Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thom75

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Aylesbury, UK
Hi Everyone,

Thank you Vivo for your work on Phonix, It's superb however at the moment I have to use older Cog 2016.
There is little, maybe not really important for OS X users, feature missing in Phonix and with is possibility to read play from NTFS or extFAT formatted partitions/disks. I can list in folder tree on drives but can't add to playlist or play. Would you be able to add this to next version please?

Thanks
Thom

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Hello Thom,

I've just formatted a 16 gb usb stick as exFat with GUID and it works with phonix v1.75. Are you using that version? Also what macOS version are you using?

Thom75

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Aylesbury, UK
Hello Thom,

I've just formatted a 16 gb usb stick as exFat with GUID and it works with phonix v1.75. Are you using that version? Also what macOS version are you using?

Hi Vivo,

I'm using El Capitan 10.11.6 and tried last version 1.75 (1). NTFS formated disk is MBR, other formated extFAT is GUID.

Thanks

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Here is phonix v1.9

- GAPLESS playback (see preferences)

10.7+ downloadlink: https://www.sendspace.com/file/1czu15

10.11+ downloadlink: https://www.sendspace.com/file/zrgbhi
[doublepost=1476714616][/doublepost]@Thom75 can you check if the file permissions are set ok on those disks ? Maybe try "ignore ownership on this volume".

(Get Info in finder on the disks).

I am not sure what causes it on your system but cannot reproduce it. NTFS I'll test when i have an NTFS drive.

Thom75

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Aylesbury, UK
Hi Vivo, believe or not you have fixed problem already. It works from version v1.8. I think problem was with adding files to playlist. I've checked 1.8 and it worked so I left files on playlist. Then I tried 1.75 back again and it was able to play but was not possible add to or replace playlist content.

Would possible to add option to Phonix so playlist will appear as it was in Cog - full program instead simplified playlist?
Another thing I would wish to see is horizontal scrool in folder tree.
Btw wave bar not always is in selected color. I don't see pattern when and why. Please see screenshot.

Many thanks for this great app.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 20.09.11.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 20.09.11.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 379
Last edited:

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Hi Thom,

Thanks for the feedback.

Flac colours for waveform display don't work yet, it's a different routine. Will be fixed in the near future. Other formats work.

If you right-click on a column header (for e.g. Album or Title, there is a popup where you can add more columns if you wish. Is that what you mean? You can also drag columns around to re-order them

Cheers,
Vivo

Thom75

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Aylesbury, UK
Hi Thom,

Thanks for the feedback.

Flac colours for waveform display don't work yet, it's a different routine. Will be fixed in the near future. Other formats work.

If you right-click on a column header (for e.g. Album or Title, there is a popup where you can add more columns if you wish. Is that what you mean? You can also drag columns around to re-order them

Cheers,
Vivo

Hi Vivo,

If you look on screenshot I've attahed previously you will see on left-top main Phonix window and bottom-right simplified playlist which apears when you click icon next to navigation cursors on top system bar. I would prefer old way so main window instead this simpler one. Besides simplefield window not always apear even if icon is clicked couple times. To make it visible is needed to open player main window from dock icon. So I thought if you can add option to preferences to swith between old way (Cog) and new way (Phonix).

Did I clarify it now? Just asking as English is not my first language.

Kind regards
Thom

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Phonix v2.0 update for 10.11+ only

- fix flac waveform colours
- change name to Phonix
- fix filetree submenu functions add to playlist and set as playlist
- menubarplaylistbutton is now a preference to either show phonix mainwindow or floating playlist window
- fix focus on menubarplaylist & menuvolume popup when Phonix is in background.

Download here : https://www.sendspace.com/file/5ptjrh

Thom75

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Aylesbury, UK
Phonix v2.0 build 2

- color preference changes
- reposition slider for the waveform

10.11+ only download: https://www.sendspace.com/file/2e0yop

Hi Vivo,

That's great update, I really love it.

Unfortunately I've found two bugs, one in Autoplay function. App starts playing music but I can't tell this by looking at it. It look like music is stopped. Icon in dock shows square button, wave form is not moving and time is not progressing, level bar not moving/displaying anything. And yet there is more, it stops after first song played, however if you click play it plays as normal.

Second little bug is in the way how Phenix window behave when open from top menu icon.
It's appears but to close it you have to use X button, playlist however disappears after you click menu icon once again. So menu button is ON/OFF for playlist but only ON for Main window.

Thanks
Thom

Joosth

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2016
HK
Any chance of adding a 432Hz setting? I have been dying for a mac player that supports this.

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Joosth , Maybe set AU FX : AuPitch and change to desired hz setting ? It's a default macOS Audio Unit Effect plugin on every mac. -0.32 cents for e.g. / +0.16 cents for 528 Hz (Love Frequency according to a friend of mine who uses these with Phonix + AUPitch)

Joosth

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2016
HK
I have no idea how to do that and I dont seem to have that plugin... I checked the libray - misc - plugins directory, but it's empty.
Oh well, never mind and thanks for the reply

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Hi, just press the FX button in the toolbar en choose : AUPitch and set the cents in there

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Phonix 2.5 BETA
- Tabbars....

10.11+ (only) downloadlink: https://www.sendspace.com/file/u4h2ph

Known bugs are (to be fixed soon)
- dragging tabs around has index issues
- adding tabs after deleting from some tab positions make duplicate tab titles.

When phonix is quit, tabs are saved to ~/Music/Phonix/title.m3u (as .m3u playlist file)
Rename tabs by right clicking on them.

PS. I'd love to see new Apple keyboards with a Touch Bar strip to develop controls for Phonix :)

Enjoy.

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
I could not resist including a video engine.

Phonix v3.0 (yes version bump, this is with Video playback)

10.11+ only download link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/bguf0c

Phonix.app size was ~18mb and is now ~86mb due to video framework.

All major video formats supported.

monosound

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
Hi Vincent, first of all thanks a LOT for developing Phonix and Cog. I've been using Cog for a while now and absolutely love it. Now there's even video playback - fantastic!

Here is a little feature suggestion. I frequently play music for swing and blues dancers and there is something which I have never seen in a player but which would be extremely useful for me and DJs who play music for social dancers - the option of having a couple of seconds of silence between songs (that is, the exact opposite of gapless playback). Between songs dancers need some time to thank their partner, find a new parter and so forth. The feature to "stop after current" is very useful already but even better would be an automatic configurable pause between songs.

And thanks again!

vivo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Hi monosound,

Thanks!

But first of all, I am not Vincent Spader.

I will see if I can implement your wish.

Meanwhile , here is Phonix v3.0 - build 2 that fixes:
- player state + button state together with Video window/player.
- init and crash fixes, video related.

10.11+ download link : https://www.sendspace.com/file/ja9ko7

Enjoy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.