Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At CES in January, Philips announced that it was working on a line of Hue lights for outdoors, so that users could connect and control their lighting on a patio, balcony, or other environment outside. Today, the company has revealed the first set of Philips Hue outdoor range products that will be launching in the United States and Europe this July.

philips-hue-outdoor-3.jpg

Philips noted that the outdoor products will be available in both the Philips Hue white and Philips Hue white and color ambiance ranges. The outdoor devices will be fully compatible with the Philips hue ecosystem and work "in the same way as the indoor range," Philips explained. Users will just have to connect their outdoor lights to their Philips Hue bridges, and the new lights will appear in the Hue app and Apple's Home app so that they can be controlled with taps and through Siri.

philips-hue-outdoor-1.jpg

The new lights include the Philips Hue Lily, which can be used to highlight key features in a garden, and the Philips Hue Calla, which can be placed in the ground and light pathways through outdoor spaces. Philips said the new line is designed for outdoor weather conditions and each fixture is easy to install.
"Our customers are always looking for new ways to extend their smart lighting system and the new Philips Hue outdoor range takes it a huge step further," said Sridhar Kumaraswamy, Business Leader Home Systems & Luminaires at Philips Lighting. "While Philips Hue bulbs and luminaires are available for every area inside your home, we wanted to traverse the threshold and offer connected luminaires designed for outside areas. The Philips Hue outdoor range enables you to make the most of your outside areas, be it creating the ideal ambiance to host a BBQ at the weekend or beautifying your garden."
In terms of price, the Philips Hue outdoor Lily base pack will cost $279.99/EUR299.99, including three lights and "all the accessories you need to get started." The Calla bollard base pack will be the cheaper option at $129.99/EUR139.99. There will also be a number of standalone lighting products in the white range, including Lucca, Tuar, Turaco, and Ludere, with prices starting at $49.99/EUR69.99.

philips-hue-outdoor-2.jpg

The company didn't give any further information on the upcoming Hue app version 3.0 update for iOS and Android devices, expected for Q2 2018. At CES, Philips said the update will "enhance" existing features while also adding in new ones so that Hue lights can be activated "with even more ease."

Article Link: Philips Hue Reveals First Products in Outdoor Lighting Range Coming This July

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
"available in both the Philips Hue white and Philips Hue white and color ambiance ranges."

Imagine taking the 30 seconds to copy/paste into Word or equivalent to avoid posting such mistakes. :rolleyes:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
"available in both the Philips Hue white and Philips Hue white and color ambiance ranges."

Imagine taking the 30 seconds to copy/paste into Word or equivalent to avoid posting such mistakes. :rolleyes:

If you are going to call someone out for making an error you should probably double check to make sure you aren't making one as well.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I guess I'm finding Phillips' announcement to be a bit vague as far as the availability of the bulbs themselves. I have been holding off on buying standard Hue bulbs for our outside lights, knowing that Phillips had some all-weather products coming out in the near future. I was hoping for some all weather standalone bulbs. At first blush, this looks like just the whole fixtures will be available, but then how do you replace the bulbs in those fixtures when they eventually go out? I actually already like our existing outdoor light fixtures and don't want to spend this kind of money replacing them when they're already pretty new-ish. But I would LOVE to have some all-weather Hue bulbs and would pay a premium for them.

It's the perfect use case for sunrise/sunset based automation and would save us energy when we go out of town on vacation. I don't waste money on the light sensing outdoor fixtures because they always break. I was hoping for a Hue based solution in the near future.

Bswails

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
When Apple updates HomeKit will it still be a need for a bridge? I like HomeKit products that just connect to your WiFi or Bluetooth it seems like having to buy a bridge is just extra.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I guess I'm finding Phillips' announcement to be a bit vague as far as the availability of the bulbs themselves. I have been holding off on buying standard Hue bulbs for our outside lights, knowing that Phillips had some all-weather products coming out in the near future. I was hoping for some all weather standalone bulbs. At first blush, this looks like just the whole fixtures will be available, but then how do you replace the bulbs in those fixtures when they eventually go out? I actually already like our existing outdoor light fixtures and don't want to spend this kind of money replacing them when they're already pretty new-ish. But I would LOVE to have some all-weather Hue bulbs and would pay a premium for them.

It's the perfect use case for sunrise/sunset based automation and would save us energy when we go out of town on vacation. I don't waste money on the light sensing outdoor fixtures because they always break. I was hoping for a Hue based solution in the near future.

It wasn't mentioned above, but if you go into their press release they have that info.

The Philips Hue outdoor spot Lily base unit pack will retail for USD 279.99 /EUR 299 and includes three light points and all the accessories you need to get started. The Calla bollard will retail for USD 129.99 / EUR 139.99 as base unit pack. The Philips Hue white range offers a number of products matching the decor of your house. Products in this range are named Lucca, Tuar, Turaco and Ludere (United States only) and retail prices will start from USD 49.99 /EUR 69.99. United States only: the PAR38 lamp will retail for USD 29.99 for a single pack and double pack for USD 49.99.

I'm looking forward to this as well.

Last edited:

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
This is what I've been looking for. I've been trying to find solid all weather smart bulbs for outside. I was going to put some in my new soffit whenever that happens, but this might be easier to drop these into the garden below. Pitch black where I live, my wife would love to be able to flick the lights on or have them come on when we get home!

paulcjones

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2018
I've used a regular Philips Hue bulb in my front door light for well over a year with no issues. It is protected from precipitation, but subject to outdoor temperature extremes.

I have two color bulbs in my enclosed front lights.
I have 5 white bulbs in my open bottomed deck / underdeck lights.

All in New England temperature extremes. They work super reliably, effectively and get the job done.

I will be looking for the pathway lights though!

Knightcastle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
I've used a regular Philips Hue bulb in my front door light for well over a year with no issues. It is protected from precipitation, but subject to outdoor temperature extremes.
Likewise. Two GU10 bulbs outside and two standard shape bulbs.

Also got a motion sensor out there completely unprotected and it has survived precipitation & sub-freezing temperatures.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
It wasn't mentioned above, but if you go into their press release that have that info.

The Philips Hue outdoor spot Lily base unit pack will retail for USD 279.99 /EUR 299 and includes three light points and all the accessories you need to get started. The Calla bollard will retail for USD 129.99 / EUR 139.99 as base unit pack. The Philips Hue white range offers a number of products matching the decor of your house. Products in this range are named Lucca, Tuar, Turaco and Ludere (United States only) and retail prices will start from USD 49.99 /EUR 69.99. United States only: the PAR38 lamp will retail for USD 29.99 for a single pack and double pack for USD 49.99.

I'm looking forward to this as well.
AH--great, thanks! Missed that. Now I'm officially excited again.
[doublepost=1520864492][/doublepost]
When Apple updates HomeKit will it still be a need for a bridge? I like HomeKit products that just connect to your WiFi or Bluetooth it seems like having to buy a bridge is just extra.
I would recommend you look for good deals on a "starter pack" which will include the bridge. When I bought my first set of stuff I got a starter pack from Best Buy that included 10 bulbs, and the cost ended up being about the price of what the 10 bulbs alone were. But yes, it's a little annoying to have to use another bridge. My August Smart Lock and a smart outlet I installed don't need any kind of bridge or hub--they just work in HomeKit once you scan the codes. They have expanded capabilities in their own standalone apps, but certainly can be used without those too.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I wonder how this will work. I had to move my hub around my house until I found a sweet spot where it could communicate with all my bulbs. I'm a bit skeptical my hub would reach outside. My WiFi definitely goes outside but that's not how Hue works apparently. Also wonder if these will be of at watt equivalent needed for outside -- 100 or 120w. Hue bulbs now don't go above 65w equiv.

When LIFX pushed out HomeKit support I vowed to never buy another Hue product. Hubs are a PITA. I don't see the reason for them anymore. Of all my HomeKit devices Hue is the only one that requires a hub or can't ATV as the hub as my August lock does.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
All fine and good but they need indoor 75w and 100w equivalents. Even a 150w equivalent would be welcome for those of us who used to use 50-100-150 bulbs.

Reactions: mdelvecchio

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I wonder how this will work. I had to move my hub around my house until I found a sweet spot where it could communicate with all my bulbs. I'm a bit skeptical my hub would reach outside.

https://developers.meethue.com/documentation/how-hue-works

Hue uses the ZigBee Light Link protocol that includes a sort of mesh setup, so the bulbs can effectively extend the "network" to talk to other bulbs. So if you have Hue lights in the house that are fairly close to the side of the house where the outdoor lights will be, those outdoor lights may be able to communicate with the nearby indoor lights and work.

Reactions: justperry

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

Yeah I hope they have outdoor-rated stand-alone bulbs to use in my own fixtures. I love the Hue bulbs but have absolutely no interest in any of their lamps.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
https://developers.meethue.com/documentation/how-hue-works

Hue uses the ZigBee Light Link protocol that includes a sort of mesh setup, so the bulbs can effectively extend the "network" to talk to other bulbs. So if you have Hue lights in the house that are fairly close to the side of the house where the outdoor lights will be, those outdoor lights may be able to communicate with the nearby indoor lights and work.

Right, but as I was saying that was a big fail in my house -- and it's not that big. I had one bulb on the main level, three on the bedroom level. If I had the hub on the main level the bedroom lights did not work. I moved the hub to several area trying to get all the bulbs to play well with each other. Only until I put the hub in the master bedroom was I able to get all the bulbs working. So, yeah, I have my doubts about getting the bulbs working consistently outside.

OTOH my LIFX bulbs rely only on WiFi so they don't need another bulb or hub nearby -- just a good WiFi signal.

Reactions: justperry

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Right, but as I was saying that was a big fail in my house -- and it's not that big. I had one bulb on the main level, three on the bedroom level. If I had the hub on the main level the bedroom lights did not work. I moved the hub to several area trying to get all the bulbs to play well with each other. Only until I put the hub in the master bedroom was I able to get all the bulbs working. So, yeah, I have my doubts about getting the bulbs working consistently outside.

OTOH my LIFX bulbs rely only on WiFi so they don't need another bulb or hub nearby -- just a good WiFi signal.
Out of curiosity, if you were to change your WiFi password would you need to update it for each individual bulb or is there some kind of central app where you update it and it gets pushed out to all of the bulbs?

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Likewise. Two GU10 bulbs outside and two standard shape bulbs.

Also got a motion sensor out there completely unprotected and it has survived precipitation & sub-freezing temperatures.
Are you just using the standard magnet mount for the sensor? I'd like one outside but I'd be worried about theft and also the sensor being blown off in high wind.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

I'm going to buy standalone HomeKit-compatible bulbs for home. No bridge needed. The bulb itself is controlled (BlueTooth) directly from my HomeKit app/device. I'm going with the Sylvania bulbs for now, nothing fancy.

Here is the Sylvania HK-compatible bulb I'm ordering… no hub required.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075KBHXFP/?coliid=IS84DFR2MZNVC&colid=2HSLJB7D2WWBI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

61XkfsLkOUL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
All fine and good but they need indoor 75w and 100w equivalents. Even a 150w equivalent would be welcome for those of us who used to use 50-100-150 bulbs.
This. I don't get why they still don't have one. I'm using a dumb-LED bulb (Switch brand, now defunct) for my 150 replacements.
[doublepost=1520880058][/doublepost]
It's home Apple or HK that is the issue. Hue uses ZigBee which is a low-power comm protocol. The bulbs don't have wifi antenna or controller chips. Thus, the bridge is needed to translate. Hue would have to re-engineer their bulbs to have on-board wifi controllers. Some brands do this.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Out of curiosity, if you were to change your WiFi password would you need to update it for each individual bulb or is there some kind of central app where you update it and it gets pushed out to all of the bulbs?

For Hue, no since it's run though the hub. You'd just update the hub. For the LIFX, yes, you'd have to reset each bulb. Same would be true for any non-hub HomeKit device. Don't want to think about that. Gives me the hebby-jebbys thinking about update all my devices that use my WiFi -- HomeKit and non-HomeKit alike.

Reactions: bbednarz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.