Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Definitely a lot more hits than I thought there would be when searching mac pro 2013 overheating sleep

I did not even think it could be possible!

You install fresh OS I gather and no funky app?
Yup, fresh Monterey install and no dodgy software. I think I've found the source of the problem however...

A powered USB hub. Unplugged it last night and put the Mac Pro to sleep. This morning, cold to the touch and temps on wake of 28c.

EDIT: So it appears it may not even be a hub that's causing the problem but a Logitech USB Unifying Receiver. Switched my MX mouse and keyboard to Bluetooth, removed the receiver (with USB hub plugged back in) and Mac has slept properly and cold to touch after several hours.

EDIT #2: May have jumped the gun on the above - it is the USB hub after all, it seems, causing the sleep issue. Will test further.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexMaximus

mac_Apple

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2023
brought a wd blue sn570 1tb nvme to upgrade my trashcan mac, I can installed Monterey on it, but when I tried boot from it, my mac displays a flashing question mark, which indicates that it can't boot. However, when I insert the bootable Monterey USB, it'll boot.
The nvme ssd works perfectly on my 2015 macbook pro. The firmware on my trashcan also updated. So any ideas to make it work?
Thanks

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
brought a wd blue sn570 1tb nvme to upgrade my trashcan mac, I can installed Monterey on it, but when I tried boot from it, my mac displays a flashing question mark, which indicates that it can't boot. However, when I insert the bootable Monterey USB, it'll boot.
The nvme ssd works perfectly on my 2015 macbook pro. The firmware on my trashcan also updated. So any ideas to make it work?
Thanks

Sn570 is listed as not compatible, has nothing to do with the firmware.

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Thanks
See my posts from here in this thread. Seems the SN570 works great in MacBooks but does not work at all (cannot be recognised as boot drive) on 6,1 Mac Pro. Switched to a Samsung 970 EVO+ and works perfectly.

shaocaholica

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
FWIW I had some spare 4TB SSDs laying around and I tested them in my trashcan 6,1

WD BLACK PS5 edition (SN850P) 4TB - Fits with the factory heatsink and works good enough to install macOS 12.7

Crucial P3 4TB - Does not work. Can't even boot into the 12.7 USB installer for some reason.

rowanus

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2020
I got a Sintech adapter + Samsung 970 EVO+ 2TB NVME SSD in a 2013 Mac Pro(6, 1) it boots fine, however, during the long process (100 GB+) of transferring photos from iPhone to Mac, I got one or two times of NVME controller panic.
Mine firmware for the 970 evo+: 4B2QEXM7.
2013 Mac Pro: Montery with 474.0.0.0.0.

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2003
New England
I've had an interesting experience with the Ableconn PEXM2-130 so far. Over the weekend, I installed it into Slot 2 in my dual-X5650 MacPro 4,1>5,1 running Monterey with a 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus with updated firmware. Could not install Monterey on it. On two attempts, while preparing the installation from a USB installer, my Mac abruptly powered off and rebooted with the progress bar at around 75%. I moved it up to Slot 3 and was able to complete the installation on the first try. After running it in that configuration for 24 hours without any issues, I moved it back to Slot 2 to get full speeds. With the PEXM2-130 in Slot 2, Monterey kept freezing up without warning during tasks such as playing an mkv file off the NVME, streaming a video on YouTube, or browsing Chrome. This happened 4 times, each time within 30 minutes of rebooting. I thought it might be a problem of bad RAM, but ran memtest86 for a full day without any errors popping up. Due to similar complaints reported elsewhere, I added a 512MB Inland Premium NVME to the other slot that I had sitting around after upgrading my son's Windows desktop. Monterey has now been running smoothly now for the past 24 hours with the PEXM2-130 in Slot 2. Good speeds too. For me, at least, it seems the PEXM2-130 needs both slots occupied if operating at x8.

Jill Valentine

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2021
Sweden
I've had an interesting experience with the Ableconn PEXM2-130 so far. Over the weekend, I installed it into Slot 2 in my dual-X5650 MacPro 4,1>5,1 running Monterey with a 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus with updated firmware. Could not install Monterey on it. On two attempts, while preparing the installation from a USB installer, my Mac abruptly powered off and rebooted with the progress bar at around 75%. I moved it up to Slot 3 and was able to complete the installation on the first try. After running it in that configuration for 24 hours without any issues, I moved it back to Slot 2 to get full speeds. With the PEXM2-130 in Slot 2, Monterey kept freezing up without warning during tasks such as playing an mkv file off the NVME, streaming a video on YouTube, or browsing Chrome. This happened 4 times, each time within 30 minutes of rebooting. I thought it might be a problem of bad RAM, but ran memtest86 for a full day without any errors popping up. Due to similar complaints reported elsewhere, I added a 512MB Inland Premium NVME to the other slot that I had sitting around after upgrading my son's Windows desktop. Monterey has now been running smoothly now for the past 24 hours with the PEXM2-130 in Slot 2. Good speeds too. For me, at least, it seems the PEXM2-130 needs both slots occupied if operating at x8.
I have had similar problems too, and only with monterey, i had to do a NVRAM reset, also verifying both containers in diskutility, and do a post install as root with OpenCore. I had not those ptoblems in Ventura, but i didnt like Ventura so i went back to Mojave.

fnwbr

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2023
Berlin
FWIW I had some spare 4TB SSDs laying around and I tested them in my trashcan 6,1

WD BLACK PS5 edition (SN850P) 4TB - Fits with the factory heatsink and works good enough to install macOS 12.7

Crucial P3 4TB - Does not work. Can't even boot into the 12.7 USB installer for some reason.

Can confirm the above regarding the Western Digital SN850X (which is equivalent to the SN850P), running 1TB on my Mac Pro 6,1.

I'm slightly confused because I had marked it as "not working" in my head, and the post above made my re-test my configuration. Maybe I used a different Sintech adapter when I tested this specific SSD last time, but it does work quite well - no issues with sleep either. Still feels a bit wrong given the possible speeds of this drive. :')

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 23.00.23.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 23.00.23.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 23.13.41.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 23.13.41.png
    198 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 23.13.52.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 23.13.52.png
    96 KB · Views: 67
  • DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    230.3 KB · Views: 57

solaris8x86

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
Saturn
Can confirm the above regarding the Western Digital SN850X (which is equivalent to the SN850P), running 1TB on my Mac Pro 6,1.

I'm slightly confused because I had marked it as "not working" in my head, and the post above made my re-test my configuration. Maybe I used a different Sintech adapter when I tested this specific SSD last time, but it does work quite well - no issues with sleep either. Still feels a bit wrong given the possible speeds of this drive. :')

It is normal working at this speed. It has already reached to the ceiling of the external thunderbolt 2 bus.

CurtisBilly

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2006
I just purchased a used MacPro 2019 7,1. I would like to run Windows bootcamp off of a two drive PCIe SSD card running in a RAID0.

Do you think it might work with these?
- Ableconn PEXM2-130
- Qty 2 Addlink S95 4TB

Is a software RAID0 possible for Windows or do I need a hardware RAID controller?

Last edited:

CurtisBilly

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2006
I am now leaning towards a single NVME to bootcamp Windows on Mac Pro 2019 7,1 and unless I get different advice will probably order:
- Western Digital SN850x 4TB
- Glotrends PA09-HS or OWC Accelsior 1M2 Single PCIe card

Any advice appreciated. I want 4TB TLC for my Windows NVME bootcamp drive. The WD SN850x 4TB seems well liked, including good comments on tonymac. The Glotrends seems well liked on Newegg.

What 4TB bootcamp drives/cards are working for you all on Mac Pro 7,1?

Last edited:

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
What you all gentlemen say about this upgrade for a cMP 4.1>5.1 under MLOC 0.9.5?
Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 17.34.08.jpg

One boot nvme SSD for macOS.
One boot nvme SSD for Windows.

Haven't bought anything yet.

Reactions: JedNZ

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
What you all gentlemen say about this upgrade for a cMP 4.1>5.1 under MLOC 0.9.5?
View attachment 2307418

I’ve got the same Ableconn dual M.2 carrier and similar looking M.2 heatsinks, but with Samsung 970 EVO Plus blades, and it’s been a terrific experience. Hope yours is too.

Reactions: polanskiman

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
View attachment 2307418

I have that Sabrent Rocket 1TB and a EVO 970 Plus 1TB installed in a Lycom DT-130 (same as Ableconn PEXM2-130). Together they work perfect.

Recently, I removed the Sabrent and replaced it Samsung 980 Pro 1TB.
I had cloned Monterey from Sabrent onto 980 Pro.
980 Pro boots fine but I am not convinced it's a good match for macOS as I have noticed lags (with spinning beachball) after boot an and occasionally during use. There's nothing noticed in Activity Monitor that's taking up any CPU load (in fact mostly idle).

Reactions: polanskiman

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
I just realized I have this 256GB SSD (SSUBX) from my MacBookPro mid 2015 that I never used as I replaced it from the beginning for a 1TB NVMe in the early days. I was wondering if I could use this adaptor to use the drive in my cMP:
Screen Shot 2023-11-06 at 07.50.20.jpg

And here is my drive:
IMG_1613 2.jpg

Would this adaptor work and if so would the drive be seen as an internal or external drive?

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
I’ve got the same Ableconn dual M.2 carrier and similar looking M.2 heatsinks, but with Samsung 970 EVO Plus blades, and it’s been a terrific experience. Hope yours is too.
Which heatsink do you have exactly? I am mostly concerned about the clearance between the two blades since it's possible that the heatsink might be slightly too big to fit two.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have that Sabrent Rocket 1TB and a EVO 970 Plus 1TB installed in a Lycom DT-130 (same as Ableconn PEXM2-130). Together they work perfect.

Recently, I removed the Sabrent and replaced it Samsung 980 Pro 1TB.
I had cloned Monterey from Sabrent onto 980 Pro.
980 Pro boots fine but I am not convinced it's a good match for macOS as I have noticed lags (with spinning beachball) after boot an and occasionally during use. There's nothing noticed in Activity Monitor that's taking up any CPU load (in fact mostly idle).

Check if the firmware is the current one, Samsung sent several firmware upgrades recently to 980 and 990 NVMe blades, each one to solve bugs that could kill the blade.

I have a standard/non Pro Samsung 980 blade and after the firmware upgrades its behaving accordingly even without the PCIe switch, but it's not a NVMe blade that I have full confidence like the 970 Pro or EVO Plus.

I don't own a 980 Pro or 990 series blade, btw.

Also Magician is now compatible with macOS.

Reactions: JedNZ

polanskiman

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2010
I just realized I have this 256GB SSD (SSUBX) from my MacBookPro mid 2015 that I never used as I replaced it from the beginning for a 1TB NVMe in the early days. I was wondering if I could use this adaptor to use the drive in my cMP:
View attachment 2307787

And here is my drive:
View attachment 2307785

Would this adaptor work and if so would the drive be seen as an internal or external drive?
Anyone?

Another option would be using a card like this:
Screen Shot 2023-11-07 at 13.31.47.jpg

which would then be connected to the Ableconn but I don't know if this will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.