Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xcpk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Not sure if anyone have had this idea before, but iam tired of the lack of video card support. I use my Mac Pro to play sometimes in bootcamp, And i would like more power than the 4870 without the need to flash the ROM of a new card.

Anyone up for a petition so send to Apple and maybe push them a little?

seisend

Suspended
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
Why didn't u buy the EVGA 285 GTX Mac Edition ? You can easily play every game out there with very good settings...

I think it's a contra point of the Mac Pro's but not worth a petition. If you are hardcore gamer and need to play daily on the highest resolution and highest advanced settings, a PC would be a far better (and less expensive) choice for this anyway.

The Mac Pro is a professional working machine.

xcpk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2010
It was just an idea.
Iam using the Mac Pro with Mac OSX for about 90% of the time i use the machine. And even when iam not playing games in the win platform i could use more video power even in OSX.
I think the video hardware apple is using is quite old and outdated. This is just my opinion.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
You aren't saying anything plenty of other people haven't already said, mate. ;)

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
you can use any PC card if you only want it to work in windows

as for petitions, there was a petition when the 8800GT came and it was not compatible with 2006 / 2007 mac pros

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/geforce8800

people are still signing it, but I wouldnt say the amount of signatures is overwhelming...

but perhaps, with steam coming to OSX and all, we will see a wider range of GPU options in future.

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth

why are you people so negative?? a petition won't hurt. its worth a try for sure. someone has to try something.

hell yeah, i'll sign a petition!!! i've been thinking about this for quite some time. just get a petition up and running and go from there. don't be scared away by the negativity.

i'd like to see better workstation video cards for 3D programs like Maya, and better gaming cards. and at the very least, if apple doesn't offer anything as CTO, then they make their computers compatible or vice versa.

m0squito

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
I secon that thought...

Well,

Maybe Apple haven't really listened in the past, but considering that Steam is soon to be avaliable to OSX and that Apple already clearly stated with iTunes, iPhone and iPods - that they want to be in the front end of entertainment (Music, movies etc).

With the entertainment-segment in mind, I surely would think that they in the future would have to consider that gaming is yet another way to get consumers to buy their products. And that it would steal even more users from the PC-market. Nintendo allready declared that the upcomming iPhone 4G is a serious threat to their hand held consoles, so why beat around the bush?

Have any any one really tried to get a serious amount of names together to present to Apple? I mean, not just talk about it generally in various forums online - but in a serious petition; the power of many, can many times be very convincing. if done properly.

And buying another PC is not the proper way as I see it; personally I am just thinking about disassembling my old PC completely, in order to save space and money. Why let more machines do the job that one peice of equipment can handle brilliantly on it's own? I'm quite pro-Mac nower days, and I surely would not miss my PC at all, if I was able to game in the same fashion on my Mac as I did on my previous PC.

At least I hope for a Gaming-future on the Mac, and I think that if Apple do not provide us with a proper way to game on it, the hackintosh-scene will flourish and hold a potentially big market of Apple-buyers back.

At least that's my humble opinion. :)

Cheers,
m0

nasabaer

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
i think you are right.
Just now as steam will come to mac this week i think about purchasing a new mac.
i already sold my mac mini.
i still hope for a gamer mac ;)

mac mini = to slow
imac = not the quality that i prefer - and still the 4850 too low for the 27" resolution.
mac pro = outdated

a new mac pro .. maybe - but i would still prefer the "mac midi".. quadcore and space for 2 hard drives and a nice videocard (ati 5870)
that would be an instant purchase from my side - and i think from many many others.
people are crying for an headless imac for some years already. :eek:

btw: i will sign this petition

xcpk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Petitions are useless.

You have a much better shot at sending Steve very succinct requests via E-Mail at sjobs@apple.com.

Then why dont we create an petition with alot of signatures to send directly to Steve him self?
I think that would have been a much greater way to do it instead of one single person "demands" it.

m0squito

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Petitions are useless.

You have a much better shot at sending Steve very succinct requests via E-Mail at sjobs@apple.com.

I just got a better idea! (i hope) =D

Steam some times do polls for various reasons. Perhaps Steam would be the propper way to adress this, and then have Steam to bring this to Apple? Steam (Valve?) sure has more muscles to put in to this then just us users alone.

How do we do this? Any one knows?

xcpk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2010
I just got a better idea! (i hope) =D

Steam some times do polls for various reasons. Perhaps Steam would be the propper way to adress this, and then have Steam to bring this to Apple? Steam (Valve?) sure has more muscles to put in to this then just us users alone.

How do we do this? Any one knows?

Great idea! We just have to send a request to the valve team at seampowered.com maybe?

m0squito

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Great idea! We just have to send a request to the valve team at seampowered.com maybe?

Very well then. Let us just await Steram first then. I'm sure that Steam for OSX will result in an download frenzy, and that alone should send a signal to Apple, it sure would be good to have fresh numbers to present after a poll.

I'm sure Valve would support our cause, since it would broaden their potential market. =)

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Apple hasn't cared about video power since 2006.

They cared in 2006?

With regards to feedback, use 's website. But if you expect a petition or anything like that to work better than far more popular features people clamor for, you're in for a rude awakening.

If the 2010 Mac Pro comes out soon with a 5870 BTO, it'll actually be current. I don't know what more you could ask for, aside from more/better workstation cards and 10-bit color support in OS X.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
How about a petition to just get the damned 2010 Mac Pro released sometime this year?

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
Not sure if anyone have had this idea before, but iam tired of the lack of video card support. I use my Mac Pro to play sometimes in bootcamp, And i would like more power than the 4870 without the need to flash the ROM of a new card.

Petitions dont do anything. An email to Steve Jobs could, however.

m0squito

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Well, it seems like we'd better await two things before acting:

1) Steam, it would give us a hint about the actual interest of gaming on a Mac, and we could perhaps benefit from having Steam on our side when presenting our cause.

2) The release of the new MacPro, it could give us a hint about the future of gaming cards. At least one or two new cards should be presented with the releas. I'd say, anything else would be just wrong.

.m0

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Last I checked Apple doesn't make video cards.

You guys should petition ATI and/or NVIDIA if you want their cards to work in a Mac. Apple has nothing to do with it. The GPU vendors need to equip their cards with EFI compatible firmware and OSX drivers. There's no need for Apple to get involved at all.

The reason there is limited GPU support for the Mac Pro is because the market is ridiculously small. ATI/NVIDIA probably look at the market size data and laugh. If they do build a card, they have to price it $200 more than the BIOS equivalent to make enough money to justify the investment, and then all you guys do is complain and reflash PC cards... so what do you expect?!

Every time you guys buy a PC card and reflash it rather than buying an Mac specific card you are putting another nail in the Mac GPU coffin. It's a vicious cycle that is only spiraling down.

m0squito

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Last I checked Apple doesn't make video cards.

You guys should petition ATI and/or NVIDIA if you want their cards to work in a Mac. Apple has nothing to do with it. The GPU vendors need to equip their cards with EFI compatible firmware and OSX drivers. There's no need for Apple to get involved at all.

The reason there is limited GPU support for the Mac Pro is because the market is ridiculously small. ATI/NVIDIA probably look at the market size data and laugh. If they do build a card, they have to price it $200 more than the BIOS equivalent to make enough money to justify the investment, and then all you guys do is complain and reflash PC cards... so what do you expect?!

Every time you guys buy a PC card and reflash it rather than buying an Mac specific card you are putting another nail in the Mac GPU coffin. It's a vicious cycle that is only spiraling down.

Don't mean to be ignorant or anything, but since the PC and Apple cards are basicly the same - I reckon it would not be much of an effort to create an automated process in order to make EFI-roms.

And I think the hack sceene of PC-cards proves me right. It's not that hard to convert PC-cards into Apple ditos. It would be nice with a greater range of cards for OSX and have all the warranties with it and stuff.

:m0

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
If they do build a card, they have to price it $200 more than the BIOS equivalent to make enough money to justify the investment, and then all you guys do is complain and reflash PC cards... so what do you expect?!

A few bytes of data more in the firmware requires raising price $200 per unit? Wow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.