Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will USC be a top contender in the Bowl Championship Series now that Carroll left

• Yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Both (yes in a way, and no as well)

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/seattle-seahawks-fire-jim-mora-010810

Pete Carroll who left a Dynasty at the University of Southern California has left USC to become the headcoach of the Seattle Seahawks. If you guys don't know this Paul Allen (co-founder of Microsoft), owner of the Seattle Seahawks may have been one of the reasons Carroll left. I smell a lot of money. Anyways I'm kind of surprised why USC Carroll would leave USC? and I am very scared for the future of the USC football program. I mean Pete Carroll made the Pac-10 better! and increased football awareness in Los Angeles due to LA not having a Pro Football team!

I also created a Poll

This is a list of the Highlights Carroll made.

Two BCS Championship Game appearances (win over Oklahoma, and a loss to Texas)
Two national championships, including the AP 2003 national championship and the undisputed 2004 national championship.
Seven consecutive Associated Press Top-4 finishes
A record six BCS bowl victories
A record seven consecutive BCS bowl appearances
A record seven consecutive years as Pac-10 Champions or Co-Champions
A national-record 33 consecutive weeks as AP's No. 1-ranked team
A winning record of 97–19 (85.6%), including 16–2 against traditional rivals Notre Dame and UCLA
A NCAA record of 63 straight 20-point games
Twenty-five All-American first teamers
53 players selected in the NFL Draft, including 14 in the first round.[45]
Three Heisman Trophy winners (Carson Palmer, 2002; Matt Leinart, 2004; Reggie Bush, 2005)
Four Top-5 recruiting classes
Win streaks for home games (34) and Pac-10 home games (22).
In 2007, USC became the first NCAA FBS team to achieve six consecutive 11-win seasons.[46] In 2008, USC added an unprecedented seventh consecutive 11-win season.
28–1 in the month of November
Only team in history to win three consecutive Rose Bowl Games

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Not a done deal yet
But is likely
And USC didn't fire Carroll, Seattle fired Mora

We have been discussing it in the College Football thread

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Not a done deal yet
But is likely
And USC didn't fire Carroll, Seattle fired Mora

We have been discussing it in the College Football thread

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

This is a College-Football post season event.

that also concerns NFL fans,

and I live in Los Angeles and all the local news channel's have confirmed Carroll is leaving USC.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
This is a College-Football post season event.

that also concerns NFL fans,

and I live in Los Angeles and all the local news channel's have confirmed Carroll is leaving USC.

I haven't seen a confirmation anywhere yet on the 'net
Edit: Thanks Duke

Most reports say that Seattle will interview a minority candidate to fulfill the Rooney Rule and the deal will get done next week

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Alright Pete Carroll has officially left USC.....:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( sad day for USC fans.....:eek:

I'm hearing he is not only the head coach of the seattle seahawks but the PRESIDENT as well!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

So many questions!

but it's official.

All we need now is a Press Conference.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
He was making big money at USC: $4 million a year. How much are the Seahawks paying him?

Too bad he's leaving LA. I saw a 60 Minutes story about him in 2009 that talked about all of the work he personally does in Los Angeles to try to reduce/end gang violence.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
He was making big money at USC: $4 million a year. How much are the Seahawks paying him?

Too bad he's leaving LA. I saw a 60 Minutes story about him in 2009 that talked about all of the work he personally does in Los Angeles to try to reduce/end gang violence.

Not about the money
The NCAA is coming after USC sports
OJ Mayo, Reggie Bush, Joe McKnight and more
The heat was on and he bailed

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

So far i'm hearing a $17 million 5 year deal........ not sure.....

and that was good that he tried to reduced gang violence......haha:p

Not about the money

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

That's a very interesting controversy too...........the USC sports program is in the red zone right now....:rolleyes:

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
And he might as well leave while he is still highly desired. Another mediocre year next year and some of the immortality disappears.

Agreed Dawg, I think he knows the hammer is about to drop at USC.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
So far i'm hearing a $17 million 5 year deal........ not sure.....

and that was good that he tried to reduced gang violence......haha:p

^^That wouldn't even pay him what he's making at USC, sparky. I've read estimates of 7 to 10 million a year with a 5 year contract. Roughly 35 to 50 million contract with coach and president titles and direct involvement in deciding who is the GM.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
^^That wouldn't even pay him what he's making at USC, sparky. I've read estimates of 7 to 10 million a year with a 5 year contract. Roughly 35 to 50 million contract with coach and president titles and direct involvement in deciding who is the GM.

or probably $17 million per year......that would be nice...:p they're offering him the coach, CEO, CFO and president positions!!!!

day-umm, did the seahawks fire their entire cabinet?!?!!:eek:

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Not about the money

I think that is playing a part. The NCAA is going deep into that program, and I wouldn't be surprised to seem some sanctions coming down. USC themselves already punished the basketball program because of the OJ Mayo stuff.

I think there are other factors, as well. Many good coaches want to prove themselves in the "big leagues" - the NFL. Like I said in the other thread, Carroll really didn't do all that great in his last NFL stint, and I think he wants another chance to prove himself in the NFL. PLus, without the nit-picky rules of the NCAA, he can focus on being a coach, not a micromanaging rules enforcer.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
If he does leave, hopefully there's some chance that we win the BCS championship next year without him.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Well, what a contrast to the Niners and Raiders. One rational and professional organization and two...uh, odd ones at best.

The Oregon coach might be going south.

It is likely a lot of players who might have gone to USC will go to UCLA, Oregon and Washington. More parity in the league, but no dominant team. Too bad, I always want at least one highly ranked PAC 10 team.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
More parity in the league, but no dominant team. Too bad, I always want at least one highly ranked PAC 10 team.

I think parity is a good thing. Besides, there's nothing to stop the Pac-10 from still having a couple of teams up near the top of the rankings.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Like badandy mentioned on the other thread, I think Pete Carroll has a kind of likable personality and aura about him that makes him a great recruiter. Unfortunately that means squat in the NFL. It'll be interesting to see how well he does.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I just want to know what Paul Allen has to do with all this? Why did OP feel the need to put that in the title? Inquiring minds want to know!

It is obviously a MS conspiracy

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Haha, well for all of you conspiracy theorist:

Paul Allen- owns that Seattle Seahawks

Paul Allen- Net Worth "$$$$$ billions"

Paul Allen gives Pete Carroll a $35 million position plus presidency + CEO + CFO??

Show them the money and they will come!

I added Paul Allen because in Macrumors i am aware they're not a lot of Football fans in these forums, but if i put Paul Allen, then some of the hardcore mac guys, can join in! (in a way) lol :p:D

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Haha, well for all of you conspiracy theorist:

Paul Allen- owns that Seattle Seahawks

Paul Allen- Net Worth "$$$$$ billions"

Paul Allen gives Pete Carroll a $35 million position plus presidency + CEO + CFO??

Show them the money and they will come!

I added Paul Allen because in Macrumors i am aware they're not a lot of Football fans in these forums, but if i put Paul Allen, then some of the hardcore mac guys, can join in! (in a way) lol :p:D

Honestly, Allen hasn't had much to do with Microsoft in a long time. (By the way, he's a pretty nice guy). I'm glad the Hawks are getting a good coach...but we need some good players. Sports commentators are saying the same things about Carroll as they did about Mora last year--ultimately, a good coach is critical, but without good players, we'll still suck.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I just want to know what Paul Allen has to do with all this? Why did OP feel the need to put that in the title? Inquiring minds want to know!

Come on now....this means Pete can't use his iPhone anymore. Huge news. This is bigger then him leaving USC! :D :D

I can't wait to see how USC does in the coming seasons. Love it!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Paul Allen left Microsoft more than 6 or 7 years ago due to his illness. He still owns a LOT of stock in Microsoft but has nothing to do with it's operation. He also owns the Portland Trailblazers and built the Experience Music Project. Which was a flop.

He has lot's of money and isn't very good at investing either.

He just happens to love music and sports. He has his own band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.