Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Pokémon Company's latest mobile game, Pokémon Quest, is available starting today on iOS and Android devices after launching on the Nintendo Switch in late May.

A free to play game with in-app purchases, Pokémon Quest takes place in Tumblecube Island, where everything, from the Pokémon to the environment, is cube shaped. The essentials of the game are still Pokémon-esque, and players are tasked with battling wild Pokémon, searching for treasure, exploring new areas, and more.

Pokémon Quest includes the 151 original Pokémon from Pokémon Red and Pokémon Blue, but in a cute cube form.

Players are able to create a three-Pokémon team, befriend Pokémon through items collected in the game, personalize Pokémon with Power Stones to give them unique stats, and create and decorate a base camp.
The Pokémon you know and love have turned into...cubes?! Head out in search of treasure with your cube-shaped Pokémon buddies on Tumblecube Island--a land where everything is a cube! Your goal is to find the awesome goodies said to be hidden on the island!

- Battle by tapping!
The simple controls make for lively and fun battles! Danger is lurking, so you'll need the help of your Pokémon buddies on your expeditions on the island. When wild Pokémon appear, your Pokémon will battle ferociously and knock them out one after another!

- Befriend Pokémon to make your own unique team!
You can use the items you get from your expeditions to befriend more Pokémon or make your Pokémon stronger. Make more buddies to create a team that's all your own, and head out on more expeditions!

- Spruce up your base camp with cute decorations!
Your base camp is your home for this adventure, and you can spruce it up however you like with cute and fun decorations! These decorations can also make your expeditions on the island more beneficial.
Pokémon Quest can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pokémon Quest Now Available for iPhone and iPad

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I wonder if I have to start over on the iPhone or will my game from my nintendo switch sync across some how.

Antes

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2014
So sick and tired of the first 151 pokemon being used all the time. Pass and pass on those switch games as well for this very reason.

Mikey44

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Lol the Pink Panther playing Pokémon that’s a site.

PS: if Pokémon is a Japanese creation why does it have a French accent agu in its name?!

I think it has to do with the translation from Japanese. In Japan, they are called 'Poketto Monsturas' which would translate to Pocket Monsters. In order to make it a more unique name in English, they contracted the word into Pokemon, and added the apostrophe to signify that it is a contracted word.

That's my (educated) guess.

And Wikipedia confirmed my guess.

linkmaster02

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2009
I wonder if I have to start over on the iPhone or will my game from my nintendo switch sync across some how.
Sadly you will have to start over. That's why I only played the Switch version when it came out to see what it was like. Now that it's finally on mobile I can play anywhere, anytime!
[doublepost=1530122831][/doublepost]
Pokémon Mindcraft?! Seriously?!
The gameplay is nothing like Minecraft.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think it has to do with the translation from Japanese. In Japan, they are called 'Poketto Monsturas' which would translate to Pocket Monsters. In order to make it a more unique name in English, they contracted the word into Pokemon, and added the apostrophe to signify that it is a contracted word.

Nicely done :D

Sadly you will have to start over. That's why I only played the Switch version when it came out to see what it was like. Now that it's finally on mobile I can play anywhere, anytime!
[doublepost=1530122831][/doublepost]
The gameplay is nothing like Minecraft.

of course not but the resemblance to Minecraft (thanks for correct spelling) is uncanny. That's what I was referring to.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Bleh. I mean all we want is a full Pokemon game on iPhone. Not this half-baked crap.

Tough. Nintendo made it pretty clear that the REAL meat is going to be on the Switch, which makes total sense for their business. They have a winner there, and they would be foolish to ignore that fact.

slimtastic

Suspended
May 17, 2018
Your Mother's Bedroom
Tough. Nintendo made it pretty clear that the REAL meat is going to be on the Switch, which makes total sense for their business. They have a winner there, and they would be foolish to ignore that fact.
Yes, but it's also foolish to miss out on the wallets of millions of iPhone customers who would gladly pay 30 bucks for a full-on Pokemon title.

awatts

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2018

It’s not an apostrophe, it’s an accent, and as others have pointed out, it’s to tell you to pronounce the e, to get English speakers to say poké instead of poke. Japanese does also use apostrophes in romanization, but to indicate that two adjacent vowels are pronounced separately and not as a diphthong.

Mikey44

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.