Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Java_Web-165-150x109.png

Oracle today announced the release of several new Java software packages, including the new Java SE 7 Update 6 that brings full support for Java SE 7 to OS X for the first time. The release follows launch of Java development kits for OS X back in April.
- With this release, Oracle is providing full availability of Java SE 7 Update 6 on Mac OS X, including the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and the Java Development Kit (JDK), as well as the JavaFX 2.2 rich client platform and JavaFX Scene Builder.

- Consumers will soon be able to download the JRE for Mac OS X from Java.com, just as they do for all other operating systems, and Oracle will provide auto-updates for Mac OS X at the same time as for Windows platforms.
java_se_7_update_6_versions.jpg

Apple announced in October 2010 that it was discontinuing its support for Java, with Steve Jobs noting that having Apple responsible for updates generally resulted in Java for OS X being one version behind Java for other platforms. Jobs noted that that "may not be the best way to do it", and his belief was proven true earlier this year after the Flashback malware was able to infect 600,000 Macs by taking advantage of a Java vulnerability that had already been patched in most versions of Java but not yet addressed by Apple.

Apple has continued to maintain Java SE 6 while contributing resources to the OpenJDK project to help Oracle and other developers build and maintain Java SE 7 and future versions. Notably, Apple's latest update to Java SE 6 came in sync with Oracle's updates for other platforms, indicating that Apple is working closely with Oracle to make sure Mac users are protected with up-to-date versions of Java on their systems.

Article Link: Oracle Officially Launches Java SE 7 for OS X

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
Does this version support the Swing API? I remember from a long time ago there being something about how version 7 didn't yet support Swing, but if this is an official release...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Yay! I've been anxiously awaiting this day. Sure, Java SE may not be as useful as it once was, to BRLawyer's point - especially when it comes to Java applets, which are barely used anymore. For those who still use Java, or develop with it like I do, this release is welcomed as it fixes the most annoying bugs since 7u4 and 7u5.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Is there a way to completely remove earlier Java versions once 7 gets installed or do they all just work together.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Does this version support the Swing API? I remember from a long time ago there being something about how version 7 didn't yet support Swing, but if this is an official release...

http://openjdk.java.net/ seems to be the place to go for info. It does appear to support the Swing API.

Java.com tells me to download from Apple.. so WTF? :confused:

Same here. Here's a quote that may explain it though:

Consumers will soon be able to download the JRE for Mac OS X from Java.com, just as they do for all other operating systems, and Oracle will provide auto-updates for Mac OS X at the same time as for Windows platforms.

They keyword is "soon". Define that how you wish. :p

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
The only reason I've had for installing Java is that it's required to run some Adobe design apps.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Is there a way to completely remove earlier Java versions once 7 gets installed or do they all just work together.

I've actually had this installed for quite awhile before this announcement. I'm not sure why they're announcing it now, but whatever. A screenshot of my current Java setup is attached. They work fine together. The version provided by Oracle is 64-bit only, and isn't 100% compatible with apps designed for the old Java provided by Apple, so it doesn't overwrite it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-14 at 3.57.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-14 at 3.57.23 PM.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 664

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
...A screenshot of my current Java setup is attached. They work fine together. The version provided by Oracle is 64-bit only, and isn't 100% compatible with apps designed for the old Java provided by Apple, so it doesn't overwrite it.

You definitely don't want to necessarily remove Java 6. Most apps are still written against Java 6 as it is much more mature than Java 7.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Why was Apple making their own Java in the first place? The whole point of Java was "compile once for every device", yet Java 7 was not available on Mac OS. This was rarely a problem, but it was extremely annoying when it was.

----------

I'm guessing you don't play minecraft :D

Only a very few Minecraft server plugins need Java 7. Minecraft itself does not. I find it horrifying that Minecraft is made in Java, and it's terribly slow and buggy.

----------

I'm glad that Apple stopped making Java because, well, they sucked at it. Seriously, no Java SE 6 for 32-bit processors or PPC?

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
I am running OSX 10.8
Pardon the dumb questions.
I downloaded and installed the JRE 7 from the above site.
When I open the >Utilities>Java Preferences.app it only shows Java SE 6 installed.

Have I done something wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-14 at 4.04.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-14 at 4.04.23 PM.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 234

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Why was Apple making their own Java in the first place? The whole point of Java was "compile once for every device", yet Java 7 was not available on Mac OS. This was rarely a problem, but it was extremely annoying when it was.

The Java Virtual Machine (JVM) needs to be created for EACH AND EVERY MACHINE that Java runs on.

This is the big deal.

When a Java command like 'open message box' (JDialogBox) is run, then the Mac, or any machine Java is on needs to understand how to do this and translate the Java command to a system command (Cocoa). Previously, Apple was creating this code, now Oracle is.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The Java Virtual Machine (JVM) needs to be created for EACH AND EVERY MACHINE that Java runs on.

This is the big deal.

When a Java command like 'open message box' (JDialogBox) is run, then the Mac, or any machine Java is on needs to understand how to do this.

Yes, I understand. And for some reason, Java SE 7 was never created for Mac OS until now. Why?? Also, despite it being a virtual machine, the host OS actually sometimes matters.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Well, when I try to install it:
Screen%20shot%202012-08-14%20at%201.12.15%20PM.PNG

okay-face.jpg

Alter the package so it installs in 10.6.x anyway?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Yes, I understand. And for some reason, Java SE 7 was never created for Mac OS until now. Why?

It takes time to develop code. Apple wasn't number 1 on Oracle's list for implementing the JVM, or they didn't have enough Apple OS X developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.