Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pixelmator Pro for Mac, Pixelmator's higher-end editing software, was today updated with support for masks from Portrait Mode photos.

When you open up a photo taken with an iPhone that offers Portrait Mode, Pixelmator Pro will open the photo itself along with a useful layer mask for doing things like swapping out the background in just a few minutes.

pixelmatorpro-800x450.jpg

The portrait mask uses the depth information from the iPhone to isolate the subject of a photo, making it easy to remove background elements with little effort.

The Portrait mask feature is limited to the Pixelmator Pro software, and it is not available on the standard version of Pixelmator or the Pixelmator app for iOS devices.

Pixelmator Pro has been around since late 2017 and it has seen several major updates since then with the Pixelmator team introducing useful new functionality on a regular basis. Pixelmator Pro can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $39.99, and there is a free trial available on the Pixelmator website. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator Pro Introduces Support for Portrait Mode Depth Masks for Easy Background Swapping

Reactions: 341328

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011
I use Focos on my iPhone to mask out the background and then transfer the photo to mobile Pixelmator so I can add another photo as a background.

Reactions: sidewinder3000

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
great tool although yet again "PRO" software focusing on iToys and still missing things like colour overlay.

Don't get me wrong, this feature is cool but I would like to see other things first
What is an “itoys”?

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
For the folks out there, there's also an alternative - well not exactly. There's a web-based AI app that removes backgrounds from people and works extremely well. Only downside is - to download higher resolution photos you need to pay, but it's not much.

https://www.remove.bg/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.