Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
Hi,
Im going to order a 2.4 15" Macbook Pro (matte screen, standard specs), and I was wondering if anyone could help me with tips on where to purchase that would have a more lenient return policy. Im not looking to abuse any stores policies, but I just want to avoid any headaches if I were to receive a Macbook with yellow screen issues, dead pixels, etc. I was going to use amazon.com, but theyre showing a ship date of Sept 1 and I really need it before then for work.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help in advance!

Zel

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Apple technical support should be the same from any vendor.

niele

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
hawaii
Be careful, make sure you ask before buying. A guy I know went to macmall and bought the 17" sr mbp w/ the high def screen. Got it and realized the HD was a bit too much; way too small on screen and you can't adjust size without it looking like ****. Called macmall up and was told that they do not take returns of Apple products for any reason, you need to contact Apple for any issues after purchasing. I called Apple to ask about that and was told if he had bought from Apple he could of returned it within 14 days for any reason (with/without restocking charge) but since he purchased from macmall, no can do. sucks! That's why I always buy direct from Apple.:p

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I have returned numerous (maybe 7-8) MBPS to amazon.com without a hitch. The problems I had ranged from uneven illumination of the display and CPU whines to bulging and warped aluminum. They are simply great and even pay for return shipping. Highly recommended!

niele

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
hawaii
I have returned numerous (maybe 7-8) MBPS to amazon.com without a hitch. The problems I had ranged from uneven illumination of the display and CPU whines to bulging and warped aluminum. They are simply great and even pay for return shipping. Highly recommended!

Wow, great deal. Thanks for the info. Ok, so now either apple direct or amazon. :)

crlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
hey PDE,
Can you shoot me a quick email? i got my MBP from Amazon on friday and it has 2 dead pixels in the middle of the dang screen! i do a lot of video editing and that is simply not gonna fly. i would like to get your expertise on how i should handle this to insure a successful return. Thanks!

crlong@gmail.com

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
i got my MBP from Amazon on friday and it has 2 dead pixels in the middle of the dang screen! i would like to get your expertise on how i should handle this to insure a successful return.
Bummer. But Amazon is pretty good about returns. Just click on Return Item (within your account) and follow the instructions. Easy stuff.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Except for the fact you had to return like 7 computers....

Well, that's hardly Amazon's fault, is it?

As for returning your MBP with dead pixels: just go to their returns center and follow the instructions. As a reason for returning, remember to choose the option that the item is defective and write something short about the dead pixels. Is anything else wrong with it? If so, list that too. I usually put a note in the box too with an explanation as to why I'm returning the item.

Also: are you going to ask for a replacement or a refund?

Other than that, there's really nothing you need to do except wait. For some reason sometimes UPS is not an option and they will give you a USPS sticker. DON'T USE USPS to send it back because it will take for ages and there is not way to track it. Just send it with UPS, pay for it yourself and write amazon a note telling them how much it cost you so they can reimburse you.

Good luck! I've never ever had a problem, but I've also never sent a computer back for some dead pixels. I doubt you'll have any problem though.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
Does Amazon ever charge the 15% re-stocking fee for opened computers that they mention in their return policy?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I think that if there is nothing wrong with it and you've opened it up they'll charge the fee. But if there is a defect - any defect - they won't. I've never been charged a restocking fee, but there's always been something wrong with my apple laptops so they wouldn't charge anyway...

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Does Amazon ever charge the 15% re-stocking fee for opened computers that they mention in their return policy?
I recently bought and returned a Macbook Pro to Amazon.com. The return label that I had to print said that they WOULD charge the 15% if the box had been opened.

Luckily I never opened the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.