Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mowpar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
I have a passcode on my iPad. When I use it to sign on at the beginning of my sessions using it, it works just fine. But when I tried to reset the pad to original settings, it would not except this same password number. Now the password count number is seven on trying to revert to original settings. I guess after I mess up three more times this pad will turn useless, any ideas? I went back and used my password number to delete the need for a password number, it accepted this but, still wants a password number to revert it to origiginal settings.

Last edited:

bigbigbob

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
I have a passcode on my iPad. When I use it to sign on at the beginning of my sessions using it, it works just fine. But when I tried to reset the pad to original settings, it would not except this same password number. Now the password count number is seven on trying to revert to original settings. I guess after I mess up three more times this pad will turn useless, any ideas? I went back and used my password number to delete the need for a password number, it accepted this but, still wants a password number to revert it to origiginal settings.
[doublepost=1492387610][/doublepost]It sounds like you have a restrictions passcode setup too. Look in Setting>General and see if restrictions are turned on. If that is the issue, and you don't remember that code, you will need to need a recovery restore through iTunes to do a total reset. Hope this helps

Last edited:

mowpar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
[doublepost=1492387610][/doublepost]It sounds like you have a restrictions passcode setup too. Look in Setting>General and see if restrictions are turned on. If that is the issue, and you don't remember that code, you will need to need a recovery restore through iTunes to do a total reset. Hope this helps
[doublepost=1492391620][/doublepost]I bought this iPad years ago, used, and am thinking this thing might have been a little hot, I would never had known by the price I paid. I don't understand your answer, but I will research it to find out how it is done. Just checked restrictions are on, my pass code did nit work there either, I now have 8 failed attempts.

have 8

Last edited:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
[doublepost=1492391620][/doublepost]have 8
There is a passcode to access your iPad and a completely different restrictions passcode to protect your iPad settings.

I believe Apple choose very poorly in using the same word, 'passcode' for both of these actions, as users are often confused.

If you do not know the restrictions passcode, I fear you are not using your AppleID under iCloud. Attempting to reset your iPad via iTunes will brick your device if you do not know the password for the iCloud account attached.

You should:
  1. Check to see if the current iCloud associated with the iPad is yours and you know the password. Verify, by going to iCloud.com and logging in.
  2. iTunes restore iPad after writing down the iCloud account and password currently attached to the device so that you can regain access when the device restarts.
Good luck.

mowpar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2014
There is a passcode to access your iPad and a completely different restrictions passcode to protect your iPad settings.

I believe Apple choose very poorly in using the same word, 'passcode' for both of these actions, as users are often confused.

If you do not know the restrictions passcode, I fear you are not using your AppleID under iCloud. Attempting to reset your iPad via iTunes will brick your device if you do not know the password for the iCloud account attached.

You should:
  1. Check to see if the current iCloud associated with the iPad is yours and you know the password. Verify, by going to iCloud.com and logging in.
  2. iTunes restore iPad after writing down the iCloud account and password currently attached to the device so that you can regain access when the device restarts.
Good luck.
[doublepost=1492478362][/doublepost]
[/QUO
As always ask a question, you don't get answers just more questions, people have really forgotten how to help people

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.