Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Photos-App-Icon-250x250.jpg
Apple's native Photos application got an update with the release of macOS High Sierra, including new library browsing features, a reorganized editing window, enhanced image recognition, and some additional tools to help make your photos look even better. Keep reading to find out what's new in the Photos app.

Browsing the Photos Library

Apple has tweaked the main Library interface in Photos. Whereas previous versions of Photos let you use tabs along the top of the screen in place of an optional sidebar, Apple has now fully embraced the latter as the main navigation area, and has also added a draggable selection counter to the browser that you use to move or export batches of photos.

The new sidebar is divided into five sections: Library, Devices, Shared, Albums, and Projects. The Library section is where you can select from different browsing options, including Memories, Favorites, People, Places, and a useful new option called Imports, which organizes your photos based on when they were imported into your library.

Screen-Shot-4-1-800x562.jpg

The Shared section contains links to any shared albums you've created, while likes and comments appear in the Activity feed. The Albums section meanwhile contains two collapsible sub-sections called Media Types and My Albums. Media Types contains auto-generated views of your photos filtered by Selfies, Panoramas, Live Photos, and the like, while My Albums contains all the albums you have manually created. Lastly, Projects is where any books, cards, calendars, prints, or slideshows you're working on appear.

The Editing Window

The Photos app also got a reorganized editing window in High Sierra. In addition to the sidebar, there's now a toolbar along the top of the screen with three tabs that let you toggle through three different editing sidebars, making for a less cluttered interface all around. Notice too that the One-click Enhance option is now an icon at the top right of the screen, next to the Done button. 

Screen-Shot-3-1-800x965.jpg

The Crop tab corrals the traditional crop functions in the sidebar, while the Filters tab is home to an enhanced selection of image filter presets, each with three variations to choose from - Vivid, Dramatic, and Black and White.

Selecting the Adjust tab switches the sidebar to all the usual advanced editing tools, including two new ones, Curves and Selective Color. The triangle beside each tool allows you to expand it for more options, or collapse it to make room for others.

Live Photos

Apple has introduced additional tools for editing Live Photos, including the ability to manually select the static image that represents the clip. This is achieved by adjusting the slider at the bottom of the editing window and selecting Make Key Photo.

Screen-Shot-1-3-800x534.jpg

You can also now trim Live Photos, and even apply effects such as a Boomerang-like back-and-forth effect and an ethereal Long Exposure style, similar to when a shutter has been left open for a long time. The icons at the bottom left of the editing window let you mute the clip or turn off Live Photo entirely.

Third-Party Photo Editor Support

Lastly, Apple has enhanced the integration of its native Photos app with third-party apps, which should come as good news to those looking to broaden their editing options.

For example, it's now possible to open a photo in a third-party app right from within your Photos Library. Not only that, any edits that you make within that third-party app are automatically saved back to your Photos library.

pixelmatorpro-800x450.jpg

A number of popular third-party apps have already announced their support for Apple Photos, including Pixelmator Pro, Aurora HDR, Luminar, and Creative Kit. Several photo printers have also signed up, including Whitewall and Shutterfly. You can find more apps that support Photos by checking out the new dedicated section in the Mac App Store, which can also be accessed from within the Photos app.

Article Link: All the New Features in Apple's Photos App in macOS High Sierra

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
This, combined with Pixelmator Pro (don't let me down!) and I think I'll finally retire Aperture.

MrSimmo

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Its a real shame that although they have really polished up the Photos capability across IOS and the Mac, sharing photos using iCloud photo sharing still force resizes the images. Means we still have to use third party (Google Photos for example) platforms to share photos at full resolution easily :-(

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Its a real shame that although they have really polished up the Photos capability across IOS and the Mac, sharing photos using iCloud photo sharing still force resizes the images. Means we still have to use third party (Google Photos for example) platforms to share photos at full resolution easily :-(
Not to mention that those with large (10,000+ images) still will need to offload to a third party as even just the thumbnails of these images will eat tremendous amounts of storage on your phone.

thenightfly42

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2005
I have some cropping questions, which are the reasons that I'm still using iPhoto.

If you set a crop ratio (say, 2:3 landscape) on a photo, then open the next photo, will the crop ratio be preset to my setting, or will it default back to freeform cropping?

Are there any keyboard commands for setting landscape/portrait mode, or if not, is it scriptable?

paul987

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2013
I'm actually still using iPhoto because I never liked that Photos dropped iPhoto's "Events" functionality. I like categorizing my photos into discrete containers, and the Albums functionality of Photos is just not the same because a photo can be in multiple Albums or in no albums at all. With iPhoto you know that every photo is in one and only one Event. If anyone has come up with a way to replicate similar functionality with Photos please let me know.

Last edited:

ep2002

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
paul987 I just wrote to say that I’m also in agreement with you. I felt “forced” to update from Aperture and iPhoto to take advantage of the new features of Photos app. It did transfer all my events into “albums” in my Events folder, but I do missing the simplicity of importing and automatically generating new events by date. This is. It a “clunky” manual process.

Any advise for organizing is appreciated

I'm actually still using iPhoto because I never liked that Photos dropped iPhoto's "Events" functionality. I like categorizing my photos into discrete containers, and the Albums functionality of Photos is just not the same because a photo can be in multiple Albums or in no albums at all. If anyone has come up with a way to replicate similar functionality with Photos please let me know.

audiophilosophy

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New Orleans
I sure hope they finally got the Photos app to handle "hidden" photos and albums like iPhoto used to. What they did with "hidden" photos when they transitioned from iPhoto to Photos was a complete fail. Makes you wonder who allows these kind of things to happen at Apple.

ImBuz

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
California
Wish there was a message popping up whenever someone tries to shoot video in portrait mode. Or even better an electric shock. Just a mild reminder to turn the phone. :)
Isn't this the truth--just impossible to show folks how to do it--been trying for years

Reactions: arkitect

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I’ve always wondered, can you edit a photo and click ‘revert to original’ at any point in the future?

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
paul987 I just wrote to say that I’m also in agreement with you. I felt “forced” to update from Aperture and iPhoto to take advantage of the new features of Photos app. It did transfer all my events into “albums” in my Events folder, but I do missing the simplicity of importing and automatically generating new events by date. This is. It a “clunky” manual process.

Any advise for organizing is appreciated

Truth be told, I spent months originally organizing albums. I have the some of the same photos in multiple albums. With tons of different categories.

At first, I really liked it and was proud, but then it became a chore. I grew tired of having to organize every time I imported.

Now I just dump them and don't organize them. I'm sure once my wife and I have kids I will, but now I just let them go.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: ep2002

benlukes

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2014
When Photos first came out they removed the ability to add any arbitrary location to a photo (it had to be a place that you could type into a text box and Apple could find...not good for backcountry photos). Has this been fixed yet? I'm still in iPhoto, mostly for this reason.

ColG

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2014

Photos-App-Icon-250x250.jpg
Apple's native Photos application got an update with the release of macOS High Sierra, including new library browsing features, a reorganized editing window, enhanced image recognition, and some additional tools to help make your photos look even better. Keep reading to find out what's new in the Photos app.

Browsing the Photos Library

Apple has tweaked the main Library interface in Photos. Whereas previous versions of Photos let you use tabs along the top of the screen in place of an optional sidebar, Apple has now fully embraced the latter as the main navigation area, and has also added a draggable selection counter to the browser that you use to move or export batches of photos.

The new sidebar is divided into five sections: Library, Devices, Shared, Albums, and Projects. The Library section is where you can select from different browsing options, including Memories, Favorites, People, Places, and a useful new option called Imports, which organizes your photos based on when they were imported into your library.

Screen-Shot-4-1-800x562.jpg

The Shared section contains links to any shared albums you've created, while likes and comments appear in the Activity feed. The Albums section meanwhile contains two collapsible sub-sections called Media Types and My Albums. Media Types contains auto-generated views of your photos filtered by Selfies, Panoramas, Live Photos, and the like, while My Albums contains all the albums you have manually created. Lastly, Projects is where any books, cards, calendars, prints, or slideshows you're working on appear.

The Editing Window

The Photos app also got a reorganized editing window in High Sierra. In addition to the sidebar, there's now a toolbar along the top of the screen with three tabs that let you toggle through three different editing sidebars, making for a less cluttered interface all around. Notice too that the One-click Enhance option is now an icon at the top right of the screen, next to the Done button.

Screen-Shot-3-1-800x965.jpg

The Crop tab corrals the traditional crop functions in the sidebar, while the Filters tab is home to an enhanced selection of image filter presets, each with three variations to choose from - Vivid, Dramatic, and Black and White.

Selecting the Adjust tab switches the sidebar to all the usual advanced editing tools, including two new ones, Curves and Selective Color. The triangle beside each tool allows you to expand it for more options, or collapse it to make room for others.

Live Photos

Apple has introduced additional tools for editing Live Photos, including the ability to manually select the static image that represents the clip. This is achieved by adjusting the slider at the bottom of the editing window and selecting Make Key Photo.

Screen-Shot-1-3-800x534.jpg

You can also now trim Live Photos, and even apply effects such as a Boomerang-like back-and-forth effect and an ethereal Long Exposure style, similar to when a shutter has been left open for a long time. The icons at the bottom left of the editing window let you mute the clip or turn off Live Photo entirely.

Lastly, Apple has enhanced the integration of its native Photos app with third-party apps, which should come as good news to those looking to broaden their editing options.

For example, it's now possible to open a photo in a third-party app right from within your Photos Library. Not only that, any edits that you make within that third-party app are automatically saved back to your Photos library.

pixelmatorpro-800x450.jpg

A number of popular third-party apps have already announced their support for Apple Photos, including Pixelmator Pro, Aurora HDR, Luminar, and Creative Kit. Several photo printers have also signed up, including Whitewall and Shutterfly. You can find more apps that support Photos by checking out the new dedicated section in the Mac App Store, which can also be accessed from within the Photos app.

Article Link: All the New Features in Apple's Photos App in macOS High Sierra
[doublepost=1506422571][/doublepost]You say -

None of the apps I have tried -Affinity Photo, Luminar, Topaz Studio, will save the edited file back to the Apple Photos library

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013

So does this mean that the standard/current version of Pixelmator does not work with the "Edit in..." menu/feature?

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Can I rotate videos yet?

I've only been asking for a decade...
At least it can be done in QuickTime, but yeah, internal rotation would be nice to save time.

I’m still waiting for one of these companies to make a feature on their smartphone camera where the phone records in square format behind the scenes so the user can go back and change a video from portrait to landscape. Too many vertical videos out there.

zilba25

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
don't know why, but editing in external editor pixelmator doesn't save the changes back in the Photos. anyone has the same problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.