Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
So I guess this is a tip for anyone needing single user mode, you may need to use OEM wired Apple USB keyboard to do it.

Good to know. However, I've used OC to access single user mode a few times, and it has worked fine with an Apple Magic Keyboard.

I've noticed at times recently when I boot into recovery or backup partitions my wireless keyboard and mouse don't work, even if I plug them in to attempt a re-pair. I have to keep the keyboard plugged in and rely entirely on keyboard shortcuts to get around. I thought this was an issue with my cMP or the partitions themselves, but it sounds like it might be an OpenCore issue?

I've experienced this too, but I think even before OC.

octoviaa

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
Yes I did, which is what @vit9696 posted about and had confirmed it.

The output of binwalk after booting 7 times into Windows 10 UEFI. The cert was previously added on the first boot into Windows 10.

View attachment 893788
Thank you @w1z for testing and @vit9696 for improving OC to become an excellent boot-loader for us.
Just to confirm, so I need to set 'ProtectSecureBoot' to true (default false) right?

Cmp4life

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2020
Yes, see my post #1139 above this one. Also, my OEM apple GPU also distorts the screen badly, but its good enough to read for diagnostics.

- Yes I have a super distorted screen with old Apple EFI GPU, and yes I have a super distorted screen as well.
Yes, I did it last night at midnight and then when right to bed, planning on updating this thread in the AM:). After a lot of hiccups (figuring out how to flash the card, then the flashed card not booting at all into win or Mac.... finally got it though). After the flashing of the card, it does indeed now show the bootpicker menu!

For others having the same issue, the video I watched to flash was:

And the rom I used was this one:

This ROM was the oldest one I found on that site from 2017-03-10 compile date. I had first tried the newest one from 2018-07-19 compile date and it would not boot into win or Mac. So I had to boot using a second GPU, with the RX580 still installed, and then reflash the RX580 with the older rom. I don't know if that was really the issue (rom compile date), but I'm happy now.

I have some other issues now related to HW acceleration, but I will ask them later.
[automerge]1581521085[/automerge]

Yes, see my post #1139 above this one. Also, my OEM apple GPU also distorts the screen badly, but its good enough to read for diagnostics.

Thanks Nich.
1) My Win10 is all good now after several reboots. I have now 2 separate ssd for each OS.

2) My RX580 Sapphire Pulse 8GB I was able to restore 2018 BIOS, 2017 BIOS worked for me as well.

Specifically I am using this ROM: Sapphire.RX580.8192.170324.rom
Specifically the monitor I am using: LG 34 21:9 UltraWide® QHD IPS Curved LED Monitor
(I did not specific OC to use retina screen settings btw)

3) But I have no Boot screen still. Something wrong with my card?

I also believe prior user used this card for mining. Would a brand new card solve my Boot screen picker?

Thanks
David

Last edited:

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Hey guys.

So I'm coming over from the Activate HEVC Encoding thread but the issue I'm running into is with OpenCore booting into macOS.

I'm able to go through all the steps of getting OpenCore onto my EFI partition and when selecting which drive to boot into it boots into macOS just fine on my HDD. But when trying to load macOS from my SSD or from a NVME drive it hangs on the Apple logo but the loading bar never comes. I am able to boot into Recovery with OpenCore where I change my Startup Disk to boot normally.

I am a complete noob with this and couldn't figure out a way to generate a log file so someone could help diagnose my issue. Any help is appreciated.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Hey guys.

So I'm coming over from the Activate HEVC Encoding thread but the issue I'm running into is with OpenCore booting into macOS.

I'm able to go through all the steps of getting OpenCore onto my EFI partition and when selecting which drive to boot into it boots into macOS just fine on my HDD. But when trying to load macOS from my SSD or from a NVME drive it hangs on the Apple logo but the loading bar never comes. I am able to boot into Recovery with OpenCore where I change my Startup Disk to boot normally.

I am a complete noob with this and couldn't figure out a way to generate a log file so someone could help diagnose my issue. Any help is appreciated.
try this EFI folder

Attachments

• REL-057-2020-04-04.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 521
  • DBG-057-2020-04-05.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 438

Nick_P

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2020
try this EFI folder

Woah! This fixed it for me!

I had all the instructions from this thread working last night, but when I tried to get HW acceleration to work, I could not get hw acceleration to work by putting in the two kexts from the other thread. It put my machine into a boot loop of 10.15. The only way I could get out of it was repeatedly pressing #3 to boot into 10.14.

Replacing my entire EFI folder with this one fixed everything. I have the bootpicker (with many more options than before), and HW acceleration works now. The 400 Mbps jellyfish file uses about 15-20% CPU, instead of 800%, and plays flawlessly. I did lose the white screen after the bootpicker, and now its a bunch of white text on a black screen. But I kind of like that;)

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Woah! This fixed it for me!

I had all the instructions from this thread working last night, but when I tried to get HW acceleration to work, I could not get hw acceleration to work by putting in the two kexts from the other thread. It put my machine into a boot loop of 10.15. The only way I could get out of it was repeatedly pressing #3 to boot into 10.14.

Replacing my entire EFI folder with this one fixed everything. I have the bootpicker (with many more options than before), and HW acceleration works now. The 400 Mbps jellyfish file uses about 15-20% CPU, instead of 800%, and plays flawlessly. I did lose the white screen after the bootpicker, and now its a bunch of white text on a black screen. But I kind of like that;)
Glad to here it helped you. I just fixed the configuration and reattached the EFI because HibernationFixup.kext was loaded twice. If you want to remove verbose booting you need to remove the "-v" flag from the NVRAM boot-args.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Glad to here it helped you. I just fixed the configuration and reattached the EFI because HibernationFixup.kext was loaded twice. If you want to remove verbose booting you need to remove the "-v" flag from the NVRAM boot-args.

Thanks for the quick response!

Unfortunately I ran into this error.

Attachments

• C17D3C75-5A7B-4B0D-902F-36CB6701E284.jpeg
    C17D3C75-5A7B-4B0D-902F-36CB6701E284.jpeg
    695.1 KB · Views: 295

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
You have another Lilu in the System 1.3.9. Most probably in /L/E/. you have to remove it from there.

Oh my god. All this time I think this is what was screwing me up!

Thank you!!!!

Last question: What setting should I change in the config file to stop OpenCore from writing logs to the EFI folder?

Nick_P

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2020
Question on Windows, I know its been discussed a bit the past couple weeks on this thread, but things are changing daily;)

I had installed it in legacy mode with a physical DVD a few weeks back. Now with open core, it does not boot unless I pull all the Mac drives.

Do I need to wipe the Win drive and install it with some other method? Its no problem, I've wiped all the drives a bunch of times in the past few weeks:)

This is a brand new to me machine that I want to get running well before I move my files over to it.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Question on Windows, I know its been discussed a bit the past couple weeks on this thread, but things are changing daily;)

I had installed it in legacy mode with a physical DVD a few weeks back. Now with open core, it does not boot unless I pull all the Mac drives.

Do I need to wipe the Win drive and install it with some other method? Its no problem, I've wiped all the drives a bunch of times in the past few weeks:)

This is a brand new to me machine that I want to get running well before I move my files over to it.
With Latest OC you don't need Windows in Legacy mode. Convert it to UEFI or reinstall. Use the config file in https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814/post-28213385
as an example and modify it to your needs.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
I searched the thread and it's not really clear. Bottom line: Can I have a Catalina install with FileVault enabled using OpenCore?

Yes I have it enabled and it’s working great for me. It also depends on whether you are able to see the Apple logo boot screen. If you can’t see the boot screen then don’t enable it.

Reactions: Ludacrisvp

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
Thank you @w1z for testing and @vit9696 for improving OC to become an excellent boot-loader for us.
Just to confirm, so I need to set 'ProtectSecureBoot' to true (default false) right?

Correct. I re-flashed a clean reconstructed bootrom to ensure old certs are wiped then enabled the setting before rebooting into either macOS or Windows.

astonius86

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2017
Mt Juliet, TN
Still working on setting Windows 10 in Startup Disk. I made a little progress. Before I wasn't seeing Windows at all in the disk list. I discovered it is because I had SIP enabled. Once I disabled SIP it started to appear again. Is this expected behavior? Can an OC tweak make Windows appear in Startup Disk without disabling SIP?

Unfortunately even though it appears I get this message when I select Windows as the new startup disk.

View attachment 893639

Any one have any ideas on this?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
"Can an OC tweak make Windows appear in Startup Disk without disabling SIP? "
Any one have any ideas on this?
No. But you can try disabling SIP in OC in the NVRAM section. You have to add and block csr-active:
Code:
<key>csr-active-config</key>
<data>
dwAAAA==
</data>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>Block</key>
<dict>
</array>
<key>7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>
<array>
<string>csr-active-config</string>
</array>
</dict>
See if that works for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: astonius86

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Ok. So here is a short tutorial on how to get a full blown boot picker through refind from OC boot picker.

1. Download the "Next loader" fork of Refind.
2. Attach a USB drive to the machine.
3. Open Terminal and type :
Code:
sudo -s
4. Drag and drop the "install.sh" from "~/next-loader-master/build/install.sh" in terminal and press enter.
5. Follow the prompts.
6. How do you want to install: Option 1 Install/Uninstall Next Loader.
7. How do you want to install Next Loader? Select option 2 "Install as the default boot manager".
8. Select the partition where you want to install Next Loader. Select the USB drive by typing its name as found by next loader:
View attachment 893109
9. Let it do its work. Don't select the reboot option just finish (option F).
10. Re-bless OC. You need to mount the EFI partition where OC sits and issue the bless command:
Code:
sudo bless --mount /Volumes/EFI --setBoot --file /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi --verbose
10. Reboot. At OC boot menu you will see the option "UEFI Boot Manager- (external)":

View attachment 893111
11. After selection you may see this screen:
View attachment 893112
12. Hit Any key to continue:
View attachment 893114
13. On the Left side the 2 entries are for EFI boot. One of them is my WIN10 EFI boot, which works. On the right side one of the other entries is the WIN 10 Legacy boot (for the same drive). For me that entry fails because my Windows is installed in UEFI mode. There are some installations like the "Windows To Go" installs where both entries should work and some where only Legacy will work. This fork worked for me before in blind selection it never connected the GOP driver to the screen though. Thanks to OC now the GOP driver works perfectly as you can see thanks to @vit9696 for OC and @abdyfranco for the Next Loader.
I just did this, and proved can work with my legacy Windows 10.

Even though the UI of Next Loader is seriously distorted in my case (non flash Radeon VII), but I can still read the text, use arrow key to locate the Boot legacy Windows option, and boot into it flawlessly.

Even this solution is not ideal yet, especially the Next Loader UI is really distorted. But everything works, this is the most important.

vit9696

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
To keep this thread updated with the changes and clarifications:

— OpenCore from master supports Radeon VII with DirectGopRendering option (more or less at least).
— Distorted grey background behind OpenCore Boot Picker is fixed. Note, that black background has slightly better performance than any other. Some improvements may come from https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/707 some day.
— FileVault 2 works fine. Note, that UIScale variable and Scale configuration option are independent ways to control macOS UI scaling and UEFI text scaling.
— AppleBootPolicy=YES resulting in slightly lower performance is expected, and this is the correct behaviour of working driver when gathering recovery information (i.e. it will be the same with a driver from MBP). The situation will improve when https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/693 is implemented. Do not disable it if you do not want to get broken booting eventually.
— Windows in CSM mode is not supported and will never be in OpenCore. You are using it at your own risk, and are strongly encouraged to migrate to UEFI installation now that the certificate problem is resolved. Chainloading rEFIt-based bootloaders or any other "GUIs" is also strongly not recommended as they add extra delays, introduce various sorts of bugs, and in general are not compatible with OpenCore.
— Paragon NTFS, Tuxera NTFS, and all other similar applications break boot disk preference panel in macOS (this is documented in Configuration.pdf). It is recommended to use read only builtin driver for NTFS.
— Installing unsigned kexts (especially Lilu and its plugins) to /Library/Extensions is an unsupported and basically untested configuration (at least for our kexts), better use OpenCore for this and leave SIP untouched.
— The use of VMM flag results in disabled CPU power management, which you will unlikely be able to easily mitigate. In my opinion, it is better to replace the model and solve other issues, but you are mostly on your own resolving issues there.
— Making disk drives internal can and should (this is how Apple does it) be done by adding built-in <00> DeviceProperty in OpenCore config.plist. You can use gfxutil to print device paths.

roobarb!

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
— Making disk drives internal can and should (this is how Apple does it) be done by adding built-in <00> DeviceProperty in OpenCore config.plist. You can use gfxutil to print device paths.
Could you / someone give an example of how to do this and whether it's a better approach than injecting Innie.kext using OC?

Last edited:

astonius86

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2017
Mt Juliet, TN
No. But you can try disabling SIP in OC in the NVRAM section. You have to add and block csr-active:
Code:
<key>csr-active-config</key>
<data>
dwAAAA==
</data>
</dict>
</dict>
<key>Block</key>
<dict>
</array>
<key>7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>
<array>
<string>csr-active-config</string>
</array>
</dict>
See if that works for you.

Perfect! Fixed my bless issue as well, thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.