

Reactions: Gamer9430

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Very nice! Hope he enjoys it :)
He will. I showed him the auction pics and he's excited. Haven't told him yet that the things I got for his TiBook that gave him Bluetooth and Airport Extreme are standard on the AlBooks, as is USB 2.0.

He'll be real happy to hear that once it arrives and we get it all set up. :)
[doublepost=1463865765][/doublepost]PS. I'll be cloning his current Leopard install.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
He will. I showed him the auction pics and he's excited. Haven't told him yet that the things I got for his TiBook that gave him Bluetooth and Airport Extreme are standard on the AlBooks, as is USB 2.0.

He'll be real happy to hear that once it arrives and we get it all set up. :)
[doublepost=1463865765][/doublepost]PS. I'll be cloning his current Leopard install.
What model of TiBook did he have before? Also, I'm curious; I find using my 1.5 GHz 12" PowerBook to be... less than a satisfactory experience for web browsing, even compared to my eMac. It's usable, but frustrating much of the time. I can't even imagine what it would be like on a TiBook. What kind of things has your son been using that TiBook for?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
What model of TiBook did he have before? Also, I'm curious; I find using my 1.5 GHz 12" PowerBook to be... less than a satisfactory experience for web browsing, even compared to my eMac. It's usable, but frustrating much of the time. I can't even imagine what it would be like on a TiBook. What kind of things has your son been using that TiBook for?
His is the Titanium DVI. 1.0Ghz. It's got 1GB ram.

He doesn't really browse the internet with it, he mainly uses it for SNES emulators to play Super Mario Brothers and such. He has one of our Wiimotes paired via bluetooth so he uses that as a controller.

Right now I'm not too motivated to apply my tweaks to T4Fx for him as the sloweness of the internet keeps him focused on whatever task he's set to do versus browsing places he shouldn't be.

He was also using it for schoolwork but he got into the STEAM (Science/Technology/Engineering/Arts/Mathematics) program this year and they issued HP laptops so he uses that for schoolwork. That'll be going back to the program for summer next week however. So, I guess a good time for a new PB for him.

All of that said, his TiBook (when working properly) is a rocket on Leopard. It's got that processor cache that the AlBooks do not have and it makes everything pretty fast.

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
Nice unit. It looks like the one I picked up in February (less the screen issue). In fact I'm sitting on our deck with a cup of coffee typing on it now :).

photo.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Looking through pics on FB…

My son's first Mac.

Traded to @RedCroissant as part of the deal for my Quicksilver. One of you out there has this Mac.

18968_106107336072961_5617486_n.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Mac is here.

Decent little Mac for $40.

It has the lower ram slot failure, which is why I guess it was discarded. But it's a step up for my son and he still has 1GB ram. The backlit keyboard makes him happy and so does the fact that it's got onboard Airport Extreme and Bluetooth.

And the big plus for him is he can now close the lid to sleep the Mac instead of putting the Mac to sleep first and then closing the lid.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Mac is here.

Decent little Mac for $40.

It has the lower ram slot failure, which is why I guess it was discarded. But it's a step up for my son and he still has 1GB ram. The backlit keyboard makes him happy and so does the fact that it's got onboard Airport Extreme and Bluetooth.

And the big plus for him is he can now close the lid to sleep the Mac instead of putting the Mac to sleep first and then closing the lid.
would a reflow work?

I'm glad he is getting an upgrade! AirPort Extreme is much better, modern security FTW. His emulators should see a speed increase too. Not to mention, batteries can be found easier!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
would a reflow work?
No idea and I'm not going to try. It would require complete dissembly of the Mac, quite possibly my ruining the logicboard, and even if I did it right no guarantee it would work.

He just wants to use the Mac and 1GB isn't going to kill him as it was the max his TiBook could hold anyway.

Just not worth it for a $45 buy.

I'm glad he is getting an upgrade! AirPort Extreme is much better, modern security FTW. His emulators should see a speed increase too. Not to mention, batteries can be found easier!

Well, he was already getting Airport Extreme with that PC card I bought him and it worked the same as native. But, he doesn't have to pull the card in and out now when he packs his Mac up in his bag.

As to batteries…well…his TiBook is superior in that regard. The new PB came with two dead batteries. Maybe enough to hold the time/date during sleep but not enough to do anything with.

Unfortunately, not another investment I plan to for this purchase. Not when power sockets are freely available wherever he is. Same reason I've never replaced the battery on my own PowerBook.

That said, thanks for the advice and suggestions. The payoff is that he is really happy with it so far.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
No idea and I'm not going to try. It would require complete dissembly of the Mac, quite possibly my ruining the logicboard, and even if I did it right no guarantee it would work.

He just wants to use the Mac and 1GB isn't going to kill him as it was the max his TiBook could hold anyway.

Just not worth it for a $45 buy.

Well, he was already getting Airport Extreme with that PC card I bought him and it worked the same as native. But, he doesn't have to pull the card in and out now when he packs his Mac up in his bag.

As to batteries…well…his TiBook is superior in that regard. The new PB came with two dead batteries. Maybe enough to hold the time/date during sleep but not enough to do anything with.

Unfortunately, not another investment I plan to for this purchase. Not when power sockets are freely available wherever he is. Same reason I've never replaced the battery on my own PowerBook.

That said, thanks for the advice and suggestions. The payoff is that he is really happy with it so far.
Perfect!! I remember the first laptop I received from my father. A $200 TigerDirect HP DV2000. Died in two years, but still, was a very awesome gift.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.