Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Lance Nanek

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2020
Did you find the Sintech-C adaptor a hard fit to hold a double sided SSD? Sintech on Amazon seems to indicate it's a problem for the Sintech-D adaptor which I think is just the C adaptor plus tools. It's in the description plus in one of the photos. They say nothing on Sintech's site though. https://www.amazon.com/Sintech-Compatible-2013-2017-PRO(Late-2013-2015/dp/B08JTDLMXJ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ST-NGFF2013-D&qid=1613161137&sr=8-1

I've yet to commit my order for that drive plus adaptor but getting close. Did you ever note power consumption when benchmarking? My guess is that if the power management of the SSD firmware is well tuned, you should come in lower than other SSD's when running PCIe3.0 or 2.0, as the chip is fabbed on 12nm FinFet and descriptions on Sabrents site indicates need a heatsink if on PCIe4.0 and they say nothing otherwise.
The carrier board in that link does look like the Sintech-C I use. Rocket 4 Plus 1TB is single sided, however, so I couldn't speak to double sided compatibility. I think larger capacity ones are double sided.

Re fit, I did buy the Sabrent heat sink and it's way too big to fit in the Mac Pro 6,1 - you can't put the case back on. The drive gets really hot to the touch during use, however, so I think it needs one.

Without a heatsink I was able to screw both carrier board and blade in. With a heatsink, however, I just screw the carrier board in and use the silicon straps that came with the thin heatsink I bought to secure the heatsink-blade-carrier board sandwich all together:

I'd really prefer a heatsink with a fan, but think I'd have to use the magnet trick to run without a case for that, or find power for it from the screws in the top right corner of the board some other adapters like the AngelShark use. I do have big fans above and below the Mac Pro itself, so it is basically a big wind tunnel at this point, at least.

YosemiteSam

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Southern California
I think fanless will fit? I have an SSD7505 with fan and it doesn't fit (the fan sticks out a bit so it won't turn because it makes contact with the PCIe card in slot 3). https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/pcie-ssds-nvme-ahci.2146725/post-29483973

I guess they should all play nicely together. You might have problems if you try to boot Windows, unless you boot Windows using EFI which has its own problems.

Thanks for the feedback. SSD 7104 is indeed fanless- just trying to see if anyone can give a solid endorsement re: fit (especially with Sapphire Pulse RX 580 below and Sonnet SSD Tempo Pro Plus card above). Like you, I'm just guessing/assuming it should work (I don't see why not, since there are no fans on the Highpoint to "stick out"), but if possible I'd like to find out before investing the $420 or so (plus blades). SSD 7104 users seem to be a rare breed though.

Not booting Windows, so no concerns there.

Also want to make sure that 7104 (and the Samsung blades I put in it) will play nicely with BOTH my 5,1 (on HS/Mojave) AND a future 7,1 (presumably on Catalina, Big Sur, and beyond). Should just be plug-and-play to swap to the newer machine, right? At least for non-OS drives?

The Sonnet M.2 4x4 SSD (Silent version) specifically advertises/supports migrating from a 5,1 to a 7,1. Unfortunately, I recall reading on this forum that the Sonnet card doesn't fit properly when placed above the Sapphire Pulse RX 580. I'm really hoping the Highpoint SSD 7104 would fit.

Does the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 (and its size/fans) interfere with Highpoint 7101-A1? Those cards fit/work together properly, right? If so, then my only real worry is if the (fan-less) 7104 works with a card above (in slot 3) as well (whereas we know that the Highpoint cards with fans have some issues with any card in the slot above, as the Highpoint fans stick out and then can't turn).

dmMacRumors

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2021
The carrier board in that link does look like the Sintech-C I use. Rocket 4 Plus 1TB is single sided, however, so I couldn't speak to double sided compatibility. I think larger capacity ones are double sided.

Re fit, I did buy the Sabrent heat sink and it's way too big to fit in the Mac Pro 6,1 - you can't put the case back on. The drive gets really hot to the touch during use, however, so I think it needs one.

Without a heatsink I was able to screw both carrier board and blade in. With a heatsink, however, I just screw the carrier board in and use the silicon straps that came with the thin heatsink I bought to secure the heatsink-blade-carrier board sandwich all together:

I'd really prefer a heatsink with a fan, but think I'd have to use the magnet trick to run without a case for that, or find power for it from the screws in the top right corner of the board some other adapters like the AngelShark use. I do have big fans above and below the Mac Pro itself, so it is basically a big wind tunnel at this point, at least.
For some reason I thought you had the 2TB version which is double sided. My MBP11,5 is a pretty tight fit but people do seem to run 2TB drives albeit perhaps not stressing the SSD in a benchmark. I really need my RAW photo editing to fly and the drive to hold all the data and that's not quite the same as a stress test. By the looks of it, the SinTech-C adaptor is mostly board without traces and one can probably Dremel it down to smaller if need be.

There is some extra room so I'm hoping to adapt and create a modified cooler a little more robust than the metal cover on the stock sabrent drive. Something like adapted from the 1.5mm version of the following (you might be able to fit the 4mm version inside your MP6,1) ... https://www.amazon.com/icepc-Heatsi...80+copper+heatsink&qid=1613436885&sr=8-9&th=1

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. SSD 7104 is indeed fanless- just trying to see if anyone can give a solid endorsement re: fit (especially with Sapphire Pulse RX 580 below and Sonnet SSD Tempo Pro Plus card above). Like you, I'm just guessing/assuming it should work (I don't see why not, since there are no fans on the Highpoint to "stick out"), but if possible I'd like to find out before investing the $420 or so (plus blades). SSD 7104 users seem to be a rare breed though.

Does the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 (and its size/fans) interfere with Highpoint 7101-A1? Those cards fit/work together properly, right? If so, then my only real worry is if the (fan-less) 7104 works with a card above (in slot 3) as well (whereas we know that the Highpoint cards with fans have some issues with any card in the slot above, as the Highpoint fans stick out and then can't turn).

The Sonnet M.2 4x4 SSD (Silent version) specifically advertises/supports migrating from a 5,1 to a 7,1. Unfortunately, I recall reading on this forum that the Sonnet card doesn't fit properly when placed above the Sapphire Pulse RX 580. I'm really hoping the Highpoint SSD 7104 would fit.
@DEH uses a riser to solve fit issues. The riser idea is especially good for cards like the SSD7104 that don't have external connectors. In extreme cases, a riser could be used to mount a card vertically above the other PCIe cards. If there's enough space next to slot 4, then a riser from slot 2 could be used to connect an upside down card between slot 4 and the drive bays (where a slot 5 would be).
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...performance-for-the-cmp.2124253/post-29573529

Also want to make sure that 7104 (and the Samsung blades I put in it) will play nicely with BOTH my 5,1 (on HS/Mojave) AND a future 7,1 (presumably on Catalina, Big Sur, and beyond). Should just be plug-and-play to swap to the newer machine, right? At least for non-OS drives?
Unless there's a problem with the firmware making incorrect assumptions about the Mac's UEFI.

YosemiteSam

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Southern California
Thanks for the link and thoughts, @joevt. Appreciate it.

Hmm. Some info there for me to consider.

I was really hoping for a solution where I don't have to modify any cards (take cover/plate off, cut anything, solder/desolder, add thermal treatment, etc.). I believe the Pulse is a little smaller than the Nitro+ in the machine in the link you provided. Sapphire's site shows the difference to be 3mm (43 vs 40). Not sure if that's enough to make it all work without special treatment. Also looks like the 7104 is about 1.3mm thicker than the 7101-A1 (.72in vs .67in). Was hoping the fanless would be thinner, if not the same. Barring someone else with these same 2 cards, I guess there's no way to know for sure unless I just order and see what happens. I suppose, worst-case, I could remove the Sonnet Tempo Pro Plus (in slot 3) and move those 2 SSDs to my SATA II bays (and move the HDDs that are currently in those bays to outside the box). But that's not ideal, as A) the SSD 7104 would be in a x4 slot (and not x16) and B) the SSDs currently on the Sonnet card will then be capped at SATA II speeds (and not SATA III).

Decisions, decisions...

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I was really hoping for a solution where I don't have to modify any cards (take cover/plate off, cut anything, solder/desolder, add thermal treatment, etc.). I believe the Pulse is a little smaller than the Nitro+ in the machine in the link you provided. Sapphire's site shows the difference to be 3mm (43 vs 40). Not sure if that's enough to make it all work without special treatment. Also looks like the 7104 is about 1.3mm thicker than the 7101-A1 (.72in vs .67in). Was hoping the fanless would be thinner, if not the same. Barring someone else with these same 2 cards, I guess there's no way to know for sure unless I just order and see what happens. I suppose, worst-case, I could remove the Sonnet Tempo Pro Plus (in slot 3) and move those 2 SSDs to my SATA II bays (and move the HDDs that are currently in those bays to outside the box). But that's not ideal, as A) the SSD 7104 would be in a x4 slot (and not x16) and B) the SSDs currently on the Sonnet card will then be capped at SATA II speeds (and not SATA III).
To be clear, using a Riser doesn't modify a card - it lets you alter it's location - but you need a method to secure the card in its new location (gravity and friction are options). Granted, removing the PCIe bracket of the HighPoint card may allow it to take less space and you may want to add non-conducting dividers (like @DEH did) to eliminate risk of shorts.

Standard PCIe slot width is 0.8 inches (20.32 mm). A dual slot is therefore 40.64 mm. Cards may have extra stuff on the solder side of the PCB (for example - GPUs have back plates, and HighPoint cards have protruding standoffs for securing NVMe devices). Really, you need to know the width of the components on each side of a card to know how two different cards will fit together.

SSDs can be stacked two per bay. Unscrew the SATA connectors in the drive bays to add some slack (put the screws back in place so you don't loose them). Add 6" or 2" extenders (includes power splitters)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FM9BDS?th=1
https://www.microsatacables.com/cat...onnectors-2-p22pm-2x15pf-7p-2in/category/213/
https://www.microsatacables.com/cat...onnectors-6-p22pm-2x15pf-7p-6in/category/213/

This image shows the standoffs of the SSD7505 making contact with the EVGA Nvidia GTX 680 Mac Edition. You can't see how the fan sticks out.
MacPro3,1 dual 2.5" mod 3.JPG

I tried using double sided 3M adhesive to attach the SSDs to the drive bays but they would eventually unstick. A SSD cage (3D printed?) that can be attached using existing screws in the drive bays would be ideal (not attached to the sleds because I don't want to pull the cables when removing the sleds).
I settled for hanging the drives like this:
MAcPro3,1 dual 2.5" mod 4.JPG

Attachments

• MacPro3,1 dual 2.5" mod 1.JPG
    MacPro3,1 dual 2.5" mod 1.JPG
    449.8 KB · Views: 138
  • MacPro3,1 dual 2.5" mod 2.JPG
    MacPro3,1 dual 2.5" mod 2.JPG
    471.1 KB · Views: 130
  • MacPro3,1 fan assembly SATA access.JPG
    MacPro3,1 fan assembly SATA access.JPG
    338 KB · Views: 143
  • MacPro3,1 fan assembly screw access 1.JPG
    MacPro3,1 fan assembly screw access 1.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 124
  • MacPro3,1 fan assembly screw access 2.JPG
    MacPro3,1 fan assembly screw access 2.JPG
    312.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Reactions: permanentmacdabbler

AfterglowMP

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
It's the Mac Pro BootROM NVMe native support that makes compatible PCIe drives bootable, not the adapters.
So what doe it mean when OWC specify that "Booting support requires that your motherboard BIOS support booting via PCIe NVMe drives. Booting on Mac Pro (2010-2012) requires macOS 10.14.6" SSD Upgrade Kits For Apple Mac Pro 2009-2012?
(I've been editing on El Cap and am now upgrading to High Sierra but not Mojave so I can keep using my GPU NVidia 1080)

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
So what doe it mean when OWC specify that "Booting support requires that your motherboard BIOS support booting via PCIe NVMe drives. Booting on Mac Pro (2010-2012) requires macOS 10.14.6" SSD Upgrade Kits For Apple Mac Pro 2009-2012?
(I've been editing on El Cap and am now upgrading to High Sierra but not Mojave so I can keep using my GPU NVidia 1080)
As always, OWC is wrong.

The only requirement is a 14x.0.0.0 series firmware for a Mac Pro early-2009 to mid-2012 to be capable of booting from a supported NVMe blade. Apple introduced it with 140.0.0.0.0 and iterated continuously until the current version, 144.0.0.0.0.

High Sierra + 144.0.0.0.0 support NVMe perfectly. El Capitan don't support NVMe at all, just AHCI. Read the rest on the first post, no need to write again here.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Even motherboards with BIOS that don't support booting NVMe bios can probably boot NVMe by putting a NVMe EFI driver on a different disk and loading it with Driver#### and DriverOrder EFI NVRAM variables. But I haven't tried it yet.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Even motherboards with BIOS that don't support booting NVMe bios can probably boot NVMe by putting a NVMe EFI driver on a different disk and loading it with Driver#### and DriverOrder EFI NVRAM variables. But I haven't tried it yet.
Old PCs that still have BIOS are obviously incompatible with UEFI modules. Needs to be an UEFI firmware, then you can add the UEFI NVME module to it. EFI is not really common with PCs.

Usually works for SandyBridge and later, while some Clarkdale boards that are UEFI can work too. WinRAID forums have recipes to add NVMe support to boards that are UEFI.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Old PCs that still have BIOS are obviously incompatible with UEFI modules. Needs to be an UEFI firmware, then you can add the UEFI NVME module to it. EFI is not really common with PCs.

Usually works for SandyBridge and later, while some Clarkdale boards that are UEFI can work too. WinRAID forums have recipes to add NVMe support to boards that are UEFI.
Right. I meant UEFI when I said BIOS - I was using Sonnet's words. PCs with legacy BIOS can use DUET to boot EFI and maybe an NVMe EFI driver can be added to that? Clover has a legacy BIOS boot option (uses DUET code). So does OpenCore. I haven't tried EFI on BIOS before though.

YosemiteSam

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Southern California
To be clear, using a Riser doesn't modify a card - it lets you alter it's location - but you need a method to secure the card in its new location (gravity and friction are options). Granted, removing the PCIe bracket of the HighPoint card may allow it to take less space and you may want to add non-conducting dividers (like @DEH did) to eliminate risk of shorts.

Standard PCIe slot width is 0.8 inches (20.32 mm). A dual slot is therefore 40.64 mm. Cards may have extra stuff on the solder side of the PCB (for example - GPUs have back plates, and HighPoint cards have protruding standoffs for securing NVMe devices). Really, you need to know the width of the components on each side of a card to know how two different cards will fit together.

SSDs can be stacked two per bay. Unscrew the SATA connectors in the drive bays to add some slack (put the screws back in place so you don't loose them). Add 6" or 2" extenders (includes power splitters)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075FM9BDS?th=1
https://www.microsatacables.com/cat...onnectors-2-p22pm-2x15pf-7p-2in/category/213/
https://www.microsatacables.com/cat...onnectors-6-p22pm-2x15pf-7p-6in/category/213/

This image shows the standoffs of the SSD7505 making contact with the EVGA Nvidia GTX 680 Mac Edition. You can't see how the fan sticks out.
View attachment 1731304

I tried using double sided 3M adhesive to attach the SSDs to the drive bays but they would eventually unstick. A SSD cage (3D printed?) that can be attached using existing screws in the drive bays would be ideal (not attached to the sleds because I don't want to pull the cables when removing the sleds).
I settled for hanging the drives like this:
View attachment 1731303
Thanks for the info and links.

I ordered the fanless Highpoint 7104 on Thursday night after contacting their support/sales with some questions. They assure me that the 7104 will not interfere with any card in another slot as long as those cards don't extend beyond the PCIe slot depth. They say the card should be shipping out today, so once it arrives I'll see just how all of this fits together.

I'll try to remember to report back, just in case there's another soul out there in the world wondering if/how a 7104 and a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 fit.

Grumply

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Not booting Windows, so no concerns there.

I've got a pair of 7104s running in my 7,1. And they've been fantastic. Rock solid, and completely silent.

I had the 7101As before, and the fan noise irritated me, but I didn't quite trust the heatsink by itself. The 7104 seems to solve all of those issues. I think you'll enjoy yours a lot.

Speaking of Highpoint controller endorsements though, has anyone tried the 8x M.2 7140 yet? I need to add yet more NVME storage to my machine (10TB just doesn't cut it for active projects these days apparently :oops:). Would love to hear if anyone's taken the punt, seems to be the only 8x NVME board on the market.

p11hlf

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2018
Southampton UK
HELP!
Ive had a nightmare with my new 6,1 machine, I’ve idolised this thing for so long until i can afford to buy it and the damn thing gives me so much crap I’m full of regret!

RANT OVER

its a 6 core model, worked great on the 256gb app hdd with a time machine migration......... until i put a sabrent rocket drive into it.......couldn’t clone the big sur boot drive so downgraded to catalina. But it now wont upgrade or do a successful migration.

is it the drive? Is it the adapter? I’m on the latest firmware!

HELP!

Lance Nanek

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2020
Latest report from the ancient hardware division, I got my hands on a Samsung Evo 970 500GB. Benchmarks well in the 2 PCIe lane Sabrent enclosure:
Mac Pro 6,1 -> Apple Thunderbolt 2->3 Adapter -> Kensington SD5200T dock -> Sabrent EC-T3NS enclosure -> Samsung Evo 970 500GB = Blackmagic 5GB benchmark 1166.2 MB/s write, 1324.1 MB/s read

Mac Pro 6,1 -> Apple Thunderbolt 2->3 Adapter -> Kensington SD5200T dock -> Sabrent EC-T3NS enclosure -> Sabrent Rocket 3 1TB = Blackmagic 5GB benchmark 1178.6 MB/s write, 1276.6 MB/s read

Even better; unlike the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus, Rocket 4, and Rocket 3 I tried; it runs at PCIe 2.0 speeds in the Mercury Helios TB2 enclosures I have instead of PCIe 1.0 speed:
Code:
pci144d,a808:

Type:    NVM Express Controller
  Driver Installed:    Yes
  Tunnel Compatible:    Yes
  Pause Compatible:    Yes
  MSI:    Yes
  Bus:    PCI
  Slot:    Thunderbolt@104,0,0
  Vendor ID:    0x144d
  Device ID:    0xa808
  Subsystem Vendor ID:    0x144d
  Subsystem ID:    0xa801
  Revision ID:    0x0000
  Serial Number:    S5H7NS0NB86171W
  Link Width:    x4
  Link Speed:    5.0 GT/s

Generic SSD Controller:

Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB:

Capacity:    500.11 GB (500,107,862,016 bytes)
  TRIM Support:    Yes
  Model:    Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB
  Revision:    2B2QEXE7
  Detachable Drive:    No
  BSD Name:    disk0
  Partition Map Type:    GPT (GUID Partition Table)
  Removable Media:    No
  S.M.A.R.T. status:    Verified

Compared to:
Code:
pci1987,5012:

Slot:    Thunderbolt@159,0,0
  Vendor ID:    0x1987
  Device ID:    0x5012
  Subsystem Vendor ID:    0x1987
  Subsystem ID:    0x5012
  Revision ID:    0x0001
  Serial Number:    C1D30702120901088389
  Link Speed:    2.5 GT/s

Generic SSD Controller:

Sabrent:

Capacity:    1.02 TB (1,024,209,543,168 bytes)
  Model:    Sabrent
  Revision:    RKT303.3
  BSD Name:    disk4

Glad I can finally toss those LITEON EP1-KB480 blades I've been stuck with in all my Helios enclosures.

Attachments

• benchmark-SD5200T_dock-Sabrent_EC-T3NS_enclosure-Sabrent_RKT3_NVME.png
    benchmark-SD5200T_dock-Sabrent_EC-T3NS_enclosure-Sabrent_RKT3_NVME.png
    221.2 KB · Views: 104
  • SD5200T-Sabrent_EC-T3NS_enclosure-Samsung_EVO_970_500GB_benchmark.png
    SD5200T-Sabrent_EC-T3NS_enclosure-Samsung_EVO_970_500GB_benchmark.png
    221.2 KB · Views: 86

complaxneoda

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2017
Latest report from the ancient hardware division, I got my hands on a Samsung Evo 970 500GB. Benchmarks well in the 2 PCIe lane Sabrent enclosure:
Mac Pro 6,1 -> Apple Thunderbolt 2->3 Adapter -> Kensington SD5200T dock -> Sabrent EC-T3NS enclosure -> Samsung Evo 970 500GB = Blackmagic 5GB benchmark 1166.2 MB/s write, 1324.1 MB/s read

Mac Pro 6,1 -> Apple Thunderbolt 2->3 Adapter -> Kensington SD5200T dock -> Sabrent EC-T3NS enclosure -> Sabrent Rocket 3 1TB = Blackmagic 5GB benchmark 1178.6 MB/s write, 1276.6 MB/s read

Even better; unlike the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus, Rocket 4, and Rocket 3 I tried; it runs at PCIe 2.0 speeds in the Mercury Helios TB2 enclosures I have instead of PCIe 1.0 speed:
Code:
pci144d,a808:

Slot:    Thunderbolt@104,0,0
  Vendor ID:    0x144d
  Device ID:    0xa808
  Subsystem Vendor ID:    0x144d
  Subsystem ID:    0xa801
  Revision ID:    0x0000

Generic SSD Controller:

Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB:

Capacity:    500.11 GB (500,107,862,016 bytes)
  Model:    Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB
  Revision:    2B2QEXE7
  BSD Name:    disk0

Compared to:
Code:
pci1987,5012:

Slot:    Thunderbolt@159,0,0
  Vendor ID:    0x1987
  Device ID:    0x5012
  Subsystem Vendor ID:    0x1987
  Subsystem ID:    0x5012
  Revision ID:    0x0001

Generic SSD Controller:

Sabrent:

Capacity:    1.02 TB (1,024,209,543,168 bytes)
  Model:    Sabrent
  Revision:    RKT303.3
  BSD Name:    disk4

Glad I can finally toss those LITEON EP1-KB480 blades I've been stuck with in all my Helios enclosures.
Do you use 970 EVO as boot drive?
I notice that your 970 EVO S.M.A.R.T. status is Verified, in my case, my Mac Pro 6,1 can not support third party drive's S.M.A.R.T. status. How do you make it happen?

Lance Nanek

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2020
Do you use 970 EVO as boot drive?
I notice that your 970 EVO S.M.A.R.T. status is Verified, in my case, my Mac Pro 6,1 can not support third party drive's S.M.A.R.T. status. How do you make it happen?
Booting off a Sabrent Rocket 4 on the internal slot on Catalina:
Code:
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB:

Capacity:    1 TB (1,000,204,886,016 bytes)
  Model:    Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB
  Revision:    RKT401.3
  Serial Number:    6D130709054C92038831
  BSD Name:    disk1
  Volumes:
EFI:
  Capacity:    209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
  File System:    MS-DOS FAT32
  BSD Name:    disk1s1
  Content:    EFI
  Volume UUID:    0E239BC6-F960-3107-89CF-1C97F78BB46B
disk1s2:
  Capacity:    999.86 GB (999,860,912,128 bytes)
  BSD Name:    disk1s2
  Content:    Apple_APFS

I've heard you can clone your boot drive to a RAID array using SuperDuper! and the like, but can't upgrade OS versions after that. Haven't seen any other SMART status than Verified in all the drives I've tested (Rocket 3, Rocket 4, Rocket 4 Plus, ADATA SX8200 Pro, LITEON EP1-KB480, Samsung Evo 970). Although the machine locks up if I put an Samsung PM981 in there, and I've heard Samsung Evo 970 Plus requires a firmware update for Mac OS compatibility.

complaxneoda

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2017
Booting off a Sabrent Rocket 4 on the internal slot on Catalina:
Code:
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB:

Capacity:    1 TB (1,000,204,886,016 bytes)
  Model:    Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB
  Revision:    RKT401.3
  Serial Number:    6D130709054C92038831
  BSD Name:    disk1
  Volumes:
EFI:
  Capacity:    209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
  File System:    MS-DOS FAT32
  BSD Name:    disk1s1
  Content:    EFI
  Volume UUID:    0E239BC6-F960-3107-89CF-1C97F78BB46B
disk1s2:
  Capacity:    999.86 GB (999,860,912,128 bytes)
  BSD Name:    disk1s2
  Content:    Apple_APFS

I've heard you can clone your boot drive to a RAID array using SuperDuper! and the like, but can't upgrade OS versions after that. Haven't seen any other SMART status than Verified in all the drives I've tested (Rocket 3, Rocket 4, Rocket 4 Plus, ADATA SX8200 Pro, LITEON EP1-KB480, Samsung Evo 970). Although the machine locks up if I put an Samsung PM981 in there, and I've heard Samsung Evo 970 Plus requires a firmware update for Mac OS compatibility.
Thank you for your information. May I ask if your Mac Pro still cover by warranty?

Virtuoso

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Seattle
Speaking of Highpoint controller endorsements though, has anyone tried the 8x M.2 7140 yet? I need to add yet more NVME storage to my machine (10TB just doesn't cut it for active projects these days apparently :oops:). Would love to hear if anyone's taken the punt, seems to be the only 8x NVME board on the market.
I just got one, but all I can tell you at the moment is that it's heavy! I haven't started to migrate my existing drives from the 7101-A over yet.

I'm also waiting for the price to drop on EVO Plus 970s so I can pick up another 3 (the last ones I bought were $250 and they are currently $320).

Reactions: Grumply

Grumply

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I just got one, but all I can tell you at the moment is that it's heavy! I haven't started to migrate my existing drives from the 7101-A over yet.

I'm also waiting for the price to drop on EVO Plus 970s so I can pick up another 3 (the last ones I bought were $250 and they are currently $320).
Let us know how you go with it 👍

Fetz

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
Is there anything you need to watch out for when buying a used NVMe or SATA blade, specifically a known good blade from the list in Post #1 but an OEM version/Windoze system pull? I see a lot of these drives trolling the 'bay, some at really nice prices, but wonder if there could be compatibility issues (proprietary firmware, etc) trying to run one of these in a Mac.

BTW - Looks like the link to the datasheet for the Samsung PM961 is busted (discovered when investigating one of the aforementioned drives). Found a new working link here if someone with the magic powers to do so would like to fix it.

Thanx!

Lance Nanek

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2020
Is there anything you need to watch out for when buying a used NVMe or SATA blade, specifically a known good blade from the list in Post #1 but an OEM version/Windoze system pull? I see a lot of these drives trolling the 'bay, some at really nice prices, but wonder if there could be compatibility issues (proprietary firmware, etc) trying to run one of these in a Mac.

BTW - Looks like the link to the datasheet for the Samsung PM961 is busted (discovered when investigating one of the aforementioned drives). Found a new working link here if someone with the magic powers to do so would like to fix it.

Thanx!
OEM Samsung drives won't accept being flashed with the consumer firmware. In the case of drives like the Evo 970 Plus, that's the firmware you need for Mac compatibility. It also won't accept firmware from different OEMs. So if you buy an blade Samsung made for HP, it won't accept the Lenovo firmware update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.