Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kc2ine

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
I have 2 minis in different rooms on the same floor, one is working with no problem and the other worked fine for a day or two and today started acting weird. Status in network says it's connected to my wireless network but no internet connection, I always use dynamic ip allocation but when I use this on the problematic mini after a while it says "self-assigned ip and you will not be able to connect to internet". When I put manually IP it is connecting to my network but no internet. what the heck ??? any help? In airport utility internet icon is yellow.:confused:

kc2ine

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
ok, solved - I moved the mini 3 feet to the other corner of the desk and works firne nnow :eek:
obviously it was week signal problem but why so strange behavior instead of showing week signal on the status bar :confused:

K9TF

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
How is your internet speed?

I had issues with ATT U-verse and Time Capsule. Both were WIFI modems. I had ATT disable the U-Verse wire less WIFI, hard wired the Time Capsule to U Verse and just let Time Capsule be the WIFI modem. All other hard wired devices and Mac books, cell phone run through the Time Capsule first. Speed is now very fast.

The two wireless modems also collided and fedd back on each other, they got confused.

K9TF

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Older Airport Express? Why is that?

I had to use a direct cable connection. 30ft from Time Capsule. Where would that be placed at the Mac mini? Not familiar with that.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Older Airport Express? Why is that?

I had to use a direct cable connection. 30ft from Time Capsule. Where would that be placed at the Mac mini? Not familiar with that.

It's slightly less expensive and can be had really cheap used. OP is welcomed to buy which ever.

The AE can be placed anywhere as long as the mac mini can pick up the signal. The closer the better.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
I have recently seen brand new previous-generation Airport Express units going for $69. DealMac is a great place to search for such deals and setup e-mail alerts so you are notified when a particular item has been discounted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.