Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

PayPal today announced that "more than two million" retailers in the United States will now accept online payments from the PayPal-owned, peer-to-peer payments platform Venmo. Users with Venmo accounts will be able to pay on retailer apps like Forever 21, Foot Locker, and Lululemon starting this week (via Reuters).

With the addition of Venmo into the checkout process of these apps, Venmo customers can use their app balance, linked cards, or bank account to shop on the mobile sites of "almost all merchants that accept payments with PayPal." The peer-to-peer payments app will appear as a checkout option similar to PayPal and other mobile wallets.

paypal-venmo-logos.jpg
"At Venmo from the very early days our vision was to always let you use it for whatever you want to buy," Ben Mills, head of product, at Venmo, said in an interview.
Venmo will charge merchants fees for processing payments through its platform, with Venmo head of product Ben Mills stating that the service's ease of use "could help increase" the company's sales.

Another update coming down the line -- first announced over the summer -- will let users transfer their app's balance to their bank account instantly, for a transfer fee of $0.25. Currently, Venmo transfers to bank accounts are free, but take up to a day to complete.

PayPal is said to be looking to bolster Venmo's stance in the peer-to-peer payments market following the launch of Zelle earlier in 2017, and the impending debut of Apple Pay Cash. However, PayPal CEO Dan Schulman has said he doesn't think Apple Pay Cash will hurt Venmo, mainly citing Venmo's availability across platforms as its leg up on Apple's iOS-only P2P payments.

Article Link: PayPal Announces Over 2M U.S. Retailers Will Begin Accepting Venmo Payments Online

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
2 million locations, not 2 million different retailers. So if Walmart starts accepting it, that's 5,000 "retailer". If McDonalds does, that's another 14,000.

ApplePay is currently accepted at more than 4 million locations and more than 1,500 banks are part of the program.

multipasser

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2010
Why are they still focussing on centralized payments? I would expect them to be investing in decentralised blockchain payment systems! Those are the future. Some products on mobile are coming out so looking forward to see what will happen with paypal/visa/pay...

Reactions: Avieshek

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
More options is probably better - although this just seems unnecessarily complicated by Paypal - Paypal already offers payments to retailers.

If Zelle is used by a big enough group of the smartphone population in the U.S., it'd become a serious threat to Venmo - however Venmo may have already won the marketshare race - making it very hard if not impossible for Zelle to overcome.

Frankly, the U.S. government is mandated to provide currency for citizen transactions and should provide an electronic form without transaction fees that provides transaction privacy like cash does - the financial industry would not want this to happen, but this is what should really happen, IMHO.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Would need to see an impartial as possible review before I would use PayPal again. It was a long time ago but I had a bad experience that took forever to resolve.

Reactions: lostczech

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
At the end of the day, I simply do not trust PayPal. Their service level is awful from prior experience and I'm a "fool me once" kind of guy. I also don't like the idea of charging an expedite fee for them to move a person's own money to their own bank.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.