Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pixelmator today updated its pro image editing software, Pixelmator Pro, to version 1.1.4 to add new effects, a new Auto Selective Color adjustment tool that's powered by Core ML, and more.

The Auto Selective Color feature allows selective color adjustments to be applied automatically to images to improve specific colors using machine learning.

pixelmatorpro.jpg

A new Light Leak effect adds a sunny, vintage feel to photos, while a Bokeh effect can add artistic camera blur. There's a new Spin Blur to create circular motion effects, and a Noise effect lets you add digital noise to photos.

Other new effects include Threshold, Mask to Alpha, Clouds, and other Tile and Distort effects pulled from the original Pixelmator app.

A long list of improvements have been made to existing tools. Auto White Balance and Auto Lightness, for example, better preserve skin tones and are 30 percent faster. The Color Adjustments and Effects submenus offer up Copy, Paste, Reset and Flatten Adjustment options, and there's a new keyboard shortcut (O) for Show Original when using various tools.

A full list of improvements and bug fixes are available in the Pixelmator Pro release notes.

In celebration of back to school, Pixelmator is discounting Pixelmator Pro to $29.99, a $30 discount off of the original $59.99 price tag. Pixelmator Pro can be downloaded from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator Pro Gains Core ML-Powered Auto Selective Color Adjustment and New Effects

dannynjoni

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010

Pixelmator today updated its pro image editing software, Pixelmator Pro, to version 1.1.4 to add new effects, a new Auto Selective Color adjustment tool that's powered by Core ML, and more.

The Auto Selective Color feature allows selective color adjustments to be applied automatically to images to improve specific colors using machine learning.

pixelmatorpro.jpg

A new Light Leak effect adds a sunny, vintage feel to photos, while a Bokeh effect can add artistic camera blur. There's a new Spin Blur to create circular motion effects, and a Noise effect lets you add digital noise to photos.

Other new effects include Threshold, Mask to Alpha, Clouds, and other Tile and Distort effects pulled from the original Pixelmator app.

A long list of improvements have been made to existing tools. Auto White Balance and Auto Lightness, for example, better preserve skin tones and are 30 percent faster. The Color Adjustments and Effects submenus offer up Copy, Paste, Reset and Flatten Adjustment options, and there's a new keyboard shortcut (O) for Show Original when using various tools.

A full list of improvements and bug fixes are available in the Pixelmator Pro release notes.

In celebration of back to school, Pixelmator is discounting Pixelmator Pro to $29.99, a $30 discount off of the original $59.99 price tag. Pixelmator Pro can be downloaded from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator Pro Gains Core ML-Powered Auto Selective Color Adjustment and New Effects
[doublepost=1536257024][/doublepost]Might be time to try this out.

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Is this still an impulse buy at the discounted rate or worth waiting to go down a bit more?

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Is there any way to purchase it from AppStore while it's on discount but without having access to a Mac.. on w Windows PC? Apparently, it sells only on the AppStore and no way to purchase from outside on PixelMator's website.
Plan to get updated MacBook later, so it would be good to get this app while on discount

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Is there any way to purchase it from AppStore while it's on discount but without having access to a Mac.. on w Windows PC? Apparently, it sells only on the AppStore and no way to purchase from outside on PixelMator's website.
Plan to get updated MacBook later, so it would be good to get this app while on discount
If you have an AppleID already you can create a temporary user on a friend’s Mac login only in Mac App Store (don’t setup iCloud for example) and buy it. Then delete the account.

Reactions: ckurt25

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
$30 is really a low price for the software. Pixelmator is usually at the forefront of latest technologies Apple brings out, IIRC.
Exactly, especially considering this is a "one time buy" and not an absurd overpriced subscription based app like some other apps.

So kudos to the Pixelmator team for not falling into the subscription model fad (yet, atleast)

Reactions: macintoshmac

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Does anyone have the pro one and the regular one? I have Pixelmator already and don’t know if it’s work going to pro

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I do simple things with the regular version; crop, lighten shadows, dim highlights, add a little contrast, band-aid dust spots and power lines, magic wand and fix colors, resize...stuff like that. Does the pro version do any of these simple things better? I'm mostly taking snapshots of things, no art shots...unless the camera accidentally goes off while pointing in the right direction.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
In celebration of back to school, Pixelmator is discounting Pixelmator Pro to $29.99, a $30 discount off of the original $59.99 price tag.

Or €32.99 in Europe.

So kudos to the Pixelmator team for not falling into the subscription model fad (yet, at least)

The problem is, too many people are stupid, if no-one would fall for that crap they would be forced to go back.

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Or €32.99 in Europe.
[doublepost=1536264584][/doublepost]

The problem is, too many people are stupid, if no-one would fall for that crap they would be forced to go back.

That is why their pricing in INR was not matching with USD. It is more like EUR33 here in India instead of USD30.

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
Been using Pixelmator for a few years now. But have been looking at Affinity Photo.

So what to do. Buy Pixelmator Pro while on discount, or is Affinity Photo worth the extra? I've heard very good things about it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I switched from Pixelmator to Affinity but honestly still use Photoshop a lot too because my work pays for it.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Pixelamator lacking two key features:
1) Put a pivot point on a specific part. I do a lot of animation (e.g. cartoon elbow/knee pivots useful) and was bummed when they pulled this feature out of Pixelmator a few years ago and never put it back. Why????
2) If you have a bunch of layers in a group (e.g. a truck with wheels, cab, crate, etc.) and you want to edit some of these layers together (e.g. Exposure or Color to wheels and cab only), you should be able to select ONLY those layers you want to edit...and do so. But nope, can't do it. Have to do apply edits to each layer one at a time. Time waster.

Other than that I think it is a good program. I just hope they don't take anything out of the base version to "dumb it down" so people have to buy the "pro" version to get back the "stolen" features. Have seen this done by other companies and it sucks.

Reactions: miniyou64

Chaka Jon

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Palm Springs
I’m still paying the coins for Adobe CC. Just can’t give it up yet. Creature of habit, I suppose.

I have the original Pixelmator app for Mac and only use it to edit stuff I’ve done on the iOS app — which I use almost every day.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Exactly, especially considering this is a "one time buy" and not an absurd overpriced subscription based app like some other apps.

So kudos to the Pixelmator team for not falling into the subscription model fad (yet, atleast)
Well you either pay for updates or pay for a subscription. It's similar either way. I do prefer the former, what Adobe used to do, but purely because it means I don't need sketchy background tasks running to manage my subscription.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I was just fooling around with Pixelmator Pro and it might be because I just purchase a new camera (Sony A7R II) but I have yet to like any of my color adjustments. I prefer that camera raw images straight out of the camera and I have to say this is the very first time this has happened to me. I also have to add that I haven't really done much in Pixelmator Pro for I'm more comfortable in Photoshop.

R10k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2017
In order or capabilities...

Pixelmator
Pixelmator Pro
Affinity Photo
Photoshop

Pixelmator is a beginners app. Pixelmator Pro is Pixelmator with a few more functions. It’s not a pro level app at all, but it is very accessible, especially if you’re familiar with Apple’s Photos. Both apps can do do a lot - neither is bad, but they lack advanced options.

Affinity Photo is where you start getting options to do pro level work. Photoshop’s algorithms are superior in many areas compared to Affinity, but for many, many people, Affinity is more than enough.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Been using Pixelmator for a few years now. But have been looking at Affinity Photo.

So what to do. Buy Pixelmator Pro while on discount, or is Affinity Photo worth the extra? I've heard very good things about it.

I've been hanging on, waiting for Affinity to release, or at least confirm or deny, their supposedly upcoming "Lightroom" type app.

Then I'll probably make the jump to Affinity Photo, although Pixelmator standard does everything I need right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.