Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joanna94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
I'm wondering if anyone can help me, please - I am currently using an ibook G4 12" with 1G of RAM (moved over to a mac 6mths ago from windows) which works brilliantly except that I would like a larger screen area with a bit better resolution as much of my use on the computer is to do with imaging (not video though). I am torn now between upgrading to either a macbook or macbook pro but also wonder about buying a powerbook 15" from apple's refurbished website as it's size seems perfect. Any thoughts?

playm0de

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2006
Well the macbook pro and powerbook are the same size, so I say go for the macbook pro.

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
I would say go to the MBP, The macbook screen doesn't seem THAT much bigger than a 12 inch iBook. Another option would would consider is buying an external moniter since the specs on the iBook are pretty good and it would be cheaper than either option.

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
I had a 15" Powerbook for about 3 years and recently upgraded to a MacBook. The screen size difference isn't that big of an issue (for me anyway). I think it feels a bit bigger than the 12" screens mainly due to the widescreen form factor - which is MUCH nicer than the standard.

Also, as mentioned, you may want to consider getting an external display. I'm using my 17" Dell display for now until I can get my hands on a 20" Apple Cinema Display.

joanna94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Thanks for all those helpful comments - it seems as though to go backwards with a powerbook is not the answer - it'll be probably be the mbp but I might wait a few weeks as there seem to be rumours re it's update(?).

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
If you prefer the matte finish screen for color accuracy, then you'd want to go for the MBP in matte finish.

If you're budget is tight and you don't qualify for the education discount, then consider a new model refurb.

minnesotamacman

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
Another thought is that you can get a Powerbook that is a year old for around $1200. That isn't bad all things considered. I just picked up a 1.2 year old 17" Powrbook with 1GB RAM for $1,000 on ebay. This is still a good machine with lots of life in it. You could save some dough and get a Powerbook and still get a MBP down the road.

maycontainnutz

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2006
yah, go with the MacBook Pro... it has a lot of awesome features that the PowerBook doesn't and it's up to date... well worth it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.