Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Hi there,

As per this forum you could see my Cog 2016 topics.

I've created a new player from Cog. It's called: phonix

It's based on many Cog code but i've added more features.

One main new feature is a waveform display of the song playing. (that is except for FLAC).

mp3/wav/aiff/mp4 are now displaying a waveform where the song position slider was. Also the O icon is now a white | dash.

Furthermore it only runs on 10.10, 10.11 and macOS Sierra , lower is and will not be supported!

Download link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/0o8wxb (zip = 10.8 mb, unzipped = 27,2 mb (only!))

Well have fun. I mainly made this fork/player for my own needs on the Mac Platform but also want to share it so others can have fun with it.

One more thing: thanks to V.Spader this is all possible.

phonix contains a customised SFBAudioEngine version and SFBaudioEngine is Copyright (c) 2006 - 2016 Stephen F. Booth!

Cheers & enjoy

Last edited:

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
OK - I downloaded it - easy enough

It seems I have to put music into the app - so here are a few questions before I go any further

will it affect the iTunes library files? I am assuming that it is read only if it does in fact use the iTunes library?

does it work with AAC?

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Hi, it does not do anything with iTunes.

It's safe for your iTunes library. Does not write there.. You only need to feed it files. Or map the filetree on the right to a music folder of liking

in your home/Music folder it creates a folder named phonix for storing AU FX settings & last playlist as Default.m3u file

Edit: haven't tested AAC. Could work

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Hi, it does not do anything with iTunes.It's safe for your iTunes library. Does not write there.. You only need to feed it files. Or map the filetree on the right to a music folder of liking in your home/Music folder it creates a folder named phonix for storing AU FX settings & last playlist as Default.m3u file
Edit: haven't tested AAC. Could work

Nice - works pretty good - easy to add music - sounds as good as itunes ( compared on Bose Headphones) with iTunes sound enhancer and sound check off (which makes itunes sound terrible).

I am running it on Sierra PB 10.12 - it crashed the first time I tried the FX effects - but I opened it and palyed some music and closed it to save any needed files and opened again and the effects work fine - no crash.

I like it - simple to use

Reactions: vivo

nebyoolae

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
San Diego, CA
I tried adding music to it, both by using the Folder icon, and dragging and dropping from Finder, but nothing appears in the playlist.

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
phonix V1.5 is done

Download: https://www.sendspace.com/file/8z3pmj
Backup: https://www.sendspace.com/file/1t3njb

Zipped: 8,9 MB Unzipped: 16,1 MB

- auto / fixed sampleRate (see Preferences / OutputPane)
- playlist popup menu @ menu status bar (at the system clock on top) , it's in sync with the main playlist of the main Window, also drag&droppable from e.g. finder :) )
- cleanup + fix routines
- possible fix for 10.10 crash.

Post feedback for bugs please.

fracht

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2016
Hello, it’s nice that someone is updating Cog. Thank you.

Feature requests:
- Gapless playback
- Making the main window a regular window with close, minimize and full screen buttons (basically I want it to play nicely with Moom)
- A light theme
- Making the beginning and end of the song position slider visible and the ability to turn off the waveform display
- A more regular time display
- Double clicking a folder in the side bar should add music
- Capitalizing the program name
- The Title/Album/Artist section in the side bar doesn’t fit visually
- Album art

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Hello here is phonix v1.56 (10.10/10.11/10.12 only)

- fix some mp3's not playing
- all waveform display rendering in ram/memory instead of writing to ~/Music/phonix/tempwaveform.png , also much faster now.
- http streams now show elapsed time in a single display
- cleanup routines and remove unused libs etc.
- option to turn wave display off in phonix preferences and get a normal position slider
- auto / fixed samplerate bugfixes

Downloadlink: https://www.sendspace.com/file/iifpul
Backuplink: https://www.sendspace.com/file/9qu5m0

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
The obvious is not answered...when an ipod, shuffle or touch is connected to the mac...does it interface with this software or not.......???

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
Downloaded it...no way to export music to your ipod...I think the developer did not consider that perhaps, maybe some people might want to add music to their ipod.

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
It's an HQ music player, not a music library manager, sorry forgot to mention....

Reactions: rafark

CharlesCrammond

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2016
Hi

Thank you very much for making this lovely audio player!
It's great to have a light and clean music player that lets me use a file tree and play FLAC and OGG.
I'm using it on MacBook Pro 13" 2014 i5 8GB + Sierra.
I keep my music on an SD Card, in the SD card slot.
Everything is working beautifully, only the very occasional crash as one might expect with new software.

Bugwise, for me, the context menus "Add to Playlist" and "Set as Playlist" are not working.

May I request gapless playback as a feature, I've The Avalanches "Wildflower" on a continuous loop for the last week and gapless would be a wonderful thing to have.

Another feature request would be the search function and tabbed playlists of foobar2000.

Loving the integration with Audio Units, it's enabled me to remove SoundFlower and Au Lab from my system.

Great work.

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
@CharlesCrammond :

Thanks for the feedback. Enjoying it myself too!

- Gapless playback is on my to-do list. Hopefully in the near future
- Search function i'll implement too.
- Tabbed playlists, well i've looked into this and means a major change internally. Not sure if i'll make this

I'll also look into that Add to playlist and Set as Playlist

Cheers

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Screenshot:

avsl1Jv.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.