Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

OWC, a well-known maker of storage solutions for Macs and PCs, today debuted what it says is "the fastest USB-C SSD ever."

owc-envoy-pro-ex-usb-c-800x402.jpeg

The new OWC Envoy Pro EX with USB-C is a bus-powered NVMe M.2 SSD with transfer speeds up to 980MB/s, one bay with up to 2TB of storage, and Thunderbolt 3 compatibility on both Macs and PCs. The external drive has a silver anodized aluminum housing with IP67-rated water and dust resistance.

Regular pricing is as follows: Enclosure alone: $89.99
250GB SSD: $129.99
500GB SSD: $179.99
1TB SSD: $249.99
2TB SSD: $429.99The new OWC Envoy Pro EX with USB-C is available now at MacSales.com.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with OWC. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: OWC Debuts 'Fastest USB-C SSD Ever' With Up to 2TB of Storage

Reactions: mudflap

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA
I was thinking about getting a t5 to replace my current external.......but this is way cheaper than I expected.

Edit: never mind I forgot reading comprehension. Still just usb 3.1 gen 2, thunderbolt is just for a spec sheet.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I was thinking about getting a t5 to replace my current external.......but this is way cheaper than I expected.

Edit: never mind I forgot reading comprehension. Still just usb 3.1 gen 2, thunderbolt is just for a spec sheet.

Most likely because it's TLC instead of MLC, SLC is even much more expensive.

I for one would not touch TLC.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
There are a bunch of competing NVMe enclosures available for a fraction of the cost of this one. Here’s one for $29:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MNFH1PX

OWC makes great products though, I’m sure their $90 one is very well built and backed by a reliable warranty. I’ve got one of their old Mercury Elite Pro 3.5” enclosures on my desk.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderSkunk

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
This OWC product doesn't really state what USB version it supports. The USB-C version (denotes the connector only) supports Thunderbolt 3. Does TB3 contain some version of USB 3.1 on top of TB3 speeds?

I would think for a TB3 product and a NVMe SSD, they would be able to push more than 980MB/s out a TB3 port.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
This OWC product doesn't really state what USB version it supports. The USB-C version (denotes the connector only) supports Thunderbolt 3. Does TB3 contain some version of USB 3.1 on top of TB3 speeds?

I would think for a TB3 product and a NVMe SSD, they would be able to push more than 980MB/s out a TB3 port.

1) it literally does state that on the linked website, in the specs. USB 3.1 gen 2.

2) it isn't actually a Thunderbolt 3 product. I'm not sure what "Thunderbolt 3" compatibility really means beyond being able to plug it in without enjoying the full speeds. it's like a USB mouse advertising USB 3.0 compatibility.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018

These NVMe enclosures are always capped at these speeds when they’re USB 3.1 gen 2. This one is clearly not TB3.

Reactions: ThunderSkunk

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Reactions: pallymore

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
1) it literally does state that on the linked website, in the specs. USB 3.1 gen 2.

2) it isn't actually a Thunderbolt 3 product. I'm not sure what "Thunderbolt 3" compatibility really means beyond being able to plug it in without enjoying the full speeds. it's like a USB mouse advertising USB 3.0 compatibility.

I went to the macsales.com website and clicked on the front page link for this product and it takes me to a page for the product that literally does NOT show what USB speeds the TB3 version supports.

The page DOES SAY there are two versions of the product...a TB3 version and a USB version.

This product clearly is NOT a Thunderbolt 3 device.

Reactions: onespeedvelo

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I went to the macsales.com website and clicked on the front page link for this product and it takes me to a page for the product that literally does NOT show what USB speeds the TB3 version supports.

Do you get upset that Apple doesn't list cellular bands for wifi + cellular ipads on this page - https://www.apple.com/ipad/ - too? It's not rocket science to find.

The page DOES SAY there are two versions of the product...a TB3 version and a USB version.

It does say there are two versions. It does not say there is a TB3 version and a USB version. Look again at the page you linked. [edit: depending on your point of view it either says there are two USB versions - the ones on this page, side by side - or three versions total, a TB3 version and two USB ones]

This product clearly is NOT a Thunderbolt 3 device.

Well yeah, i already said that in the post you replied to. Odd choice of capitals.

Last edited:

onespeedvelo

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
It does not make sense. Why claim to be the fastest USB 3.1 drive? USB 3.1 is good for compatibility but it is a bottleneck since many NVMe SSD's are faster.
I am still looking for a Thunderbolt enclosure, not a USB-C enclosure..
Now looking at the page instead for their
2.0TB OWC Envoy Pro EX with Thunderbolt 3 - Rugged High-Performance Ultra-Compact External SSD
which has the same price for more than twice the speed! That is rather what I need!

However that post is already one year old!

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-envoy-pro-ex-thunderbolt-3

Performance

• Up to 2500MB/s
Interface (chipset)
  • Thunderbolt 3 (Intel DSL 6340)
Drive Interface
  • M.2 NVMe (PCIe 3.0)
Max Data Transfer Rate
  • Thunderbolt 3: 40 Gb/s(or 5000 MB/s)
[doublepost=1561480038][/doublepost]
E
I believe the drive ships in the included enclosure doesn't it? It's an external drive, not an internal one being converted.
I think they sell the enclosure alone so you can add your own NVMe M2 drive..

Last edited:
Reactions: embraceware

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
So what is the most reliable external SSD on the market now, please? Is it the Samsung ones, OWC or another one?
I'm thinking to get 1-2TB of SSD storage and was wondering which one to get. I'm looking for one that will not malfunction on me. Anyone has an insight, please?

TommyBoy5

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
I have a T5 and love it. I think it was $83 for 512Gb. Very fast, tiny, reliable.

You can build a similar drive as this new OWC pretty cost-effectively. I've had OWC external SSDs in the past and they always worked and I never had a problem with them.

I wonder how much speed is really required? I can't imagine needing more than this Samsung T5. I guess if you were moving around 40G video files all day between your laptop and the external SSD you could save quite a bit of time. Not my use case, however.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

It does say there are two versions. It does not say there is a TB3 version and a USB version. Look again at the page you linked. [edit: depending on your point of view it either says there are two USB versions - the ones on this page, side by side - or three versions total, a TB3 version and two USB ones]

Maybe they're continually changing the web page, but it looks like there are actually 4 versions all apparently called "Envoy Pro EX":

On the linked page there's a 980MB/s USB-C version (more accurately, a USB-C connector running USB 3.1 gen 2 protocol) alongside a 400MB/s "USB 3" version (more accurately, a USB 3 micro-B connector running USB 3.1 gen 1 which is effectively the same as USB 3.0).

There's also a link saying"Need more speed? Get up to 2800MB/s with Thunderbolt 3!" (i.e. ~28Gbits/s) leading to a page describing two variants (regular and 'video edition') of a full Thunderbolt-3 version.

I'm not sure what "Thunderbolt 3" compatibility really means beyond being able to plug it in without enjoying the full speeds

Obligatory XKCD:
free.png

(Or see TVTropes... for a fuller explanation at the risk of wasting rest of your day)

I.e. It's one of those 100% true statement and 100% misleading statements from the department of redundancy department. All Thunderbolt 3 ports are USB-C connectors that also support USB 3.1 host* mode so pretty much any USB device is 'Thunderbolt 3 (port)" compatible - although most wouldn't quite have the brass neck to apply that to a product that only came with a USB A connector.

* the other way around - connecting a true TB3 peripheral to USB - is more complicated: any dual-protocol USB/TB3 peripheral used to need separate TB3 and USB 3.1 'input' ports, even if they were both USB-C connectors. The latest TB3 controller chips - released - early this year ISTR - potentially allow peripherals with TB3 ports to 'fall back' to USB 3.1 - but only if their innards can cope with both USB 3.1 and PCIe (from TB) protocols. The true TB3 version of this particular drive doesn't support USB 3.

Reactions: Coluch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.