Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

padaxax

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2015
Hello guys,

I have following problem with my brand new MBP 15 late 2016:

Since I updated the OS to 10.12.3. I receive the following message whenever I open any file on my Mac:

"document1.pdf is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash."

It is equal what kind of file I open, let it be .pdf .docx .jpeg - I always receive the message from above. However I can view the files by using preview with the blank key.

I figured out, that it has to do with gatekeeper settings. When I change the settings from "App Store" to "App Store and verified developers" first the system does not save my selection and second I still can not open any file on my mac.

I then found a way to disable gatekeeper by using following terminal command sudo spctl --master-disable and I am know able to open any of my files just like normal.

But this is not a long term solution, since I want my mac to stay safe.

Does anyone know what else I could do?

QzzB

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
London
Im assuming the programs which aren't working were installed before the upgrade? Just out of interest what do you usually open the PDF file in?? The default is Preview and should work fine as its part of the OS, so assuming you have Adobe reader or similar?

Might be worth trashing the apps and reinstalling with the new OS. something might of gone wrong with the gatekeeper and the pre-installed app. Might be worth giving it a go with a app like Office first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.