Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pioneer today announced a pair of new smart Lightning earphones, the Rayz and Rayz Plus. The Plus model includes a built-in Lightning port that allows users to charge their phone while listening to music. Pioneer says it's the "first and only" Lightning headset with a built-in "charging node."

While the regular Rayz do not include a Lightning port, both models use Avnera's LightX technology, which allows the headphones to "operate in modes that use the lowest power possible" from an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

Both models also come with six microphones that can enable several smart features, which can be activated by an accompanying app that will be released in the future. Smart Noise Cancellation scans the user's ear and environment to optimize the noise cancellation for that specific situation. Pioneer says the noise cancellation covers "everyday life," including commuting and school environments. The earphones also have HearThruä mode, which allow enough outside noise to keep users engaged with what's going on around them.

Like Apple's AirPods, the Rayz also have sensors that stop and start the music when a user puts the earphones in or out of their ears. When not in a user's ears, the Rayz automatically enter low power mode to save battery power. The earphones also come with a one-button click to mute the mic during a call and a programmable smart button.

The Rayz app allows users to customize the sound the earphones deliver as well as programming the smart button. In addition, Pioneer says the app will allow the earphones to gain additional features in the future.

The regular Rayz earphones will retail for $99.95 in both Onyx black and Ice white while the Rayz Plus will retail for $149.95 in both metallic Graphic and Bronze. They'll be available to purchase on OneCall.com in the future.

Article Link: Pioneer's New 'Rayz' Lightning Earphones Come With Built-In iPhone-Charging Port

AppleZilla

Suspended
Jul 23, 2010
Beats X, which sound good but are uncomfortable and the cables and controls are cludgy, just got served. Still hoping for in-ear AirPods, but in the meantime, I'll try these.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
But wait. I thought the Lightning port did not have any advantages over the 3.5 and was just so Apple could sell more dongles? Where are those naysayers now?

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
All that technology and high design, and all the BOYZ at Pioneer could come up with for a name is "RAYZ?"

No thankz.

Since the only branding on them is the word "Pioneer", maybe they'll find a few customers that aren't so ridiculously shallow and pouty that the name would make any difference whatsoever in their decision?
I mean, c'mon... how do you even see anything from atop that high horse?? They're called "Rayz", not "Adolfs"; you might be overreacting by boycotting them, lol.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Since the only branding on them is the word "Pioneer", maybe they'll find a few customers that aren't so ridiculously shallow and pouty that the name would make any difference whatsoever in their decision?
I mean, c'mon... how do you even see anything from atop that high horse?? They're called "Rayz", not "Adolfs"; you might be overreacting by boycotting them, lol.

High horse? Boycott? Lol. Know what you call a marketing department that knowingly aims for only a few "un-shallow" customers that completely ignore brand image and only make decisions objectively? "Less than successful."

Anyway, in the huge gray area between "perfect compelling product name" and "namesake of vile war criminal/dictator" I'm not sure I would have gone with "juvenile and base 'spelling gag' most often associated with a franchised fast-food sandwich shop." But one of my favorite things is when people make extreme exaggerations for comedic effect. Thanks for that. ;)

Reactions: Tycho24

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
High horse? Boycott? Lol. Know what you call a marketing department that knowingly aims for only a few "un-shallow" customers that completely ignore brand image and only make decisions objectively? "Less than successful."

Anyway, in the huge gray area between "perfect compelling product name" and "namesake of vile war criminal/dictator" I'm not sure I would have gone with "juvenile and base 'spelling gag' most often associated with a franchised fast-food sandwich shop." But one of my favorite things is when people make extreme exaggerations for comedic effect. Thanks for that. ;)

Lol, you're one of those lot that SWORE there'd never be an "iPad" because it sounds too much like a feminine napkin product & nobody will buy it with such a silly name, huh?
I remember you guys.
Y'all crack me up as well!! ;0)

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Lol, you're one of those lot that SWORE there'd never be an "iPad" because it sounds too much like a feminine napkin product & nobody will buy it with such a silly name, huh?
I remember you guys.
Y'all crack me up as well!! ;0)

Got me there! But as you know, Apple (whose products suck and/or are overpriced and/or are doomed, if you read the comments around here) is the outlier to outlie all outliers when it comes to marketing miracles. If I had a share of AAPL for every time I said "there's no way people will pay that much for that laptop/watch/phone/box/dongle..."

Reactions: Tycho24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.