Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The success of Pokemon Go has had many real-world ramifications recently, including cautionary tales of car accidents, thieves using the game to stage robberies, and Nintendo's shares jumping 25%, or $7.5 billion, in days. The new augmented reality game is also driving business to local restaurants and bars, according to a new report from Bloomberg.

pokemon-go-image.jpg
Food and drink sales spiked by about 30 percent compared to a typical weekend, according to [L'Inizio's Pizzar Bar] manager Sean Benedetti. It was part luck--the game chooses which public locations to imbue with special significance in its virtual world--but there was also savvy strategy. Benedetti, 29, spent about $10 on "Lure Modules," an in-game purchase that attracts Pokémon to a specified location. Players soon picked up on the fact that L'inizio's was well worth visiting. "People are coming out of the woodwork because of this game," he said.
Pacific Standard co-owner Ryan Kahl told Bloomberg that while the game has increased foot traffic in his Brooklyn-based bar, he hasn't yet seen the traffic translate into business. "We had one guy run to the back because he had a rare Pokemon," he said. "It's been a little weird." However, Kahl said he had not tried to see if using "Lure Modules" would make a difference, noting that he's hoping it gets hot enough that adventuring players need to refuel.

Pokemon Go. Got. Real. (Thanks, @Clatham78) pic.twitter.com/fjrtOw97CD - James Bartholomeou (@Iyagovos) July 8, 2016

Some businesses have taken to hanging up signs alerting players how it does or does not support the game. Pacific Standard, for example, hung up a sign saying "Pokemon are for paying customers ONLY!", although Kahl says it was a joke. A Dairy Queen in Texas also put up a similar sign. Other businesses, however, have alerted customers to in-store discounts for meeting certain parameters within a game, like using a "Lure Module" or being a part of one of the game's teams.

Other locations, like Internet Archive's Washington office, have found themselves unable to financially take advantage of the attention. Many of the game's gyms are churches or other public establishments, and former churches and establishments can still be crowned as gyms. The group eventually put up a sign letting players know that they were welcome to battle at the gym, but to not disturb their staff, according to Bloomberg. Designer Boon Sheridan, who lives in a former church, has seen his home transformed into a gym.

Living in an old church means many things. Today it means my house is a Pokémon Go gym. This should be fascinating. - Boon Sheridan (@boonerang) July 9, 2016

Nintendo, Niantic and The Pokemon Company plan to make improvements to Pokemon Go, including the ability to trade Pokemon with other players. While business owners indicated to Bloomberg that they'd be interested in working with the companies to promote their businesses through the game, it's unclear if Nintendo is open to that idea.

Pokemon Go is available in the App Store for free [Direct Link] for users in the United States, Australia and New Zealand. The game is expected to roll out to the United Kingdom and other countries in the near future after server issues are sorted out.

Article Link: 'Pokemon Go' Driving Foot Traffic to Local Businesses

Fishcake21

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
I knew there was an app that will bring peace between iPhone and Android users, as well as raking extra dough to make everyone happy. Only Nintendo!

Reactions: tennisproha

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Because I was curious, gave it a try. Pales in comparison to Ingress, which helps you learn interesting landmarks in your area, and just provides much, much, more depth. But, getting people to go outside, is a great feature of both!

I never played ingress, but i just started playing this game today to see what the fuss was about. I did learn about some interesting landmarks near where I work. o_O

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes today, people are literally playing this thing everywhere.

A buddy showed me the game but I wont download it. It's not really something I need in my life lol

Reactions: Avieshek

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I was eating outside at Chipotle over the weekend and saw a hoard of guys all staring at their phones, entering the store. One of them yelled, "There's one over there!" I asked one of the guys, "Dude, are you guys playing Pokemon Go?" He grinned and said, "Yeah." I thought it was the funniest thing ever.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Am I the only one tired of hearing about this stupid game? I feel like this should be on Touch Arcade or something.

Yeah why should we care about the biggest game smash perhaps in the history of iOS devices and the worldwide effects on company value, commerce, and interest in entirely new ways to play something when we can just talk about camera cutouts for a phone that is months away?!

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
I went to eat with my friends last night at a restaurant and there was a sign that read "Catching pokemon is for paying customers only"

I was like... wow are people really going in and disrupting a business?

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
It's just the beginning. Once AR becomes a thing on smartphones this is going to be a new lifestyle with tons of developers cashing in on the craze. Social networks will pale in comparison.

Reactions: squirrel77

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
I literally laughed out loud
Yeah why should we care about the biggest game smash perhaps in the history of iOS devices and the worldwide effects on company value, commerce, and interest in entirely new ways to play something when we can just talk about camera cutouts for a phone that is months away?!

Reactions: CarlJ and Kaibelf

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Because I was curious, gave it a try. Pales in comparison to Ingress, which helps you learn interesting landmarks in your area, and just provides much, much, more depth. But, getting people to go outside, is a great feature of both!
America is fat-kids go outside and WALK, like I haven't seen FOREVER-it's a great game at the right time, hello???

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
It feels a bit like Pokémon Go (particularly in comparison to Ingress) isn't exactly a game yet. More like an enjoyable pastime, that may blossom into a real game eventually. While Ingress is a fully formed game, with a lot of strategy and coordination between players and a huge organized community. But I know that's the heavily biased viewpoint of a longtime Ingress player - who spent the past few evening walks becoming a level 12 Pokémon trainer (despite being unable to name any Pokémons other than Pikachu a mere week ago).
[doublepost=1468305426][/doublepost]The bit in the story about the restaurant owner who spent $10 in-game on some lure modules to attract humans rather than Pokémons is freaking brilliant - guy deserves a medal for thinking on his feet. :D
[doublepost=1468305713][/doublepost]
It's just the beginning. Once AR becomes a thing on smartphones this is going to be a new lifestyle with tons of developers cashing in on the craze. Social networks will pale in comparison.
Keep in mind that for this to work you need a ton of real-world location data - Niantic developed that over the past three years with help from millions of Ingress players. Now the Pokémon players are reaping the rewards. I think the lack of a dataset like that is going to present a considerable roadblock to those "tons of developers cashing in". Don't expect to see a bunch of (successful, fleshed out) similar games just pop up any time soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I gave it a spin, caught a bunch of low level Pokemon, unlocked the ability to fight gym leaders, saw how hilariously tough they were. Realised there's nothing to do except wander around catching zubats and pidgeys and hoping for enough candys to level them up.

Not my cup of tea. Happy that people are enjoying it.

Reactions: squirrel77

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I gave it a spin, caught a bunch of low level Pokemon, unlocked the ability to fight gym leaders, saw how hilariously tough they were. Realised there's nothing to do except wander around catching zubats and pidgeys and hoping for enough candys to level them up.

Not my cup of tea. Happy that people are enjoying it.

You need catch a bunch of Pokémon - yes, repeats - so you can use their candies to level up your main ones. Also depends on where you live. In my country (Portugal), Pokémon has not been released but there is a ton of data regarding historic landmarks and lots of Pokémon to catch. I assume that if you're in the US many are already battling it out for control over the gyms.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Funny thing is, if you like both, Pokemon piggybacks off of ingress (developer is the same) so you can complete objectives in Pokemon at the same spots you capture points on ingress.

Gameplay or whatever you want. To call it is not as immersive in Pokemon for me, but, I also am not a fan of that genre. Perhaps mom and dad can play ingress while their kids play Pokemon at the same location. That or little siblings and big siblings?

Reactions: Deelron
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.