Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksalito56

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Amite, LA
I cannot post on some of my forums, I keep getting a message that there are too many redirects, so Safari can't open the page. I have tried other browsers and get the same error. I have cleared history and cache, but it still doesn't work.

Any idea how to fix this?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Try this...
1) Open Safari
2) From the Safari Menu, choose Preferences
3) Click the Privacy Tab and select Manage Website Data
4) One that populates do one of two things...
5A) Click Remove All
5B) Alternately Select the individual Site(s) you are having trouble with and remove them individually

Hopefully that will solve the issue(s)

ksalito56

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Amite, LA
Try this...
1) Open Safari
2) From the Safari Menu, choose Preferences
3) Click the Privacy Tab and select Manage Website Data
4) One that populates do one of two things...
5A) Click Remove All
5B) Alternately Select the individual Site(s) you are having trouble with and remove them individually

Hopefully that will solve the issue(s)
[doublepost=1491257406][/doublepost]How many times do I have to do this? Every time I remove all, it reloads another list. Have these been building up over the years? I can't get it to completely empty the list.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
They should load alphanumerically in the list 0 through Z. If you are seeing the entire list through Z, I am not sure why they would be coming back again. Maybe change your cookies and website data from "Always Allow" if that is what is checked.

You can block some tracking cookies by installing a Safari extension such as Ghostery, but to be honest I have never had them repopulate. Make sure it is in fact loading through Z before you "remove all."

ksalito56

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Amite, LA
They should load alphanumerically in the list 0 through Z. If you are seeing the entire list through Z, I am not sure why they would be coming back again. Maybe change your cookies and website data from "Always Allow" if that is what is checked.

You can block some tracking cookies by installing a Safari extension such as Ghostery, but to be honest I have never had them repopulate. Make sure it is in fact loading through Z before you "remove all."

They are all there, 0 - Z, I must have a bug in my Safari, because they will not be removed. Even if I remove just one, it pops right back in after it is repopulated. It says loading website data, after they are removed and they all return. The total number is different each time, by about 3 or 4 sites. It shows they ar all databases.

I don't know why I can't get this to work, my AppleCare expired last month, go figure.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
They are all there, 0 - Z, I must have a bug in my Safari, because they will not be removed. Even if I remove just one, it pops right back in after it is repopulated. It says loading website data, after they are removed and they all return. The total number is different each time, by about 3 or 4 sites. It shows they ar all databases.

I don't know why I can't get this to work, my AppleCare expired last month, go figure.

Honestly, I am not really sure. I wonder if some sort of add-on or malware would cause it to re-populate with the same data that was just deleted? I go through mine periodically and delete sites that look like tracking sites or I no longer have a need for, but have never had them re-populate after deletion. Do you have MacKeeper or any other nonsense installed? Do you have any browser add-ons or extensions that might be questionable? Have you run a malware scab with Malwarebytes or the like?

ksalito56

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Amite, LA
Honestly, I am not really sure. I wonder if some sort of add-on or malware would cause it to re-populate with the same data that was just deleted? I go through mine periodically and delete sites that look like tracking sites or I no longer have a need for, but have never had them re-populate after deletion. Do you have MacKeeper or any other nonsense installed? Do you have any browser add-ons or extensions that might be questionable? Have you run a malware scab with Malwarebytes or the like?

I downloaded Malwarebytes, clean scan, emptied cache's and history, turned off all extensions. Still won't clear. I am at a loss.

So something is just in there that I don't know about and don't have enough knowledge to fix. I guess I just have to use the apps for these forums on my iPad. The redirect issue happens on my phone, my iPad and my Mac when I use a web browser. So I am thinking it is probably a website issue for their forums. Others work fine, like this one. No issues with re-directs.

Thanks for your help

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I downloaded Malwarebytes, clean scan, emptied cache's and history, turned off all extensions. Still won't clear. I am at a loss.

So something is just in there that I don't know about and don't have enough knowledge to fix. I guess I just have to use the apps for these forums on my iPad. The redirect issue happens on my phone, my iPad and my Mac when I use a web browser. So I am thinking it is probably a website issue for their forums. Others work fine, like this one. No issues with re-directs.

Thanks for your help

I wish I could help more, but I too am at a loss. I maintain my web data periodically using that method and haven't seen it re-populate on its own in that way.

You could try one of the brower plugins like such as ghostery to see if that helps. Otherwise I am just not sure what else to recommend. Odd that you are experiencing the same on all your devices. Are you connecting to the web using something like Xfinitywifi, or a dedicated provider? I know Xfinitywifi and the like tend to be a bit aggressive, wanting to install their own profiles to your devices and so on. No thanks.

Best of luck to you, wish I had some other advice, but you could try ghostery and remove it if it doesn't help.

ksalito56

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Amite, LA
I use an AT&T hotspot, so I think it must be something to do with that. We are rural and can't get wifi in our house

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.