Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google's newest flagship smartphones, the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL, are officially launching later this week. With their high-quality cameras, fast processors, and other improvements, the new devices are direct competitors to Apple's newly released iPhone XS models.

We were able to get our hands on the new Pixel 3 and Pixel 3XL ahead of their debut, and in our latest YouTube video, we compared the Google Pixel 3 XL camera to Apple's iPhone XS Max camera to see which one reigns supreme.

Both the Pixel 3 and the Pixel 3 XL are equipped with a single-lens 12-megapixel rear camera system, while the iPhone XS Max uses a dual-lens camera system that features a 12-megapixel wide-angle lens and a 12-megapixel telephoto lens.

iphonexsmaxpixel3xllandscape-800x450.jpg

The two camera system allows the iPhone XS Max to do things like capture Portrait Mode images with an adjustable depth of field and a blurred background, but the Pixel 3 XL has much of the same functionality enabled through software.

iphonexsmaxpixel3xllHDR-800x450.jpg

Like the iPhone XS Max, the Pixel 3 XL features a Portrait Mode. With its newest devices, Apple introduced some improvements to Portrait Mode with the A12 Bionic chip, and that gave it the edge over the Pixel 3 XL in our image tests. The Pixel 3 XL won out when it came to edge detection in most cases, with less blurring in areas we didn't want blurred, but iPhone XS Max Portrait Mode images were sharper.

iphonexsmaxpixel3xlportrait-800x450.jpg

Google advertises a new "Super Res" zoom in the Pixel 3 XL, but the single-lens camera system can't compete with Apple's telephoto lens.

With the iPhone XS Max, Apple introduced a new Smart HDR feature that takes multiple images at different exposures and combines them for one ideal shot. Google's Pixel 3 XL has a similar HDR+ mode that does the same thing to eke out more detail in photos with a lot of variation in lighting.

iphonexsmaxpixel3xllowlightlandscape-800x450.jpg

In our testing, we preferred the Smart HDR on the iPhone because it was able to preserve more detail without blowing out bright areas like the sky, but the Pixel 3 XL was not far behind.

Google's Pixel 3 XL uses a Night Sight feature that's designed to create brighter, clearer photos than the iPhone XS Max can produce. Night Sight isn't available at launch, but will be coming to the Pixel phones later and could give the devices a serious edge over the XS Max.

iphonexsmaxpixel3xllowlight2-800x450.jpg

In our low light photo tests, both performed well, but the Pixel 3 XL demonstrated more noise and grain than low-light photos taken with the iPhone XS Max. In Portrait Mode, though, the Pixel 3 XL outperformed the iPhone XS Max.

iphonexspixel3xllowlight-800x450.jpg

While the Pixel 3 XL has a single-lens rear camera, Google has implemented a two-camera system at the front of the device with two 8-megapixel cameras for taking selfies. The iPhone XS Max, meanwhile, has a single-lens 7-megapixel front-facing camera and TrueDepth camera system that allows it to capture the same Portrait Mode photos as the rear camera system.

Because Google is using two cameras, there are front-facing features not available on the iPhone XS Max, such as a wider-angle lens that captures 184 percent more of a scene to enable group selfies.

pixel3xlselfielenses2-800x450.jpg

When it comes to front-facing camera systems, the Pixel 3 XL definitely beats the iPhone XS Max. Front-facing Portrait Mode photos look great on both devices, but the group selfie mode is something Apple can't compete with.

The camera systems in the iPhone XS Max and Google Pixel 3 XL both have their strengths and weaknesses, but when it comes down to it, both are so good that determining which one is better is a matter of preference.

iphonexsmaxpixel3xlportraitbeer-800x450.jpg

Photos from the iPhone XS Max, for example, tend to be a bit more even in color than the overly cool or warm-toned photos coming from the Pixel 3 XL, which some people prefer and others don't. iPhone XS Max images also come out a bit darker due to the Smart HDR feature that preserves detail, which is another visual difference that may influence opinion towards one camera or the other.

Bottom line, though, both the iPhone XS Max and the Pixel 3 XL produce impressive images that are better than both the previous-generation iPhone X and the Pixel 2 smartphones, and both are closer than ever to overtaking more traditional handheld cameras.

You can see all of the full resolution photos that we took with the Pixel 3 XL and the iPhone XS Max in this Imgur album that we created. Do you prefer Pixel 3 XL photos or iPhone XS Max photos? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Google Pixel 3 XL vs. iPhone XS Max: Which Camera Reigns Supreme?

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Very intrigued to see how it comes out now that people are getting their hands on both. I think this will be closer than the X vs Pixel 2

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
It would have been more helpful if the full-res image links were posted underneath each picture. The small-sized samples embedded in the review are near useless to discern the differences.

That said, the cameras on both are excellent and it's really down to personal preference which one prefers.

Last edited:

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Difficult to see the differences in these small sample images. I think some of the photos on the left retain more fine detail but some other the pictures on the right look overall my pleasing.

Reactions: dilbert99

imtiktok

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2018
I would estimate 8 of 10 reviews I've read online this past week have Google's phone taking better pics than Apple's. Can MR parse specs anymore thinner to justify their closer "Both phones have their advantages & drawbacks"? Seems a bit petty to me.

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
The big question ..... will dxomark still be relevant on MR if it scores pixel higher :p

For what’s it worth, I don’t think they are relevant either way:)

Reactions: Guscat

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
These comparisons are just stupid IMO. Every flagship phone is basically the same quality. Let's be honest and focus on something else.

I don't think anybody could seriously tell me that there isn't a huge quality difference in these two photos below.

XS Max:
PNMJbd7.jpg

Pixel 3:
gAHT6Ei.jpg

EDIT: Not my pictures FYI, I took them from the Imgur album linked in the original article.

Last edited:

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Both seem very good. iPhone tends to be warmer and softer. Pixel is cooler and harsher. Really it's a preference thing, and whether you'll be spending more time with selfies (Pixel wins) or traditional shots (iPhone wins).

Honestly, I don't like the idea of Night Sight (based on the marketing shots). I don't want nighttime pictures to look as if they were taken in the daytime... I want them realistically dim, sharp, and low-noise.

The hugely differentiating factor to me is video, which this post doesn't discuss. The iPhone is MILES better than the Pixel when it comes to videos, especially when you factor in audio quality. This is true for both front and rear cameras.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
The feature that allows better night shots on the Pixel is not enabled yet I understand.

Will be interesting to see comparisons when all the features mentioned are working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.