Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boynigel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
i recently set up my son with his own apple ID/account. back when he was still on my account more than a few games were purchased and now i'm wondering if they're transferable to his new account, that way he doesn't have to be logged on to my apple id in order to have access. is this do-able?

i just want to have our two accounts completely independent of each other so i'm hoping this is possible.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
i recently set up my son with his own apple ID/account. back when he was still on my account more than a few games were purchased and now i'm wondering if they're transferable to his new account, that way he doesn't have to be logged on to my apple id in order to have access. is this do-able?

i just want to have our two accounts completely independent of each other so i'm hoping this is possible.
If you set up his Apple ID in your "Family Sharing" in iCloud, he can download apps that support Family Sharing.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203046

Usually apps can be shared, but not in-app purchases. So you can share an app you paid for to download, but not an app that you unlocked with an in-app purchase.

Reactions: 0970373

boynigel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
If you set up his Apple ID in your "Family Sharing" in iCloud, he can download apps that support Family Sharing.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203046

Usually apps can be shared, but not in-app purchases. So you can share an app you paid for to download, but not an app that you unlocked with an in-app purchase.

My only concern with this is i don't want him to wind up seeing texts between my wife and i, hence my desire for totally independent accounts. my wife has been known to send me naughty selfies. last thing i want him to see, and he'd likely feel the same way LOL

can i keep our texts/emails out of his reach? if so would there be any way he could inadvertently change a setting that would put him back in our loop from his device?

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
My only concern with this is i don't want him to wind up seeing texts between my wife and i, hence my desire for totally independent accounts. my wife has been known to send me naughty selfies. last thing i want him to see, and he'd likely feel the same way LOL

can i keep our texts/emails out of his reach? if so would there be any way he could inadvertently change a setting that would put him back in our loop from his device?

With his own Apple ID, he won't get message unless they are sent to his phone number or Apple ID. He would have to log in with your Apple ID and password into messages to get your messages.

Family sharing only shares Purchases, not email, messages, photos, etc...

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO

Interesting use of “has been known to” here. (;

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.