Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I swear I saw a thread like this, but can't find it anywhere. Thought it would be fun if we compared the capacity bars in iTunes, I'm certainly interested in the proportions of music/apps/video everyone has.

Mine (may need 32GB next year...)
ScreenShot2011-12-31at112549.png

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Bored?

You need to free up some free space so your phone will not crash. You must have somethinhg you never use :p

himynameiscody

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

cambookpro said:
I swear I saw a thread like this, but can't find it anywhere. Thought it would be fun if we compared the capacity bars in iTunes, I'm certainly interested in the proportions of music/apps/video everyone has.

Mine (may need 32GB next year...)
ScreenShot2011-12-31at112549.png

You really use that many Apps?

himynameiscody

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Stealthipad said:
Bored?

You need to free up some free space so your phone will not crash. You must have somethinhg you never use :p

Isnt there a reserved empty space in case of that

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010

Isnt there a reserved empty space in case of that

I am sure there is, likely in "Other". Still I do not think it is wise to leave so little. No way the OP is using all this stuff. I could see if the majority was music but apps? No way, it is more ego. That IS the reason for this thread.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
You really use that many Apps?

Even though I have more apps than I bother to use, there are quite a few apps out there that take up a large chunk of space. For example, I have both Infinity Blades, Real Racing 2, Tom Tom, GTA3 just to name some big ones (total approx. 2.3GB). Then I have the multitude of apps I keep just because I can. Some I keep because I know others like to play (such as some little cousins of mine).

Well here's mine anyway (sometimes, iTunes likes to wipe my music out, so that bar should be about 7GB less empty :) )
Screen%20Shot%202011-12-31%20at%2011.20.30%20PM.png

2011-12-31%20at%2011:23.png

Last edited:

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I am sure there is, likely in "Other". Still I do not think it is wise to leave so little. No way the OP is using all this stuff. I could see if the majority was music but apps? No way, it is more ego. That IS the reason for this thread.

500MB should be plenty "free" space for that cause..

Don't be so negative btw, just because you can't see a reason doesn't mean anyone else can't, because that's not how it works in this world FYI.

I mean, you might as well use the space, because too much free space isn't doing anything for you, if you wanna install something that is taking up more space than you got free, then you can start removing things you don't really need, you know..

----------

Can anyone tell me how to to do a print screen on a mac please? So I can get that image :)

cmd + shift + 4 and then just use the mouse to click and drag whatever you wanna take a screen dump off - it'll end up on the desktop.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

More ego? OK, riddle me this: I have 5 games I play regularly, which are FIFA 12, RAGE HD, Infinity Blade II, Lego Harry Potter and Infinity Blade. The are all either near 1GB or over. So those 5 apps make up more that 5GB of my 7 of apps. I have less than 40 apps on my phone since I deleted some, still think I'm not using all this stuff? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I know I need to delete things, but I don't get why people are getting so up in arms about this. It's my phone which I paid for, so I'll use the space to my liking. I was just interested in what everyone else had on theirs.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
More ego? OK, riddle me this: I have 5 games I play regularly, which are FIFA 12, RAGE HD, Infinity Blade II, Lego Harry Potter and Infinity Blade. The are all either near 1GB or over. So those 5 apps make up more that 5GB of my 7 of apps. I have less than 40 apps on my phone since I deleted some, still think I'm not using all this stuff? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I know I need to delete things, but I don't get why people are getting so up in arms about this. It's my phone which I paid for, so I'll use the space to my liking. I was just interested in what everyone else had on theirs.

I am very calm. YOU seem to be getting "up in arms about this". Chill. Maybe time for bed?

Even if you HAD go the 64gb iPhone, I bet you would still find "need" to load it up like you have done your existing one.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Relax, he's trolling and you're letting.

Not at home for iTunes.

300MB free mostly due to apps. Also need a 32GB or 64GB and retina display =)

mach250

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2011

Backup all your photos/videos and remove them from your phone

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden

Backup all your photos/videos and remove them from your phone

Good idea but..
If you wanna share them with your friends when you're social, then what do you do?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Good idea but..
If you wanna share them with your friends when you're social, then what do you do?

Back them up to iDisk and Gallery which both support easy linking and sharing to friends... Oh... Right... Apple trashed their Cloud service with the iCloud 'upgrade'

Dropbox/Box/Picasa work great with the right third party apps!

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Back them up to iDisk and Gallery which both support easy linking and sharing to friends... Oh... Right... Apple trashed their Cloud service with the iCloud 'upgrade'

Dropbox/Box/Picasa work great with the right third party apps!

I've tried dropbox and the sad thing is that it only lets you upload one file at a time which is rather time consuming if you wanna have it all up there in the cloud.. hehe yeah, in the beginning i thought apple would use the iCloud in such a manner that you didn't need to store your things on the phone, but rather on the Cloud, i think it's pretty useless that you need to have it on the phone in order to have them in the Cloud, can't really see any benefits with that, except when you trash your phone and need to recover or want to share easily with your other iDevices..

I really hope apple expands the iCloud so that you don't need to store it on the phone..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.