Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
The release is now available to those that preordered the software. I would imagine it will available for purchase to the general public within the next few days.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
Cool. I recently re-installed my version of 2018 (apparently freely updated too...). I've been using it for the last few weeks. Surprisingly, it works very well. Much better than the first versions of Photo Raw. That crap is what pushed me out of the ON1 programs.

I'll wait a while and see how it holds up before I think of upgrading.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I understand. I left at 2017 for a variety of product reasons. But I am back for 2019. Layers are now integrated and non-destructive. So there are really just two modules now....Browse and Edit. Edit covers what used to be Develop, Effects, and Layers.

I have not yet tried the Lr migration tool.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I understand. I left at 2017 for a variety of product reasons. But I am back for 2019. Layers are now integrated and non-destructive. So there are really just two modules now....Browse and Edit. Edit covers what used to be Develop, Effects, and Layers.

I have not yet tried the Lr migration tool.
Are you still using Lightroom? I'm anxious to hear what you think of Photo Raw 2019.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Are you still using Lightroom? I'm anxious to hear what you think of Photo Raw 2019.

For me it is a major improvement over the 2017 version. So I stopped my CC annual plan from renewing at the end of this month. Being able to do global edits, local edits, with masks and layers in one non-destructive app is what I wanted. The app seems to have enough what I want to give it a go.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Just installed. Seems very quick compared to Lightroom.

Will be doing some edits of some Fuji RAW files to see what it can do :)
[doublepost=1542294220][/doublepost]OK so there's a massive difference between between these 2 apps.

First most obvious thing is the Fujifilm simulations. Both photos imported/untouched except for selecting the Classic Chrome simulation. Miles apart.

Untouched:

oD9zWT2.png

Classic Chrome applied:

5V5lbyv.png

Last edited:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I almost feel like just picking up On1 Photo RAW 2019 now. I have Luminar but haven't used it since i'd prefer working on edits from within a DAM. and as of yet Luminar/Skylum is holding back on details.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If coming from LR be aware :
  • you can not add a camera profile (ie DCP)
  • you do not have the full set of tokens such as in Lr to automatically name folders on import
  • you do not have the full set of tokens such as in Lr to automatically rename images on import

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
If you shoot Sony or Fuji, look at the special package pricing of C1P.
While I have C1P for Sony, that also is the major limitation but probably not worth the full C1P version as you gain more by having two programs for less than the full C1P. The issue is what to do when re-working the years worth non-sony photos you have, and currently if you scan a print/slide to jpg which would reflect no camera. To resolve this, using Affinity Photo but On1 Photo looks tempting particularly when eligible for upgrade pricing. I tried it several years ago when seen as a disaster but appears to have matured significantly.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
None I ever heard of. But always ask On1 about very specific features you do not see listed in their marketing materials.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
If you shoot Sony or Fuji, look at the special package pricing of C1P.
Just tried the free Fuji - a lot of missing features. So not for me. Shame I like the output (did last time I used it) but still get that confused feeling when trying it out this time. At least I did not have to try and understand referenced versus imported. ;-)

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
So, on my new Mac mini 2018: I loaded up the ON1 Photo Raw 2018.5 and ran my workflow with about 75 raw photos. They all processed fine. Results were great for my needs. On Black Friday - I thought I'd see if I could get a deal for the 2019 upgrade. $79 for an upgrade. Okay then....

ON1 Photo Raw 2019 is 'better' than the previous version in my experience. Not having to switch screens between Browse and Edit is welcome. Overall, the interface seems smoother. I have since processed about 200 raw photos through ON1. Exporting jpg's at hi quality will certainly make the fans run at full tilt. The temps rose to over 200 degrees (F), but quickly cooled down once the export was done.

PB243360-XL.jpg

PB103190-XL.jpg

PB243395-XL.jpg

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I'd planned to resist the upgrade to 2019 from 2018, but when they offered me a $10 off deal ($69), I broke down and got it. I've only played with it a little (primarily sorting through my RAW photos and experimenting with processing some of them), but so far it seems fine.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
What's the consensus so far? I've worked with it some and am so far quite impressed. I watched their moving from Lightroom webinar and appears that they've done a very good job with the migration tool.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
It works. It is more of a fast browser than an organizer, but the edits are useful. So you could copy images to a working directory, edit, and export to bring into your DAM solution.

I like one app to handle things like HDR merge, basic edits, and so on. I REALLY like that all layers have full RAW processing available to them. There are still things I like about Luminar, and still, nothing beats Photos for pure speed.The Luminar upgrade has been promised before Christmas. Capture 1 still looks tempting.

My "one App to rule them all" dream seams to be in no danger of taking over Middle Earth.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I like it well enough to move off Adobe. Evidently we will be getting "blend if" and DCP files for our cameras, maybe by the end of 2019. ;)

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
My "one App to rule them all" dream seams to be in no danger of taking over Middle Earth.

Agree. Pic & Mix has always been the best solution from my perspective.

Simple Organisation - that I understand
FAST RAW HANDLING & DEVELOPMENT - obviously to my taste & camera output..
All the editing bits - that I want & use.
Preset Exporting to selected recipients - that I use.
Oh and all from software I have already spent £k on acquiring previously ;)

Wish On.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::(

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Speaking of Middle Earth.....

For me Photo Raw finally hit critical mass with integrated layers, focus stacking...etc. I think we will see "blend if" and the move from ICC to DCP camera profiles in the next year or so. Using DCPs means we could import the DPC files from other sources or make them using ColorChecker Passport.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
For me Photo Raw finally hit critical mass with integrated layers, focus stacking...etc. I think we will see "blend if" and the move from ICC to DCP camera profiles in the next year or so. Using DCPs means we could import the DPC files from other sources or make them using ColorChecker Passport.

As per normal!

I have 'mostly' no idea what you are saying but I defend your right to say it - whatever it means ;):p

Reactions: Ray2

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
necro-ing this thread. I'm trying out 2019.5, and I'm so far impressed. I'm using their tool to export my metadata/edits and I'll see how that is. I've been reading/watching reviews and the consensus for 2019 is that its coming close to the functionality of LR and is a worthy contender as a replacement. The price is hard to beat and being a perpetual license, I feel of all products I've tried its the closest to give me most of what I want.

I do like C1 and it does the best with its RAW processing, but the price is high, as is the cost of upgrades. I did the math a while ago and upgrading every third version was around the cost of the adobe subscription so it didn't make much sense. With On1, the cost is much lower and I don't have to upgrade annually. I actually bought the license in 2017 and now using it for the realsies it will only cost me 64 dollars.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
necro-ing this thread. I'm trying out 2019.5, and I'm so far impressed. I'm using their tool to export my metadata/edits and I'll see how that is. I've been reading/watching reviews and the consensus for 2019 is that its coming close to the functionality of LR and is a worthy contender as a replacement. The price is hard to beat and being a perpetual license, I feel of all products I've tried its the closest to give me most of what I want.

I do like C1 and it does the best with its RAW processing, but the price is high, as is the cost of upgrades. I did the math a while ago and upgrading every third version was around the cost of the adobe subscription so it didn't make much sense. With On1, the cost is much lower and I don't have to upgrade annually. I actually bought the license in 2017 and now using it for the realsies it will only cost me 64 dollars.
I agree with everything you said. It's really quite a bargain considering all that it does.

Reactions: maflynn

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
On the other hand, Phase one just emailed me a coupon for 50% off of c1 12 (perpetual, rental, or upgrade), so check your mailbox for that.

The upgrade is said to be unique and tied to my email, and I certainly used it, or I would share.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.