Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BASRPH

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
Central Illinois
What other applications beside Photo do others suggest and/or recommend to store & organize photos. I like to keep shot of each vacation or trip or each holiday get together seperate. Stored in the cloud would be a plus so I could access them from any device.

Reactions: ncovo

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
i'm trying to do the same thing, but only found Google service would be the only option...

It would be good for applications to do the same thing on desktop,, but i haven't found one that does it as good as Google Photos : https://google.com/photos . or maybe Picassa but even that would be limited in its own right.

While photos on Mac is good, the tagging stays in Photos,,, its not attached to the image, so for me that's a pain in the ** if i want share the photos, and realize all my photos are mucked up again on Apple TV, or a PC.

You would think they'd be universal application that does the same job as Google.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I'm old-fashioned and just sort my photos/pictures manually into folders. :¬)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with Pakaku above.

Once you select a particular app to "manage" your photos, and permit it to create its own database containing your originals, you become something of a slave to that app.

Back some time ago, I decided to keep my original photos (i.e., "out-of-the-camera") in a folder/file hierarchy of my own creation. I give the folders names that are meaningful to me, with a date, etc.

I then set my Photo editing app of choice to "reference" that library, and NOT to import the originals.

A little more work this way, but now my masters are available to -any- editing app that I want to use...

highlystrange

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2015
ÜT: 42.710806,-71.447929
I agree with Pakaku and Fishrrman, above. Especially as I'm trying to move away from Aperture, I see the benefit of using a manual files + folders approach. A little more work in the beginning, perhaps, but then any editing program can access my photos. Be sure to give each photo a personally meaningful name, etc.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Once you select a particular app to "manage" your photos, and permit it to create its own database containing your originals, you become something of a slave to that app.

This is not necessarily the case. Some DAMs (Digital Asset Managers) allow you to control the folder arrangement so that you can have a human-readable and manageable folder structure.

One such app is Adobe Lightroom. My personal Lr setup involves me manually moving files, either in Windows Explorer (or Finder is I was on a Mac like I am at work) from the camera's card or phone and placing them in my desired folder arrangement. It's a simple matter to then run Lr and choose "Add" in the Import screen to add the images to Lr's database without altering their placement on my HD. I can, and do at work, use Lr's Import screen to do the card to HD copy and still have my own control over the target location and folder name.

With this workflow, I have the advantage of being able to use Lr's very powerful management functions (e.g. Collections that allow me to have one for "Karen's 50th birthday party" and another for "My Beautiful Wife" with some images in both collections while having only one actual copy on my disk, which might have some completely different folder name). If I ever leave Lr behind, I'm still able to navigate my image's folder structure manually with everything in folders named in a manner that I can understand and use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.